The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Images from the Carmel Workshop

woodyspedden

And Here I am stuck on a Vancouver-Shanghai-Beijing-Tokyo trip.
I wish I were there.
See you in San Juan.
-bob
Me too Robert

See you and all the guys and girls in San Juan. Haven't been there for the best part of 30 years. This will be fun.

Woody

LJL

Ahhh. The Leica still has that sumthin' sumthin' doesn't it? Very nice.
Tim,
Without looking at EXIF data, I had the same impression that Guy's round the table shots were with the M8....especially the one of Jack. You are correct about the "sumthin' sumthin' ":thumbup:

LJ

robsteve

Subscriber
We made a visit to Camera West this evening. It is a very impressive store with that old style service and most importantly, old style inventory. I was only looking for a few items, including quick release plates for my cameras. The owner, Sean checked their inventory and when there was nothing in the new inventory, found me a nice used Kirk plate for my DMR at a very good price.

I was very tempted by a 50mm Summilux ASPH, but I would have to trade my Noctilux in on it and as I explained to one of the staff, it would have been like parting with one of my children. On a positive note, the trade in they offered on the Noctilux was a very fair price. The 50mm Summilux ASPH was in probably mint- shape with perfect mechanical and optics. It was also coded. In my tests, it focused perfectly both near and far. If anybody is interested in a 50mm Summilux that focuses well on the M8, give Sean a call at Camera West.

Here is a Noctilux picture of Jack, just after he made a new purchase.

This is my hand held near focus test of the 50mm Summilux, using the price tag for the lens as a target.

Terry

I'm a little too tired to process a lot of images but here are two from today.

D300 50mm f8 6 seconds
View attachment 2904

A little bit later with the M8
Dummy camera operator forgot to turn lens detection back on after shooting the CV 12 but I think this was the 28 cron if I'm wrong it was the 21 Elmarit

View attachment 2905

Last edited:

gogopix

Subscriber
Dear All in CArmel

with so much talent and so much different gear, you all have an opportunity to show the renderings of the SAME scene from various combos; MF, Nikon, Leica etc.
ALthought the '
"same body, same lens, same sensor, different pressure on the shutter button"
type tests are of academic interest, what many might like to see is what each camera does in the real world.

How 'bout it!?

regards (and looks like a wonderful outing!)
Victor

cmb_

Subscriber & Workshop Member
As Rob mentioned, we had an excursion to Camera West this evening. Here is a shot of the owner, Sean, shot with a 5cm/1.5 Summarit I got while at the shop (in immaculate condition).

Another one with the 5cm/1.5.

gogopix

Subscriber
oK EVERYBODY up, up up :clap: :clap: :clap:

It's 5AM and this is your 'sunrise light' wake up call!

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Okay, time for one or two quick processes and uploads before class. From Yesterday morning:

robsteve

Subscriber
Here are a few from the workshop.

Here Jack is instructing us on the use of colour spaces.

Guy looks on and presses the keyboard keys to advance the slide show while Jack is at the front of the class presenting the lesson. Occasionally, Guy will interject a few pearls of wisdom in regards to subjects being presented and his experience in the commercial world.

Here Jack is working the controls, while Guy presents the material. The Leica Representative, Tom Brichta, looks on. Just to show the DMR still works, this was shot with the DMR and 21-35mm during Guy's street shooting presentation.

After the lights go out, out comes the Noctilux again.

A few from diner last night. This is Chris admiring all the fast lenses on the other side of the table. Charles had his new 50mm f1.5 and I had my Noctilux. This was shot with the Noctilux.

I shot this with the Nocti, just before the one above and realized I didn't have the camera on auto but a manual shutter speed of 1/250th. When I looked at it on the computer, I thought it looked cool. This is John, very underexposed.

Last edited:

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Not sure you want to know what I was testing here from Camera West. maybe taking this bad boy home. But as you get see why I got excited looking at the crop and this is at 4.5 ISO 80

LJL

Ah, the plot moistens!! I just knew Jack would have you drooling on your shoetops over this stuff ;-) (You were already there, but then got sidetracked with the D300 a bit....Just keep it as the back-up for your D3 that is coming, and get this ZD to start having even more fun!! I looked at one the other day, and it hurt to put it down. That is why I started the other MF thread, which now has me seeing way more $$$ in the game.)

Have fun, and remember to call the CC company when your numbers get run smooth from all the passes by the devices, magnetic and otherwise ;-)

LJ

P.S. BTW, it looks like you folks are having some great times and having a great workshop also. This is all good.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Well if I do this the D3 will not happen but that is okay. I can use the D300 for the event work and call it a day.

robsteve

Subscriber
Here are a few from our excursions.

This was from a wharf at Cannery Row. I used the 90mm APO here.

This is the 50mm Summicron shooting IR yesterday morning before suset.

After the sun rose, Mike shooting a seagull.