The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Images from the Carmel Workshop

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Well it is all about the light. Robert looks like you nailed it, great shots. That place is my new happy spot. I'm moving in

robsteve

Subscriber
Beauties Robert, great light! (And they'll look really nice printed out to about 16x24 :D)

PS: Still cannot get over the detail in that harbor shot you took with the 30 year old Summicron 50 on your M8! It has to be the single sharpest file I have ever processed off an M8, at least centrally. May have to consider getting one of those in the near future ;)

Kudos,
Yes, a new Epson may be in my future. The Harbor print was shot with the DMR and probably a 20 year old 50mm Summicron. The 50mm Summicron for the M, the latest optical version is even better than the R lens I used for this shot.

Here is the the image used for the print resized for web for those who have not seen it.

Last edited:

robsteve

Subscriber
These are lovely Robert - did you make it down to the beach? (is it possible)?
Presumably they were taken with the M8?
I used the DMR with 21-35mm and 35-70mm lenses. I don't think you can get to the beach here. There was a trail to get closer for the waterfall shot, but the trail was closed and I shot from the road. That trail did not look like it went to the beach.

Robert

Guy Mancuso

You should and go by yourself and relax. You earned it

And when you get to the waterfall , put a sign up GetDPI Happy Place. Just throw a sleeping bag down there and some food and i will move in.

cmb_

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Do I hear 8 foot print????
We may need to upgrade our 3800's to the 9880!

Guy, I should send you my DMR file from the waterfall (almost the same view as your M8 file) for you to work up the same and compare, although my exposure and focus could be very different from yours.

Guy Mancuso

Charlie we actually shot that with the DMR, M8 and the ZD all from the same spot. Might be a interesting comparison. We did not even think of that but the ZD will be closer since i only had the 80mm

robsteve

Subscriber
STOP IT! Dang, now for sure I'm heading back over there this week!
I took a drive there this afternoon rather than just sit around waiting for my 8pm flight. It was very windy with a bit of fog to give these shots yet another look. These are just straight processing out of lightroom while I wait for my 8pm flight. DMR shots using the 35-70mm at about 60mm for the Vista Point image and the rest were with the 21-35mm.

This is Vista Point.

Don't know the name of this, but on the way back from Vista point.

Here is the bridge shot from a distance.

The church opposite Carmel Beach.

Terry

Hi Robert,
It is great to see a scene in different light and different weather. Love the the last Carmel. Safe travels.

cmb_

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Wow Robert! On the ride to the airport I was saying to Terry it would be nice to shoot this area in different weather (fog, clouds, rain, wind, big surf).

Looking forward to seeing more from your travel. The church is classic, very nice.

P.S. Changed the screen on the DMR today - big difference. Took off the magnifier from Brighscreen as well and still easier.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
You non locals may not full understand just how good you had it weather wise -- really only a few days per year where it is that clear. In Robert's last images, you can see the beginnings of how the early/late fog banks form, and in a few more weeks, there'll be a lot more fog, probably until September.

Terry

You non locals may not full understand just how good you had it weather wise -- really only a few days per year where it is that clear. In Robert's last images, you can see the beginnings of how the early/late fog banks form, and in a few more weeks, there'll be a lot more fog, probably until September.
Well "Farmer Jack" do you have some chits with a higher authority that you got us snow in Moab and crystal clear fogless days on the coast?

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Well "Farmer Jack" do you have some chits with a higher authority that you got us snow in Moab and crystal clear fogless days on the coast?
I'd love to take full credit, but admittedly it's nothing more than educated guesses from having photographed these areas for several years -- that combined with some really good luck.

Then again, maybe it is that Guy and I just have serious good workshop Karma :angel: