The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Let's talk 75 and 90mm

innerimager - which Leica 75 or 90 focuses closer than the 0.7m of the 75/1.4 lux? Thanks.
Hi- friends call me Peter btw. ;>)
The 75 lux focuses to 0.8 M, not 0.7M. The 75 cron asph focuses to 0.7 M, the summarit to 0.9M. I don't believe any leica 90 focuses as close as the 75s except the f4 macro which focuses to 0.76M without an adapter, and 0.5M with an adapter. best....Peter

W

wilsonlaidlaw

As I posted on another thread, I think the final version 90 Elmarit-M 2.8 is a wonderful lens. Ultra sharp, very small, great hood and I think it draws beautifully. I am so glad I got it and not a 90 Summarit. I bought a 75 Summarit very soon afterwards. The first one was so poor I took it back to the dealer that same week, who agreed it was awful and exchanged it. The second one at least focuses accurately but I am not enamoured. It seems the opposite of the usual 3D that only Leica and Zeiss lenses seem to have. Its rendition is ordinary and lacks sparkle. I am wondering if Leica have quietly updated the formula. I tried a friend's recent one and it seemed better if not stellar. I wish I had waited and got a Summicron for a 75. As a half way there is always the excellent Zeiss 85/f2 (the older M8 75mm frame is close to spot on for this lens). However it is very expensive and talk about a weird shape.

Wilson

Double Negative

Not Available
The 2,8/90 Elmarit-M is a killer lens. Great bang for the buck... I added the vignetting in post. As I recall, this was wide open at MFD:

ashwinrao1

I currently own the 90 APO-cron, 75 Lux, and 75 cron. I used to own the 75 summarit, 90 tele-elmarit, and a 90 elmarit.

So I guess I have some experience in ownership and useage. Here's my take:

90 elmarit (last version with telescoping hood.): Possible the best all 'rounder. Great deal, compact, great great IQ, sharp but forgiving, amazing, and possibly one of the most under-rated and underappreciated lenses in the lens lineup. By most accounts, it is optically and cosmetically superior to the 90 summarit that replaced it. I miss mine and, at times, consider returning to it. I list it here first, as I think it is "The Best Buy" of all Leica 75/90 lenses. Runs around $500-$800 used.

....however....

The 90-APO cron is pure magic. It's the sharpest lens in the M lineup, in terms of getting those micro details. This makes it great for compressed landscape work. It's a stop faster than the elmarit, but what you lose in return in size. It's much bigger, by feel, than the elmarit, but it's a no compromise lens. Plus, by Leica standards, it's a relative bargain to find one used (usually around $2K, got mine for $1700 last year)... CUrrently runs around $2K - $2500 used, $ 3500 new

The 75 summilux is magic, in terms of its drawing. It has a very different look than the modern 75's (summarit and cron, hence why I have the cron). It's a beast of a lens, so if size bothers you, don't get it. If you want the most unique signature (possibly as unique as the noctilux f/1), this is the lens to have. Lower contrast (macro contrast that is), and it blooms a bit wide open on the M8 and M9, but sharpens very much at narrower apertures. It's a beast of a lens, but great for portraits...actually, in my mind, the best Leica portrait lens. So if portraits are your thing, if you like the more classic Mandler style Leica look, AND size doesn't bother you, this is the lens to have. Runs around $2400-2800 used.

The 75 APO Summicron Asph is a terrific lens. It is the most modern in character (in line with Peter Karbe's designs), and it looks much like the 50 lux asph in character . It's much smaller in feel than the 75 lux and a better option for travel. I would not take the 75 lux on a long trip, but I would certainly bring along the 75 cron if my kit were a 24/35/75 kit. Many speak of this as the best 75 lens, and it probably is technically. It doesn't have the classic glow of the 75 lux, but it has its own modern look that i find very satisfying. It's why I purchased it, despite having the 75 lux. Runs around $3K used, $3400 new.

The 75 summarit is very close in character to the 75 cron, more modern in look, nice build, and a real bargain...This is the best bargain of the 75's, and if you like the modern signature, go for this lens....the only big drawback is the screw on hood, which really adds to the length of the hood, and the longer min focus distance (.9 meters compared to something like 0.75 meters for the 75 summicron). I owned this lens for a year when it first came out, but I found myself reaching for the 75 lux more. Great deal, though! Runs around $1,100 used, $1500 new.

The 90 Tele-Elmarit: I had the thin tele-elmarit. I liked it for its size, but not much else. I tried it out for about a month, and returned it to my dealer for a re-stocking fee. I thought it was a very technically sound lens. It's out of focus rendering was a bit harsh, a bit geometric, not as pleasing as the 90 elmarit. I already had the 90 APO-cron and thought I'd use the 90 Tele-elmarit in circumstances where size mattered. Turns out that I didn't care...I'd still bring the APO-cron, so the Tele-Elmarit left. It's a good lens, really, but just not for me. If size is your priority, this is the lens to get, as it is tiny. Runs around $500-700 used.

I have not tried the CV 75 color Heliar, but I have heard that this is a steal of a lens. Not as well built. Bokeh is pleasing, but not quite upto Leica standards, whatever that means (I think it's a bit of bunk...it seems to have a bit more geometry in the bokeh), and it's quite sharp, though not like the 90 elmarit or apo cron.

90 summarit: I have no experience, but I have heard it's a fair performer...

tom in mpls

Briefly mentioned, but no real discussion. Any info on the 90mm f/4 Macro-Elmar? It would be tough to give up a full stop vs. the cron. The size is compelling but extending it for use looks dorky. And I can't find a picture of the hood.

D&A

Hi Tom,

I think you meant that that the difference between the 90 f4 macro and Cron is a two stop difference, not one.

The 90 f4 macro is an astonishing lens, aside from it's relatively slow speed. Whether shooting in close focus range without macro adapter, or up to 1:3 macro territory with matching "macro adapter"...or even at normal or infinity distances, this lens never fails to disappoint. !ven it's bokeh is exceptionally smooth. It's not as convient to use as other regular 90's...especially if you decide to extend it out each time prior to use. The hood is a reversable type, or one can purchase a screw-in aftermarket that stays in shooting position all the time. Great travel lens for a variety of uses but of course under adaquate light.

Dave (D&A)

Tim Gray

Briefly mentioned, but no real discussion. Any info on the 90mm f/4 Macro-Elmar? It would be tough to give up a full stop vs. the cron. The size is compelling but extending it for use looks dorky. And I can't find a picture of the hood.
It's a great lens. Very compact - one of my smallest lenses in the bag. When you need it, you extend it and leave it extended. Who cares what it looks like?

Very sharp, nice bokeh, flare resistant, etc. Focuses closer than other 90's and gives you the highest reproduction ratio of any M lens that I know of (1:6.7). That's without the adapter. With the adapter, it goes to 1:3. Sure, it's not a real macro lens, but if you are traveling and want to keep it light, it's awesome. Great for a compressed landscape AND throwing on the adapter to get a nice detail shot of whatever catches your fancy. On top of all that, if you don't use it, it sits quietly in the bag not taking up too much space/weight.

If you want a portrait lens for indoors, go for a different lens. I like mine as a travel lens as stated above. For low light stuff, I'm better off with my 50/1.4 than I would be with a 90/2 anyway. Before I had mine, I just had to give up on certain shots while traveling light.

tom in mpls

Who cares what it looks like?
Comment appreciated, thanks.

It's small size (collapsed) is a great plus, but then there's the big hood. Yes, I understand that you can store the hood on backwards, but if I were taking it for travel I would be sorely tempted to skip the hood. Have you shot it without the hood?

Last edited:

Tim Gray

I bought mine used here - it didn't come with the hood. I've been meaning to pick one up, but haven't convinced myself to drop $75 for something I'll probably never use. So yes, I've shot it without the hood :D

I've not had any noticeable problem with flare with it. I've shot it in the sun in Sante Fe, NM, as well as here on the East coast and it's always been fine. I haven't done any stress testing of it though with respect to flare.

I should note I've only shot it with film.

charlesphoto

Comment appreciated, thanks.

It's small size (collapsed) is a great plus, but then there's the big hood. Yes, I understand that you can store the hood on backwards, but if I were taking it for travel I would be sorely tempted to skip the hood. Have you shot it without the hood?
I just got one a few days ago. Great lens and super sharp though I do miss the extra couple of stops over my 90 APO. But the APO is such a chunk I never want to carry it around unless on a job. The macro-elmar is seriously lighter than a 35 cron and not that much bigger than a 50 cron.

Best to forego the hood designed for it and find the small screw on hood for the 50 elmarit which comes in black or silver. Really only need a hood for protection; a UV filter would be just as good and find yourself a slip on cap. Like most of Leica's modern designs the lens is pretty flareproof. Not sure what they were thinking when they designed that hood.

Tim Gray

Mine came with a slip on cap and I use a UV filter on it for protection. I think the hood (12575) is an old design that was repurposed for this lens.

John Black

To balance things with my earlier posts regarding the 90mm Summicron Pre-ASPH, here are two taken wide open with 75 APO & M9:

Relative to the 90mm Summicron Pre-ASPH, if focus distance can be shortened and the background is at moderate distance, the 75 APO's bokeh is very smooth (speaking mostly in reference to the 2nd shot). The 90's have good bokeh potential, but in my experience, shooting 90mm portraits at F2 on the M8 were more miss than hit, so I tended to stop-down the 90mm to ~F4 to improve the odds. The 75 APO does seem easier to focus in the wild, but the jury is still out on that one.

I have a 90 APO on its way back from DAG, so hopefully the Mrs. will cooperate again and sit through another couple rounds while I indulge in portrait lenses! LOL

Lloyd

To balance things with my earlier posts regarding the 90mm Summicron Pre-ASPH, here are two taken wide open with 75 APO & M9:

Relative to the 90mm Summicron Pre-ASPH, if focus distance can be shortened and the background is at moderate distance, the 75 APO's bokeh is very smooth (speaking mostly in reference to the 2nd shot). The 90's have good bokeh potential, but in my experience, shooting 90mm portraits at F2 on the M8 were more miss than hit, so I tended to stop-down the 90mm to ~F4 to improve the odds. The 75 APO does seem easier to focus in the wild, but the jury is still out on that one.

I have a 90 APO on its way back from DAG, so hopefully the Mrs. will cooperate again and sit through another couple rounds while I indulge in portrait lenses! LOL
Beautiful John. Oh, and nice portraits too. :D

That is some gorgeous bokeh, for sure.