The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

EXIF on M9

aboudd

Can anyone tell me why my f stop is not showing up in the metadata? I am using CS4 and Bridge, dng default. I am seeing my lens choice, shutter speed, ISO - but not the f stop.

oc garza

If I remember correctly it is because there is no electrical connection between aperture and camera. This is one of those things that could be "estimated" via software and probably be pretty accurate but there is no way currently to get f-stop info on the M8 or M9.

Double Negative

Not Available
^ Exactly. Depending on your software, you'll get an estimated f/stop at least.

I use CS4/ACR and Bridge myself - and I get them. Curious why you're not?

glenerrolrd

Workshop Member
The approximate aperture is now provided (calculated) in LR3 Beta. I have found it very accurate and interesting that it may reflect the true working aperture rather than the stated aperture. The Leica M glass reads fast especially wide open (e.g f1.0 with a 35 summilux in a dark situation)...but normal around F5.6. I am not saying the 35L is really 1.0 but rather other 1.4 lens may actually be a little slower. In any event close enough for my uses and a nice addition.

LR 2.6 also shows the estimated f stop, provided that either the lens is coded or manually selected from menu.
Cheers,
Ario

aboudd

Thanks all. I called Leica today and the technician confirmed that f stop data is not transmitted to the camera, that the camera does not have the electronics for that feature.

I have not yet downloaded the free copy of Lightroom that I am entitled to with the M9 purchase. I am so used to ACR, I was hesitant to do so. However, if it gives a good approximation of the aperture, I will give it a go.

1st chance I had to shoot with the new M9 was yesterday on a college preview trip with my son - and I got lousy weather. Still the camera shines. Photo: Snow melt puddle in Hadley MA., and yes the water did have a green tint to it.

Last edited:

fotografz

The approximate aperture is now provided (calculated) in LR3 Beta. I have found it very accurate and interesting that it may reflect the true working aperture rather than the stated aperture. The Leica M glass reads fast especially wide open (e.g f1.0 with a 35 summilux in a dark situation)...but normal around F5.6. I am not saying the 35L is really 1.0 but rather other 1.4 lens may actually be a little slower. In any event close enough for my uses and a nice addition.
I found this interesting also. In support of this suspicion I once had a VC 35/1.2 ASPH and M 35/1.4 ASPH ... and they both metered exactly the same on a step-less M7 set to A. My friend Irakly theorized that the Leica glass was simply clearer, or a bit better at light transmission.

Don't have a clue myself ... but I gained nothing in shutter speed with the supposedly faster VC f/1.2 aperture.

-Marc

oc garza

I use CS4 and ACR and while the exif data reads the maximum aperature, I have yet to see an actual exposure aperature. It may be time to check for updates or to search through all the exif data categories.

And this occurs with coded lenses on "auto detect" too - no aperature.

Alnitak

I use CS4 and ACR and while the exif data reads the maximum aperature, I have yet to see an actual exposure aperature. It may be time to check for updates or to search through all the exif data categories.

And this occurs with coded lenses on "auto detect" too - no aperature.
You have to be using version 5.6 of ACR or you won't get that data. With LR, you have to be using 2.6 (which uses ACR 5.6) or LR3 Beta. Alternatively, if you don't have Photoshop CS4 or the latest version of Lightroom, you can use CornerFix to read the Leica value or estimate the f-stop on its own, and then write it out to the files. I used to use CF to do this on all files before ACR 5.6.

Jeff

Double Negative

Not Available
^ Ahh, that makes sense. There was a period I definitely did not get the info (I just got "f/1"). I did recently update ACR and the apertures showed up now that I think about it, which I did notice... I totally forgot about that update!

oc garza

I updated my CS4 last night and am now getting the aperature data, But I do not think it is anywhere close to 100% accurate.