The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Are you happy with your lens selections

When I migrated from R to M earlier this year, I really wanted to limit myself to 3 or 4 lenses. I couldn't do it. Here is my lineup:
CV 15, 21 Elmarit A, 35 lux A, 50 lux A, 75 lux, 90 cron AA

I'm always thinking about other lenses (especially the 28 cron A), but this lineup is already more than adequate!
--Mark

woodyspedden

I like my 21mm wide in apo guise because I liek sharp wides, but I find that I too prefer the older style lenses - in particular my old 50 summilux is a favourite on the M8 for rendition -agree a 50 on the M8 is not quite right. I have no interest in longer focal lengths with M8 series cameras - i cant focus well enough to make use of them wide open.
Peter

I am with you on this one. I absolutely love my 50 pre asph lux and would not think to trade it for the new asph. Drawing is totally different and much more filmlike in my opinion. Jack Flesher also loves this lens and some recent wedding shots he did in black and white were just spectacular.

Woody Spedden

K

KJB

Have: 15CV, WATE, 21A, 28 cron A, 35 cron A, 50 lux A, Nocti, 90CV

Want: 24 A, 35 lux A, 75 lux, 90 Elmarit, Silver M7

Need: 21A, 28 A, 50 lux A

So thinking of selling: 15CV, Nocti, 90CV (listed)

There really is no hope for me...:D

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Peter

I am with you on this one. I absolutely love my 50 pre asph lux and would not think to trade it for the new asph. Drawing is totally different and much more filmlike in my opinion. Jack Flesher also loves this lens and some recent wedding shots he did in black and white were just spectacular.

Woody Spedden
Yes indeed, include me in this camp! I too like sharp wides, but also want "the look" I get from the older Mandler design Leica glass. The 50 Pre-Lux may be the pinnacle of that design era for me, though the 35 version IV is really nice too. Interestingly, the 28 Cron Asph wide open through f2.8 has that look too; really smooth, but still sharp. Because the 28 Cron and 35 IV paint so beautifully for me, I don't get too excited over any of the Asph 35's...

The 75 Lux and Noctilux are in their own camp and definitely have their own unique characteristics which is why I keep them --- but the truth be known, I rarely to almost never use either one. I should sell them both...

Moving longer, the 90 Cron Pre-Asph, the last model with the built-in hood, has "the look" too. Only problem for me there was when I used the 90, I usually wanted it really sharp wide open. So in the end, I settled on the 90 AA --- a stunning lens at f2 where I usually use it...

Which brings me to the wides... For me, the 21 Pre-Asph was an oddity. It is actually sharper wide open in the center than the Asph, though notably worse at the corners. Not a big issue to me as I rarely shoot my wides wide open anyway. At f4, the Asph jumps ahead center to corner. At f5.6, a really interesting thing occurs: the asph is still notably sharper at the center and corners, but at the middle 1/3 through 2/3 outer area, the pre may be one of the sharpest perfromers I've ever seen! Jamie uses this feature to advantage by framing his subjects at the golden means, which places them squarely in this uber-sharp zone of the 21 pre. However for landscapes, I prefer the sharper center and more even resolution across the image through to the corners. Still, the pre-Asph 21 is something to consider if you shoot people with wideangle lenses :)

(Note: IMO the 24 is an excellent lens too, but for me with the 28 as my primary focal, the spacing gap to the 21 simply makes more sense.)

The CV 12 and 15 are really great performers on the M8 at f8 through f11, which again, is not a problem for me because it's where I use them for landscape or architecture anyway and rarely would shoot people with them other than a large group. BTW, if you only want one ultra-wide, my advice is to go all the way to the 12. It is a tad better overall than the 15, being very slightly sharper and having slightly better contrast. But the real advantage IMO is the focus ring has indents at the near and far hyperfocals for that lens at f5.6, which in turn makes it very easy to zone focus on the fly.

Cheers,

jaapv

Subscriber Member
The 75 Lux and Noctilux are in their own camp and definitely have their own unique characteristics which is why I keep them --- but the truth be known, I rarely to almost never use either one. I should sell them both...
Makes me feel less alone ;) I feel the same way about my 75 - but each time I have the urge to sell, I think of the way it draws...:eek:

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Makes me feel less alone ;) I feel the same way about my 75 - but each time I have the urge to sell, I think of the way it draws...:eek:

LOLOLOLOL!!!!!!!!!!! I hear you Jaap! Their signatures and the fact they are had to find is precisely why I still have them both ;) (And, I'm glad to know I am not alone either!)

P

PaulMayeux

Well - I'm happy with most of my selections, having only sold off a MATE and Noctilux for lack of use.

I've got: 15/4.5 CV, 21/2.8 ASPH, 24/2.8 ASPH, 28/2.8 Elmarit ASPH
35/1.4 ASPH, 50/1.4 ASPH and 75/1.4

The only one with which I am disappointed is the 28/2.8 ASPH. There is something about it's fingerprint that I just can't seem to get excited about. It is plenty sharp but overly contrasty. I do like the size - but my next lens purchase will be a 28/2.0 to replace it.

The newest one is the 24/2.8 ASPH and it is beautiful, but I'm still leaning toward the 28 for the M8s crop. Not a big difference but it is noticeable.

Least used is the 15/4.5 - really wish Leica would come out with a small, prime wide.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Paul from what i seen of the new 28 2.8 it just did not have that fingerprint I liked either, not surprised you mention that . Think 28 Cron here, it just sings

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Ditto the 28 comment --- the 28 Elmarit jsut didn't grab me the way the 28 Cron does...

LJL

Finally got around to joining this group....thanks for creating this alternative....

Happy with lens selections? Yes and no. For the most part the coverage and image quality I get from my modest collection is quite good. Kit includes: CV15/4.5, Zeiss 25/2.8, CV35/1.2 Nokton, CV50/1.5 Nokton, 50/1 Noctilux and 75/2 AA. I have self-coded all the non-Leica stuff, and it works fine, including the lensmount swap on the Zeiss. My only disappointments are the backfocus issues on the Nocti and 75 Cron, but I have learned to make the right adjustments in my focus.

For all practical use, the kit covers most of what I do with the M8, and adds some really interesting extensions with the CV35/1.2 Nokton, the Noctilux and the 75 Cron. I keep thinking about adding a 90mm, but at this point, I have the better covered with my Canon DSLR gear, so no real pressing need.

I am constantly surprised by how good images from the CVs and Zeiss have been, but still see the really great/unique capabilities of the Nocti and 75 Cron to have me thinking about swapping some CV for Leica glass. Have not been quite able to get there yet, as I am not convinced personally that there would be that much difference. Some see it and think it the case, but I have not shared that experience.

What would I like to see? Like others a faster, fixed wide, to supplant the CV 15/4.5 which really does not kick into gear until f6.3 or so. A 15/2.8 that is not unwieldy, and was sharp at the edges would be most welcomed.

LJ

Have: Leica WATE, 28/2.8A, 35/2A, 50/1.4A, 50/1.0, 90/2A, C/V 15/4.5 and 50/1.5
Want: Leica 28 Summicron, 75 Summarit, 75 Summilux
Need: More Money

Jan Brittenson

Senior Subscriber Member
As the compulsive contrarian I'm doing the opposite. Naturally. :D

I like f/2 lenses, even when I had the 35/1.4A I shot it at f/2-f/2.8. f/1.4 is just too shallow and completely obliterates the background. Same with the Summilux-R 80 that I love; I still shoot it at f/2-f/4, depending on distance. I don't want to completely eliminate the background, just create a little separation. To my taste, a face or head that's only partially in focus rarely works. So I don't buy f/1.4 lenses anymore, unless they have other redeeming qualities (like the 75 and 80 summiluxes). The exception might be hypothetical wide angles (like a 21/1.4 would hit the spot nicely).

I love the Tele-Elmar 135/4. Great lens, nice rendition, color, sharp. Easy to focus, no back/front issues. f/4 is about the biggest useful aperture for a lens this length anyway IMO, so no point chasing f/2 or f/2.8. Again, anything larger would obliterate the background at any distance I'm likely to use it.

I like the 75A a lot and don't think I'd trade it for the 90AA. I love its look in soft light. But I'm considering complementing the 75A with a pre-asph 90/2 or 90/2.8 for harsher situations. Which seems to be the total opposite of everyone else. :)

Not sure I really have any use for a lens between 35 and 75. Although a Sonnar 50 (original) would be neat, or a 50A, I'm not sure what I'd use either for. I don't need the speed, they don't have the reach of a 75 while they give a narrower view than a 35. (Which is already borderline on the M8 IMO.) Now, a 28A on the other hand...

Oh well, I'm rambling when I should be working... :)

Terry

Take mine with a grain of salt. I never went the dslr route because I hated the size. I am very much an amateur hobbyist. I bought the Digilux 2 and loved it. However, it died and I was thinking about what was going to be next as the EVF was sort of annoying and it did feel pretty silly using that camera from the LCD. So, along came the M8. Coming from a small sensor, I didn't really know what focal lengths and lenses I wanted as I was very used to a very large DOF. So, actually being able to get some OOF areas with a 28mm lens a whole new world for me. I didn't listen to too much advice and instead of concentrating on one or two lenses I bought a whole bunch of cv's to figure it all out. Once I started to get more comfortable, I then started refining what I want to use most of all.

Right now I am very happy with what I have want to progress up the next learning curve before swapping for different lenses (except for one small change). I am sure at some point I will lust after something else and this answer may change when more work is complete by Guy and Sean on the new Summarits.

Have
CV15, CV21, CV28 (need to list this for sale), 28 cron, CV 35 (f2.5), 50 cron, CV75 and 90 macro elmar.

The lens now on the camera most of the time is the 28 cron.
The one change I might make is to switch the 15 for the 12 as I have the milich adapter and hood and a 21 finder which could completely subsidize the purchase of a 12 which I don't plan on coding.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Jan, I did exactly that before getting the 75 Lux... I had the 90 Pre Cron and it renders beautifully. But it isn't a laser wide open, more like the 80 R at f1.4. Anyway, it does sharpen up nicely at about f4. In thh end, I traded up to the 90AA because I wanted sharper performance wide open --- and the 90AA delivers in spades. Now I want a smaller lens for travel, go figure. I'l probably end up with the Summarit at some pont, but doubt I'll get rid of the 90 AA...

harmsr

Workshop Member
Okay, I have been ALMOST but not quite as bad as Guy when it comes to lenses.

I've finally started trimming back to what I really use and also like from the ergonomics, size, and rendition.

My kit has finally shaped into the 28 Cron ASPH, 35 Cron ASPH, 50 Lux ASPH, and 90 Elmarit for the M8.

The only one which is still on the blocks is the 35 Cron ASPH as this is my least used lens, and for which I would trade out in a heartbeat if I could have a 35 Lux ASPH that did not focus shift between 2.0 - 5.6 aperture. The 35 Cron can be just a little too contrasty for me still. The 35 Cron IV has strange or Nocti type "bokeh" at times which I just don't get along with. The 35 Biogon is nice from the standpoint of rendering but is even more contrasty than the 35 Cron ASPH. The Summarit has a fingerprint that I have trouble describing but leaves me still preferring the Cron. Leica please reformulate the 35 Lux ASPH so that it does not have the focus shift.

The funny thing about my lens choices is that it is basically still the same as it was on film. I still like the same lenses for the same reasons as I did before. I just adjust to the crop factor by being a couple steps farther away than before.

The 28 Cron is a marvel in how well it handles everything. The 50 Lux is truly what I think to be the best 50 in existence. The 90 Elmarit renders sharply but smooth, which is exactly what I want out of a 90.

The 90 Elmarit ended up in the bag after buying it from Guy, when we were shooting both it and his 90 Cron ASPH together. I found that I liked the handling of the Elmarit better, the gear ratio for focusing was easier for me to snap things into focus, the Cron only has a marginal sharpness edge at 2.8, I don't need the 2.0 or size in a 90, and I preferred the smoother rendering of the Elmarit.

------------------

The WATE is a nice lens but is going away as I don't really need all three focal lengths, the cost, the huge but excellent finder, and I REALLY want a faster wide prime for interior work. (A fast 16 on the M8 or a fast 21 on a FF would be ideal for me.)

The 75 Cron is another marvel based on its brother the 50 Lux, but I prefer the 50 focal length so it got virtually no use. 75 is in between for me, so I tended more towards the 50 or the 90. The other issue I had was the 75 frame line inaccuracy and also being so close in the VF to the 50, just did not work for me.

24 Elmarit ASPH, is another great lens and would have been my choice vs. the 28 Cron if I used the 35 focal length more than the 50. However, I prefer the 28, 50, 90 steps vs. 24, 35, 75 steps. Since, I wear glasses the 24 is also difficult for me to see on the M8.

My next logical step down from the 28 is a 21, for which I'm trying out the Zeiss 21 4.5 C Biogon. It is mostly seeing duty on film with the Zeiss 21 mm finder. 21 is wider than what I normally shot in the past, but is turning out to be very useful. This lens is also killer sharp, virtually no distortion, and compact. However, it is slow. To use it on the M8 is a PAIN. The mount is wrong and must be changed by Zeiss as this one requires recalibration when changing. That leaves a problem of how to code it with anything other than markers. I have been using it on the M8 with Cornerfix.

I'll skip mentioning all of the other Leica lenses that I have owned over the years on previous film Ms.

----------------------

So at the moment, I'm happy with my lens line-up based on what is currently available.
However, I would really love to see a reformulated 35 Lux and 21 Cron ASPH. Those I would trade up into, in a heartbeat.

--------

Best,

Ray

Reynolds

Workshop Member
I am a newbie to the whole Leica world. I have been shooting Nikons since 1965 with everything up to 800mm. I have been quite happy with my little Leica bag - M8, 16-18-21 Tri-Elmar and a 50 lux. Then, I attend a seminar hosted by Jack and Guy and a delightful Leica rep named Linda and her husband, Jim, and a 90 cron is on the way. I am even using the Leica shorthand "cron", "lux", etc. Feels like a slippery slope to me. So, leave me to my own devices. I don't know what I need. Leave me be!! I am better off that way. What fun!!

P

PaulMayeux

Slippery is an understatement. I think this stuff rivals crack (both in addictiveness and price!) But hey - the last time I looked hearse's didn't have luggage racks...