Site Sponsors

Thread: What you guys think of upgrading my M8 to a M8.u ?

Post Thanks / Like

What you guys think of upgrading my M8 to a M8.u ?

Hi there,

Although I would like to buy a M8.2 or even a M9, the current aquisition of a WATE makes that impossible otherwise the wife ...

Now seriously, I was thinking :

A good, mint M8.2 goes around for 2.500 pounds / 3000 euros / 4000 usd , or something around that region.

For one third of this, if still running, I can get my M8 upgraded to a M8.2 - shutter and framelines. I dont care about the sapphire glass.

Which seems perfect to me while I get money together for that M9 and then have two bodies : M8.u and M9.

I have just sent an email to Leica asking if the upgrade program is still running and what is the average turnaround for this as of today.

What you guys think ? Good idea ? Stupid ?

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: What you guys think of upgrading my M8 to a M8.u ?

Quote Originally Posted by proenca View Post
    Hi there,

Although I would like to buy a M8.2 or even a M9, the current aquisition of a WATE makes that impossible otherwise the wife ...

Now seriously, I was thinking :

A good, mint M8.2 goes around for 2.500 pounds / 3000 euros / 4000 usd , or something around that region.

For one third of this, if still running, I can get my M8 upgraded to a M8.2 - shutter and framelines. I dont care about the sapphire glass.

Which seems perfect to me while I get money together for that M9 and then have two bodies : M8.u and M9.

I have just sent an email to Leica asking if the upgrade program is still running and what is the average turnaround for this as of today.

What you guys think ? Good idea ? Stupid ?
    Hi There
    Well, having upgraded 2 M8s . . and then selling them both when I got an M9, I think that the upgrade procedure was probably the only bad bit of the deal.

If you are thinking of getting an M9 and using your M8 as a backup, then there is an argument to say that the M8 will be a better backup than the M8u (i.e. you'll have the higher shutter speed for bright light).

Why not put the money away in a pot and save it for your M9?

Incidentally, I didn't manage to chip in on the WATE thread, but it sounds like you got a great deal, and it really is a lovely lens, fiddly on the M8 (but still wonderful) - on the M9 it's set free!

all the best

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like

Jono,

thanks for having the time to reply - good answer.

Nonetheless, Leica slashed the prices on the upgrades and since I will eventually upgrade to a M9 but not right now, the upgrade starts to make a bit of sense.

Specially when I enquired the price and for 900€ they do the upgrade AND with shipping included ( UPS ) to Portugal - turn around time of 10-12 days.

Seems a good deal to me and while I could put that money away for the M9, the M9 availability is still scarce and well, the total money for the M9 is still 5000€ or so - having bought a WATE now and the big holiday trip comming up , I think the M9 is postpone until last quarter 2010, which would be good since until there the supply issue will be resolved - I hope.

Interim, seems a good option to update my M8 to a M8.2 - 8000/th speed is nice but to be honest, I rarely use it - can live much better with the brighter frame lines and with a more silent shutter.

Cheers

Senior Member Ron (Netherlands)'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

although I have the M8.2, I would think that uprading costs + the investment in the M8, costs as much, so no difference actually. Perhaps an M8.2 keeps its value a little longer but if I look at upgraded LTM Leica's in the fifties: they have nowadays as much value as the original ones, so all is quite relative.
    Leica: IIa sync conversion, M6 TTL Millenium, Fuji X-E1;
    My Flickr