The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

The M9 as a Landscape camera

dannh

I'm curious about the topic for this thread, is there some reason or some collective thought that the M9 *isn't* good as a landscape camera? Or is it just that most people use Rangefinders for street use or something?

I'm a sucker for landscapes and one of the draws for me to the M9 (with some good glass) was the great color and corner sharpness I've seen in people's shots around here. I got really tired of the mushy mushy corners with my Canon gear.

Don Libby

James – yeah you’re right the M9 just stinks for landscape. :ROTFL: Glad I’m still getting one.

Great images btw!

Don

jklotz

great color and corner sharpness I've seen in people's shots around here. I got really tired of the mushy mushy corners with my Canon gear.
Well there's that, but also this, which is huge for me: I had to hike about a mile through the marsh to get that shot with the stick. Over my shoulder was a small bag with a camera and 3 lenses. Had I taken my 5DII and 3 lenses, I'm not sure I would have wanted to make that hike.

jklotz

Thanks Don. Here's another, again with the CV 35, that I like a lot. Course' I regret not having the foliage in the foreground in focus, but other than that....

proenca

Indeed it is, I do actually believe your words 100%.

You know why ? Because the M8 already is an excellent landscape camera. Yap, I could work with those extra 8 mp but here is the proof that the M8 does the job with flying colours :

Fading light, M8 + 35mm Summaron on Scotland

Very fading light, M8 + CV15mm on Cape Cod

Bright light, M8 + Cv15mm on Chetcham Beach

Hummm M8+50mm Noctilux erm... hum.. memory fades me, somewhere in the USA

Last but not least, M8+CV15 + very long exposure ( 3-4 seconds ? ) on Brazil

So sorry to crash the M9 party with some M8 pictures, but to be honest my expectations regarding the M9 as a landscape camera are quite high - I expect for it to be at least as good as the M8, which is already very good, at least to me.

Knorp

I'm not much of a landscape photographer, but I got excellent results from my M8 and expect and believe the M9 to do even better !
| elmarit-m 1:2.8/21mm asph | m8 |

Glencoe / Scotland

Don Libby

Knorp - Like both but really like the second!

If the M9 weren't available didn't offer full frame I'd be jumping on the M8/8.2 for what I want to do with it. The only real obstacle for me is the lack of full frame and that's just my own quirk.

I've seen breathtaking landscape images taken with both the M8 and M9. My heart belongs to the M9 for reason stated above.

Cheers

Don

Jerry_R

Great shots!
I really hope CV15 + M9 will work in terms of color shift. I've read that latest CornerFix version solves that.
I also wonder how CV12 would work with M9. Someone posted some samples - were looking great, only big vignetting, but for me it is acceptable.

jonoslack

Bart - the Gencoe shot is stunning!
Proenca - I love the snowy beach
James - the first shot is fine.
I couldn't resist joining in - here are a few M9 shots at random:

jklotz

I guess I didn't think about it when I started the thread - maybe I should have called it "show us your M 8/9 landscape shots". So bring em' on!