The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Only three lenses

proenca

Well I started to love wide angle recently ( last 3 years ) and so my lens kit now is :

16-18-21 WATE
35mm Summaron ( just love the way it renders )
50mm Noctilux ( for portraits, DOF and all in between - its perfect for me on all this on the M8 )

The WATE is mostly on my M8 ; The Summaron is almost always with me, its super light and compact, its a gem. The Noctilux its perfect for portraits ( for me ) and the rest.

I would like to add either a 90mm or a 135 TE for more compressed shots but to be honest dont really need it.

So technically I have a 3 lens kit. I would swap the 35mm for a longer one but I invest the money in a Hasselblad :) Makes a fantastic compliment for my Leica kit

dannh

Currently trying this setup:
35 Cron Asph (walk around, small, sharp)
50 Lux Pre-asph (cheaper than asph version, good for portrait/low light)
90 Cron Apo-Asph (longer, sharp, good for distant portraits or creative uses)

Haven't had enough time with this setup to really establish my opinion yet, but so far these focal ranges work well as a kit.

My desire to go wider might change my setup to this in the future:

18/21
35 Cron
75 Cron

We'll see.

Edit: Whoops, I was thinking M9. Can't speak for M8

Last edited:

trisberg

My setup would be 21/28/35 which more or less corresponds to 28/35/50 on film/full-frame. I wouldn't carry all of them unless I was traveling though. One or maybe two is what I'd bring going out to shoot (not always the same ones). Never liked shooting longer lenses on an M since the frame gets so small past 50mm.

-Thomas

jonoslack

Well, I think it would be:
WATE
MATE
90 elmarit.

That way I have 16,18,21,28,35,50 and 90
Otherwise it would probably be:

WATE
28 'cron
50 'lux

Ahh - beg pardon - M8

mmm
WATE
28 'cron
75 'cron

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Well no way you can do three it is really a 4 or 5 lens kit.:D

But if you must and I have had almost every lens at one point or another but it was mostly based around the 28 cron which was my lifeblood lens and the last lens sold too.

My favorite end of the day end of it's life for me was

Leica 21mm elmarit which has a nice look like the 28 cron . Kissing cousins

Leica 28 cron absolutely the best lens on the M8

Leica 50 prelux

If I had to buy a M8 again I would first get those lenses

4th lens after the fact

75 cron

5th lens

CV 12mm

Now if you like brittle sharpness than you could go for the Zeiss 18mm instead of the Leica 21mm. It's a different look

Just some lenses I had with the M8 Wate,Zeiss 18mm, Leica 24mm elmarit, Leica 28 cron, Leica 35 cron Version IV, Leica 35 lux, Leica 50 asph, Leica pre kux, 75mm Lux, 75 cron, 90 summarit, 90 elmarit, 90 cron, 135 elmarit and more than I can remember but at the end of it's life I had those 5 lenses mentioned earlier and those where my final choices.

M

Mango

If you like a compact kit, choose the 39mm filter size:
35mm Summicron
50mm Summicron or Collapsible Elmar (latest)
90mm Tele-Elmarit "Thin"

For low light, choose the 46mm filter size kit:
35mm Summilux Asph
50mm Summilux pre-Asph (some prefer the Asph)
90mm Elmarit (most current, out of production)

For extreme low light:
21mm Summilux Asph
50mm Noctilux 0.95
90mm Summicron APO Asph

If you like wides:
15mm f4.5 Voigtlander
21mm f2.8 Elmarit
35mm Voigtlander (any)

Surveys won't really tell you much, other than the responders preferences, as we don't know your shooting style, and your preferred subjects. There are many options. Your budget is the only constraint.