The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

21 lux arrived

I had 1/2 hour to sneak outside and try it out. If you are considering this lens, but want a reason not to buy it.... stop reading now. It's first impression is that it is a truly great lens. Much smaller and easier to handle than I thought. Holds a wide dynamic range, beautiful tones and color, exquisite detail, fascinating ability to isolate subject at 21mm. Also, I got a Zeiss 21 mm finder thinkingI'd compare it to my CV 21 and send it back....no way, it's the nicest finder by far I've ever looked through. So her's a few to peak at. best....Peter

This one is a crop to show 1.4 isolation

These are stopped to 5.6 I believe, full frame.

Full sized here
http://www.pbase.com/halperin/image/121479883
http://www.pbase.com/halperin/image/121479843
http://www.pbase.com/halperin/image/121479905

Thanks guys. This really is something special for me. I've never explored wide angle imaging, just a few shots with the CV 15 on my M8. So this lens is my way into a whole new way of seeing, a new chapter for my photography. To do this with such a lens, with it's extraordinary range of light gathering, is just a wonderful adventure. I've gotten many a rush from acquiring fine lenses in the past, but this is qualitatively different. My reaction definitely supports my decision to go 21 rather than 24, as the wider FL is as important, actually more important to me at this time than factors like degree of subject isolation. best....Peter

Paratom

Great,
shoot it at f1.4 as much as you can ;)
Thats at least what I do now with my 24lux.
Shooting the lens at f1.4 and f5.6 is like having 2 different lenses.

I also was very tempted by the 21mm focal length but thought the 24mm is easier to handle regarding its more forgiving when not leveling the camera propper etc.
The other reason was that even though I do use an external viewfinder the internal viewfinder of the M9 is not so far away from what you get and that could help sometimes when one shoots moving subjects where you want to keep the eye on the rangefinder and dont want to use the external finder.
On the other 21mm is even a little bit more dynamic. Hard decision. I kept the 21 Elmarit which I have owned for many years (and nearly a personal relationship with it) and exchanged the 24 Elmarit for the 24 Lux.
I had not used much the 24 Elmarit for some reason(I either wanted the more dynamic effect of 21mm or the less pronounced wide angle like 35mm)
Now with the fast Lux I enjoy the 24mm focal length.

Please keep posting some more images !

The "old friends" aspect of the choice was a mirror of yours. My relationship was with a 24 elmarit, my favorite on the M8. I never owned a 21. So this played a role in my decision. And I agree that using the entire frame of the M9 is very practical shooting the 24, and for me having the elmarit which blocks less of the frame is a plus. But the main reason for choosing the 21/1.4, as said, is simply that I want to really explore the 21mm FL, no matter what the light is. best....Peter

Here's a crop demonstrating closest focus distance at 1.4. Sharpness wide open and at 0.7 meters is impressive and I quite like the bokeh. best....Peter

C

canon5dshooter

That is a sick (in a good way) lens. Congrats! Now maybe my M9 will show up one day and I can buy a wide angle 'lux . :-(

"That is a sick (in a good way) lens. Congrats! Now maybe my M9 will show up one day and I can buy a wide angle 'lux . :-("

Thanks- don't you have any M body to use with these great lenses in the meantime? ;>)
best....Peter

Last edited:
Ahh, the back of the HSC. Somewhere near the Dept. of Family Medicine, IIRC. :)

Nice shots, Peter! I'm jealous. Heh.
Don't tell me you live in my town AND work where I work?? probably you've just noticed the UGLIEST buildings ever dropped on mankind. ;>) Thanks....Peter
For extra credit - what bar in Huntington was the guinness shot made?

Double Negative

Not Available
Don't tell me you live in my town AND work where I work?? probably you've just noticed the UGLIEST buildings ever dropped on mankind. ;>) Thanks....Peter
For extra credit - what bar in Huntington was the guinness shot made?
Ha! :D

I used to work in the aforementioned HSC/DoFM. My wife is there a couple of times a week though; she's graduating the Social Worker program there in May.

Gotta love the HSC where the rust-stained concrete falls off and everything leaks! At least the scaffolding and fences are finally gone.

The bar looks like Finnegan's. I'm usually at Katie M's a couple of streets over, heh. No food though.

Give the man his Cupie Doll, Finnegans it is! We'll definitely have to throw a few back at one or the other Huntington watering hole. Best.....Peter