A must read story

OK, it's not a Leica, but the spirit is there. A must read:

http://vivianmaier.blogspot.com/

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: A must read story

excellent work

waist level finder, rollei TLR, square, B/W, that tiny "snick" of a shutter...yumm!

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Amazing talent! Nice find. Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like

yea, but be sure and read the story. It's as impressive as the work

Post Thanks / Like

FS: All my photo equipment. Every last little piece. All offers will be accepted.

I stand in awe of talented photographers. Also, I am often aware that many of the pictures that are so wonderful to me now might have been "prosaic" or unimpressive to me at the time they were shot, but now they are fabulously awesome captures of moods and worlds now gone. This shows that not only do I not see, but I can't even understand what is in front of me. That is the gift of the artist.
    Last edited by tom in mpls; 11th January 2010 at 07:43.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

A wonderful find..thanks for posting! As hapopens with all generations, these particular images bring back to life that era in a most unassuming and natural way yet the talents of the photographer, her "eye" for composition and timing was clearly evident in many of the images posted. I'm sure for those seen on that web page, each has a favorite....mine so far is the older woman staring straight ahead on the sidewalk while just behind her, a police officer is taking someone in for arrest. I could make a case (no punn intended) for some images. Nice find indeed for the OP as well as the individual who purchased and revealed her images.

Dave (D&A)

Post Thanks / Like

Wow. Great stuff. An inspiration to dust off the Rollei. Interesting that she had no ambition beyond making compelling photographs of the world around here. I hope the purchaser can do her images justice.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I see a relation between her camera and the pictures. The fact that it is a square format and that you can see the picture from above is very appealing for me.

tokengirl

I have been following this blog for a few months now, I enjoy seeing the "new" old photos as he develops the film and posts the photos.

I am so pleased that these treasures are being rescued for all to see. They are like little diamonds in the rough.

Post Thanks / Like

OK, little diamonds in the rough, & historically interesting. But among contemporaries like Lisette Model & Helen Levitt, she doesn't seem to have been gifted with unusual vision?

Kirk

Senior Subscriber Member Mike Hatam's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Kirk - I would disagree...

I'm no expert, or photo critic, and I'm not even sure what constitutes exceptional street photography. But I was quite moved by her images. I have not been that moved by an unknown street photographer for quite some time.

Mike
    Mike Hatam
    Sony A99, RX1, RX100

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by thompsonkirk View Post
    ...among contemporaries like Lisette Model & Helen Levitt, she doesn't seem to have been gifted with unusual vision?
    Of course we do not all have the same reactions. It goes without saying that I respect your opinion. I hated Up in the Air, which most movie goers seem to adore. I don't know the other photographers; I assume they were wonderful, but to my eyes Ms. Maier was definitely "gifted with unusual vision". As I look through the several pages of photos, I am repeatedly surprised by her evocative images and the details she sees.
    Last edited by tom in mpls; 12th January 2010 at 06:52.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Beautiful and very inspiring - thanks for sharing!

Don
    Don Libby
    Iron Creek Photography
    Blog
    Tucson AZ

Chris_R

Great Images, Thanks for finding and sharing it

Cheers
    Chris

Subscriber & Workshop Member GrahamWelland's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

What an excellent find!

I find the anonymity of the shooter and the whole body of work fascinating and totally understandable. An artist for personal art's sake. It's also a fascinating social documentary too.

It also reminds me of what I miss about shooting square images from my old SL-66 & Kodak DCS645M/Mamiya combo too.

Post Thanks / Like

Wow... Inspirational. Decisive moment. Personally... I love it

She has guts... Rollie TLR is quiet enough that she can get away with some of the shots.

Excellent find.

Thank You

Robert

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

What a GREAT story, and so inspirational. I love the photographs, she certainly was an artist! This invokes so many questions of her.

I hope to hear more of this unique and poignant story about the photographer and the person who found these treasures.

I'm so glad this was shared for us to enjoy!

Gary P

Subscriber & Workshop Member GrahamWelland's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

One thing that I find interesting about the story, and somewhat sad about the future, is the fact that someone was able to pick up the undeveloped rolls of film and negatives - physical photographs. The same thing is true of piles of prints or glass plates that turn up in estate sales or clearances.

I wonder how many people will be able to do the same thing in the future when, at best, we'd be talking about a pile of indexed and labelled DVD/BluRay disks or more likely an anonymous hard disk or disk array. The first inclination of anyone coming across a pile of computer disks or hardware is to simply junk it. Who knows what will be lost ...

Post Thanks / Like

Great story, and I could spend days just looking through the photos. They're not amazing in any significant way on their own, but that's one of the things I struggle with. Not every picture has to be amazing, but if you can tell a story, prompt a question, or just create something to remember a person or experience, it doesn't have to be breathtaking. Together with the story, really a neat group of photos.

Post Thanks / Like

Touching story and lovely, moving photos. Thanks for pointing this out.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GrahamWelland View Post
    One thing that I find interesting about the story, and somewhat sad about the future, is the fact that someone was able to pick up the undeveloped rolls of film and negatives - physical photographs. The same thing is true of piles of prints or glass plates that turn up in estate sales or clearances.

I wonder how many people will be able to do the same thing in the future when, at best, we'd be talking about a pile of indexed and labelled DVD/BluRay disks or more likely an anonymous hard disk or disk array. The first inclination of anyone coming across a pile of computer disks or hardware is to simply junk it. Who knows what will be lost ...
    Which leads to the conclusion that we need to print more

Great story, many compelling photographs. A broke photographer with a day job who created some very nice art, but lacked skill in displaying her work while she was alive. How many rffers and getdpiers will be "discovered" like Vivian after we assume room temperature?