Site Sponsors

Thread: 21 lux arrived

Post Thanks / Like

21 lux arrived

I had 1/2 hour to sneak outside and try it out. If you are considering this lens, but want a reason not to buy it.... stop reading now. It's first impression is that it is a truly great lens. Much smaller and easier to handle than I thought. Holds a wide dynamic range, beautiful tones and color, exquisite detail, fascinating ability to isolate subject at 21mm. Also, I got a Zeiss 21 mm finder thinkingI'd compare it to my CV 21 and send it back....no way, it's the nicest finder by far I've ever looked through. So her's a few to peak at. best....Peter

This one is a crop to show 1.4 isolation

These are stopped to 5.6 I believe, full frame.

Full sized here
    http://www.pbase.com/halperin/image/121479883
    http://www.pbase.com/halperin/image/121479843
    http://www.pbase.com/halperin/image/121479905

Post Thanks / Like

Re: 21 lux arrived

Nice, congrats on a fantastic lens! I love the last shot!

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by danielvalentephotography View Post
    Nice, congrats on a fantastic lens! I love the last shot!
    Bummer! I was hoping that you'd return it in disgust and leave us with no wish to own it. Seriously, looks great. Have fun. Cheers.

http://mdriscoll.zenfolio.com

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks guys. This really is something special for me. I've never explored wide angle imaging, just a few shots with the CV 15 on my M8. So this lens is my way into a whole new way of seeing, a new chapter for my photography. To do this with such a lens, with it's extraordinary range of light gathering, is just a wonderful adventure. I've gotten many a rush from acquiring fine lenses in the past, but this is qualitatively different. My reaction definitely supports my decision to go 21 rather than 24, as the wider FL is as important, actually more important to me at this time than factors like degree of subject isolation. best....Peter

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Use it merrily, as we say in Turkish! Especially the last shot is awesome...
    Osman

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by otumay View Post
    Use it merrily, as we say in Turkish! Especially the last shot is awesome...
    Osman
    Merrily sounds great to me Osman! Thanks very much....Peter

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Great,
    shoot it at f1.4 as much as you can
    Thats at least what I do now with my 24lux.
    Shooting the lens at f1.4 and f5.6 is like having 2 different lenses.

I also was very tempted by the 21mm focal length but thought the 24mm is easier to handle regarding its more forgiving when not leveling the camera propper etc.
    The other reason was that even though I do use an external viewfinder the internal viewfinder of the M9 is not so far away from what you get and that could help sometimes when one shoots moving subjects where you want to keep the eye on the rangefinder and dont want to use the external finder.
    On the other 21mm is even a little bit more dynamic. Hard decision. I kept the 21 Elmarit which I have owned for many years (and nearly a personal relationship with it) and exchanged the 24 Elmarit for the 24 Lux.
    I had not used much the 24 Elmarit for some reason(I either wanted the more dynamic effect of 21mm or the less pronounced wide angle like 35mm)
    Now with the fast Lux I enjoy the 24mm focal length.

Please keep posting some more images !

Post Thanks / Like

The "old friends" aspect of the choice was a mirror of yours. My relationship was with a 24 elmarit, my favorite on the M8. I never owned a 21. So this played a role in my decision. And I agree that using the entire frame of the M9 is very practical shooting the 24, and for me having the elmarit which blocks less of the frame is a plus. But the main reason for choosing the 21/1.4, as said, is simply that I want to really explore the 21mm FL, no matter what the light is. best....Peter

Post Thanks / Like

Here's a crop demonstrating closest focus distance at 1.4. Sharpness wide open and at 0.7 meters is impressive and I quite like the bokeh. best....Peter

Post Thanks / Like

Took a friend to lunch and we toated the 21 at 1.4.....Peter

canon5dshooter

That is a sick (in a good way) lens. Congrats! Now maybe my M9 will show up one day and I can buy a wide angle 'lux . :-(

Not Available
    Post Thanks / Like

Ahh, the back of the HSC. Somewhere near the Dept. of Family Medicine, IIRC.

Nice shots, Peter! I'm jealous. Heh.

Post Thanks / Like

"That is a sick (in a good way) lens. Congrats! Now maybe my M9 will show up one day and I can buy a wide angle 'lux . :-("

Thanks- don't you have any M body to use with these great lenses in the meantime? ;>)
    best....Peter
    Last edited by innerimager; 30th January 2010 at 08:11.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I didn't quite understand which viewfinder you find the best, is it the Zeiss ?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Double Negative View Post
    Ahh, the back of the HSC. Somewhere near the Dept. of Family Medicine, IIRC.

Nice shots, Peter! I'm jealous. Heh.
    Don't tell me you live in my town AND work where I work?? probably you've just noticed the UGLIEST buildings ever dropped on mankind. ;>) Thanks....Peter
    For extra credit - what bar in Huntington was the guinness shot made?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sinwen View Post
    I didn't quite understand which viewfinder you find the best, is it the Zeiss ?
    Yes. The Zeiss 21mm finder is by orders of magnitude the best I've ever seen. Crystal clear, bright, undetectable distortion and extremely well made.

Not Available
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by innerimager View Post
    Don't tell me you live in my town AND work where I work?? probably you've just noticed the UGLIEST buildings ever dropped on mankind. ;>) Thanks....Peter
    For extra credit - what bar in Huntington was the guinness shot made?
    Ha!

I used to work in the aforementioned HSC/DoFM. My wife is there a couple of times a week though; she's graduating the Social Worker program there in May.

Gotta love the HSC where the rust-stained concrete falls off and everything leaks! At least the scaffolding and fences are finally gone.

The bar looks like Finnegan's. I'm usually at Katie M's a couple of streets over, heh. No food though.

Post Thanks / Like

Give the man his Cupie Doll, Finnegans it is! We'll definitely have to throw a few back at one or the other Huntington watering hole. Best.....Peter

Post Thanks / Like

Here's one that definitely utilizes the speed of the 21 lux. iso 1600, 1.4, 1/15.....Peter

Post Thanks / Like

I....can't.....stop.....using.....this.....lens. ;>)

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Peter,
    Enjoy it! I used the 24 lux for a little while and fell in love with it. So, I can see why you can't put it down.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Terry!

Post Thanks / Like

WoW!! that is one sharp lens!! Does it obstruct part of the viewfinder with the hood on?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by roanjoh View Post
    WoW!! that is one sharp lens!! Does it obstruct part of the viewfinder with the hood on?
    It does not obstruct the external viewfinder at all. It does intrude well into the M9's finder nearly 1/4 of it. (lower right of course)...Peter

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Double Negative Wrote >>> "The bar looks like Finnegan's. I'm usually at Katie M's a couple of streets over, heh. No food though."<<<

Hey, I could have guessed that (Finnegan's)...it's written right on the napkin (in the pic)...LOL . Do I win both a cupie doll too and a weeks time with the 21mm Lux? (don't I wish). Actually I may have been at that bar not all that long ago...since I used to spend a fair amount of time in or near Huntington...and in the past had been to the Basic Sciences tower (if thats the official name) there. Strange architecture to say the least.

Dave (D&A)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by D&A View Post
    Hey, I could have guessed that (Finnegan's)...it's written right on the napkin (in the pic)...LOL . Do I win both a cupie doll too and a weeks time with the 21mm Lux?
    Dave, I studied that picture trying to figure out the name, but it is partially obstructed on one napkin and way out of focus on the other; I couldn't figure it out. No kewpie doll for me.

Not Available
    Post Thanks / Like

This place.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Tom...maybe it was my starting at that glass of Guinness that gave me the incentive of visualizing what was written on that napkin

Double Negative...really love that shot! It truly captures the warmth, ambiance and character of Finnagen's facade on a blustery cold wintry night...during holiday season.

Dave (D&A)

Not Available
    Post Thanks / Like

Double Negative...really love that shot! It truly captures the warmth, ambiance and character of Finnagen's facade on a blustery cold wintry night...during holiday season.
    Thanks, Dave! That was taken during the Nor'easter of Christmas, 2002. There's quite a few more shots from that night here.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

I took a look at the shots. I love the evocative mood of nightime shots, especially of vinatge buildings at holiday time covered in tinsel, decorations and of course has to have the obligatory snow..and with an ongoing Nor'easter, that isn't always easy, but lend to the mood.

I'm going to take a wild educated guess here, but anyone want to bet that none of those shots were taken with Double Neagtive's M8?

Oh, by the way, in regards to the comment I made to Tom in my post above....I meant to type >>> maybe it was my "Staring" at the glass of Guinness...not "Starting" at the glass....atohough both words fit in appropriately for the situation.

Dave (D&A)

Not Available
    Post Thanks / Like

I took a look at the shots. I love the evocative mood of nightime shots, especially of vinatge buildings at holiday time covered in tinsel, decorations and of course has to have the obligatory snow..and with an ongoing Nor'easter, that isn't always easy, but lend to the mood.

I'm going to take a wild educated guess here, but anyone want to bet that none of those shots were taken with Double Neagtive's M8?
    Thanks again, Dave! The snow was great timing for sure; and what a storm it was. I love nor'easters.

As for the camera, yeah - I won't be taking that bet. Heh. I was shooting my first digital camera - a Canon D30, back then. I don't even think I was shooting RAW at the time and my digital workflow has changed in just about every single way since! I'm surprised how well the white balance held up as the images are all as-shot.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

You welcome Double Negative...I too am a fan of Nor'easters...but only if I don't have to drive in them

Funny at web size, I wonder if those particular images were posted and people assumed they were from a M8 or M9....bet there would be lots of comments how great the dynamic range was or the subtle presentation of colors. Funny, even in those years, if attention was paid to exposure and proper post processing (which apparently you most certainly did)....almost any decent digital camera in the right hands could make great web sized images (and more). I know some that still use the original Nikon D1, for such a purpose. Heck I still have some 16x20" images that will hold their own against many current cameras. Still no taking away the capabilities of the Leica M8's and M9's!

As for white balance, the M9, under certain lighting conditions, still lags behind some of the cameras shot in the era you took your shots . One has to admire that!

Dave (D&A)

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Beautiful photos. Beautiful lens.

Quote Originally Posted by innerimager View Post
    I had 1/2 hour to sneak outside and try it out. If you are considering this lens, but want a reason not to buy it.... stop reading now. It's first impression is that it is a truly great lens. Much smaller and easier to handle than I thought. Holds a wide dynamic range, beautiful tones and color, exquisite detail, fascinating ability to isolate subject at 21mm. Also, I got a Zeiss 21 mm finder thinkingI'd compare it to my CV 21 and send it back....no way, it's the nicest finder by far I've ever looked through. So her's a few to peak at. best....Peter

This one is a crop to show 1.4 isolation

These are stopped to 5.6 I believe, full frame.

Full sized here
    http://www.pbase.com/halperin/image/121479883
    http://www.pbase.com/halperin/image/121479843
    http://www.pbase.com/halperin/image/121479905
    H3DII-31, 5DII, M8, NEX-3 and Camera collection
    http://seyhun.com
    Facebook Page

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you s.agar! best....Peter

Post Thanks / Like

Here's another example. I think this lens gets the most out of the M9 sensor. It renders detail so beautifully, and of course just provides a lot of information because it's so wide. It seems to have just the right amount of contrast, I'm finding skies are held without clipping to white more than other wider lenses. I know this is a matter of exposure decisions, but the "dynamic range" of this lens is great IMO. It holds highlights, and detail in shadows is also not clipped and very recoverable. Here's an image that I cropped a tiny amount from the left side for composition. I did a gentle curves adjust and saved it without sharpening full pixel size, but compressed to quality 10 JPG. Looking at details throughout the image, and the corner renditions on the right side (true full frame) knocks me out!
    here's a link to the full sized image
    http://www.pbase.com/image/121680859/original

JackM

please tell me who your favorite dealer is?

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Peter for sharing. Very nice.

Post Thanks / Like

Your welcome Hacker, I'm loving it. Jack- I have a few favorites and I sure wouldn't want to create any bad feelings amongst my friends so I'll respectfully decline to answer that one! best.....Peter

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by roanjoh View Post
    Sorry for misinformation when I said the hood does not show up in the external VF. In fact it does intrude a bit in the lower margin of the Zeiss 21 finder, but is not a problem in use at all. best...Peter

Subscriber & Workshop Member GrahamWelland's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Finally got a chance to try out my new 21 Summilux tonight, a little later than I'd normally shoot (no colour in the sky at this time) but I was impressed with the following M9 ISO 160, 1/20s @ f/2 handheld.

I'm really looking forward to using this lens more!

100% crop off centre.
    Last edited by GrahamWelland; 9th March 2010 at 03:06.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Nice stuff ... heaven would be both wide Luxes.

21mm IS different than the 24mm. I have the 24 because I can use it reasonably well without an aux. finder when shooting weddings ... especially with a SF24D and S-Fill to do a bit of fill flash.

I swear, this stuff has gotten so good I wonder why I use anything else

Marc

Subscriber & Workshop Member GrahamWelland's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I originally ordered the 24 'lux myself but when it actually arrived I had the opportunity to select the 21 'lux as an alternative. With my current lens setup (28/35/50/90) I figured that the 21 would be the better fit, particularly when I thin the herd a little more soon down to 21/35/50 'lux's & 90 Elmarit-M.

I can see why folks are raving over the 50/0.95 too now if it has the same apparent characteristics as the 21/24 'lux. I suspect that the forthcoming new 35 'lux might change everything again if it performs in a similar manner.

Hmmm ...

Post Thanks / Like

Congratulations Graham! The more I use mine, the more I like it. I choose it over the 24 for very similar reasons as yours, the 21-28-35-50-90 spread, but throw in a 75/1.4. I must say however that despite being wowed by the output of the latest Leica offerings, it's hard to imagine the new 35/1.4 asph being significantly "better" than the old version if one has a sample without significant focus shift that is.

But back to the thread, enjoy the 21 and post more examples please. best...Peter

Jose_Salcedo

Quote Originally Posted by GrahamWelland View Post
    I can see why folks are raving over the 50/0.95 too now if it has the same apparent characteristics as the 21/24 'lux. I suspect that the forthcoming new 35 'lux might change everything again if it performs in a similar manner.
    The 21/1.4 actually shares important optical design details with the 50/0.95, and both (as the 24/1.4) were designed by Peter Karbe and his team. Peter is the new head of optics design at Leica. The new lenses that will come out soon (35/1.4, 75/1.4 and a new special 50, likely) will also share crucial elements of such design philosophy: outstanding sharpness and beautiful bookeh. The 3 current Summilux lenses and the Noctilux - 50/1.4, 21/1.4, 24/1.4, 50/0.95 - may well be the best camera lenses ever.

This was taken today with the M9+21/1.4:

Last edited by Jose_Salcedo; 13th March 2010 at 16:27.

Bowtie Clyde

wow that's awesome shot!

Jose_Salcedo

Quote Originally Posted by Bowtie Clyde View Post
    wow that's awesome shot!
    Thanks Clyde, the lens is indeed special, at least with the M9. By the way, this Redwood was born out of a piece of redwood burl that I brought from Big Sur to Portugal over 20 years ago. It now is a beautiful tree over 20 meters tall.