The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Anybody using a 90mm Summarit on an M9?

KurtKamka

Subscriber Member
I used a 75mm Summarit on an M8.2 for a few months and thought it was quite a good lens ... better than I expected. I'm thinking that I might want to pick up something in the 90mm focal length and am wondering if anyone has any thoughts on the 90mm Summarit. Does anyone have experience with the lens on an M9?

Kurt

dfarkas

Workshop Member
I used a 75mm Summarit on an M8.2 for a few months and thought it was quite a good lens ... better than I expected. I'm thinking that I might want to pick up something in the 90mm focal length and am wondering if anyone has any thoughts on the 90mm Summarit. Does anyone have experience with the lens on an M9?

Kurt
Kurt,

I haven't used the 90mm Summarit on the M9 yet, so can't speak directly to it's full frame performance.

I do use my "old" 90mm Elmarit (the latest one) and it is really, really good. I guess this is why I never decided to switch out for the Summarit.

Incidentally, I happen to have both of these lenses available in Leica Certified Pre-Owned with warranty. I don't have the Elmarit online yet, but here's a link to the Summarit:

Certified Pre-Owned Leica Summarit-M 90mm f/2.5 | Dale Photo & Digital

As always, you can drop me a line if you are looking for something in particular.

David

DaveS

Yes, I have the Summarit and have used it on the M9, M8 and EP-1. (and M3) I really like it, it is relatively small, and very sharp and very even focus out to the corners.

You have to be careful about focus wide open, as it was tack sharp for me at infinity with all cameras and always bang on with the EP1 since you can focus with the 10X magnifier feature. I wasn't always getting tack sharp hand help with the M9 wide open, to the point I got out my tripod and did some careful focusing tests and it is fine. (It was just me not taking my time focusing and going too fast wide open)

You can basically carry it in your pocket, and if you fit a 35 or 28, and have the 90 it makes a nice walk around pair.

I had the 90 C elmar before, and it is sharper than the C, I had the latest 90 2.8, and it is about the same. I haven't had the 90 APO so can't compare. With pretty clean 1000 ISO on the M9 plus this lens you can do a lot of available light. And the price is pretty good.

happy with mine,
Dave

stevem8

Hey Kurt!

Shot both on my M9 and can say the Elmarit is a better lens IMO. I was deciding between all 90's and finally ended up with the Elmarit. Great lens on the M9.