The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Let's talk 75 and 90mm

ampguy

Hi Peter,

I did some tests, and am getting perfect min. focus to about 0.65m with an M8 using laser and sonar measuring.

The last German 75 luxes do have markings in ft. to 2.5' and 0.8m, but you can rotate them about 20 degrees (out of the long throw of ~180 deg) closer focus than the markings, and they behave pretty much linearly.

Give it a try if you have the latest (last) German 75 lux.

Ted

Hi- friends call me Peter btw. ;>)
The 75 lux focuses to 0.8 M, not 0.7M. The 75 cron asph focuses to 0.7 M, the summarit to 0.9M. I don't believe any leica 90 focuses as close as the 75s except the f4 macro which focuses to 0.76M without an adapter, and 0.5M with an adapter. best....Peter

henningw

Hi Peter,

I did some tests, and am getting perfect min. focus to about 0.65m with an M8 using laser and sonar measuring.

The last German 75 luxes do have markings in ft. to 2.5' and 0.8m, but you can rotate them about 20 degrees (out of the long throw of ~180 deg) closer focus than the markings, and they behave pretty much linearly.

Give it a try if you have the latest (last) German 75 lux.

Ted
My Canadian one performs similarly. There seems to be no actual difference in close focussing between my 75/2 and 75/1.4.

Henning

Ocean

Senior Subscriber Member
I have a 90 APO on its way back from DAG, so hopefully the Mrs. will cooperate again and sit through another couple rounds while I indulge in portrait lenses! LOL
John,

Would love to hear your feedback on your 90 APO after service. I had difficult time using my 90 APO on M8 so I sent it to DAG for adjustment. Now the focus tolerance is a bit tighter but it is still not easy to achieve sharp focus at f2,0. In comparison, I have much better success rate using my 75 Summilux at f1.4. Many suggested that 90 APO should be sent back to Solms for service due to special equipment requirement of APO.

Kind regards,

ramosa

I have read--and reread--hundreds of threads on 90mm lenses over the past year [here, on LUF, RFF, photo.net, etc.], and this is the best and most informative by far. Bravo!