The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Are you happy with your lens selections

J

Jamie Roberts

Slippery is an understatement. I think this stuff rivals crack (both in addictiveness and price!) But hey - the last time I looked hearse's didn't have luggage racks...
"Rivals" crack?!

LOL!! It's way worse. Let me tell you the misery (and poverty) that sets in as your kit completes...

Apart from the 28 cron, I really don't want anything else for my M8 (I really do want that, but I'm waiting now for the right lens at the right price).

My kit:

*15 CV
*21 Elmarit pre-asph (which I love on the M8)
*24 Elmarit ASPH
*28 1.9 CV
*35 Lux ASPH
*50 Lux ASPH
*50 Noctilux
*75 Lux
*90 cron pre-ASPH
*90 Elmarit "Thin"

But I do have this great gear--all of which gets a lot of use, actually :)

And I suppose I could always start adapting the Olys, and then there's the Zeiss stuff--that 50 1.5 looks really interesting--and I guess I could use a 135; then there's the pre-ASPH 35s and 50s, and what if the Summarits look different, or there's a 18 f2.0 in the works?!!

HELP!!

Guy Mancuso--you have a lot to answer for :) LOL!!!!

BTW--interesting that the list should be in black type :) Someone is trying to tell me something...

P

PaulMayeux

Guy does have a lot to answer for :D

Now we need a a thread on how many bags we've accumulated:eek:

S

Shootist

Well let me see.
21CV M-Mount
24 ASPH
28/2.8 ASPH
35 Cron
40 Cron-C f/2
50 Cron
50 Lux ASPH
75 Cron ASPH
2-90 TE Thin
2-135 Elmarit W/eyes (one first version one second version)

Do I need any other lenses, NO. Do I want any other lenses, YES. A Leica 18/2.8 or f/4.

What lens is the body cap, that would be the 50 Lux. What lens gets used the most, the 50 Lux. After that it is a real toss up between the 28/21/24 and sometimes the 35. But the 75 and 90 get used also. What I find is I don't use the 135 as much on digital as I did with film. Could be because it is so big.

Oh YES I am happy with my lens selection.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Am I happy with my current lens collection?

Well... I was until Guy posted his Summarit tests!

:D,

ChrisDauer

Workshop Member
:cool: I'm not completely thrilled with my collection.

I'm really missing out on the wide and and would love to get the 21 Asph and 28 Cron.
I'm also missing some good speed in the mid section so I'd like to get a 50 Lux. I'd love to get the Noct, but that's not nearly as likely to happen.
As for a little bit of reach, I'd love to pick up a 90 APO Asph.

So, I'm just missing the following:
21 Asph
28 Cron
50 Lux
90 APO Asph.

At least this is balanced by the fact that I'm missing a Leica M body (M8 would be my first choice). :rolleyes:
But with a little luck it's something I can rectify mid 2008.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Jack is selling his 90 apo right now and a 28 cron yes folks i seen one today at www.KEH.com

Cha- ching i feel melting credit cards coming

Chris you sliding down I can feel the leica slope rising under those feet. LOL

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
:cool: I'm not completely thrilled with my collection.

I'm really missing out on the wide and and would love to get the 21 Asph and 28 Cron.
I'm also missing some good speed in the mid section so I'd like to get a 50 Lux. I'd love to get the Noct, but that's not nearly as likely to happen.
As for a little bit of reach, I'd love to pick up a 90 APO Asph.

So, I'm just missing the following:
21 Asph
28 Cron
50 Lux
90 APO Asph.

At least this is balanced by the fact that I'm missing a Leica M body (M8 would be my first choice). :rolleyes:
But with a little luck it's something I can rectify mid 2008.

Too funny --- great post!

W

workingcamera

ROTFLoL... Chris you're a dagg (in a good way):)

Brilliant post... been laughing for hours:cool:

In deed, Leicas are about the bragging rights that come from full camera bags and emaciated wallets.

I hope see that you have rectified those gaps in your lens kit in due course

Jim Stone

Workshop Member
Chris,

Great post !! But, PLEASE don't wait till mid 08......I had BEFORE the end of Dec in the workshop pool !! :D You won't regret it and then the fun really begins......with a high limit credit card of course !!! ;)

Shooting in snowy Mt as I write this......doesn't that make you want one SOON! :rolleyes:

Regards,

Jim

hdrmd

I am very happy with my lens selections, but I wish there was a more accurate way to use the 135mm lens. DR

Terry

Well, for those who are not yet totally happy with their selections looks like all 4 Summarits are back in stock at B&H....

ChrisDauer

Workshop Member
Great post !! But, PLEASE don't wait till mid 08......I had BEFORE the end of Dec in the workshop pool !! :D

Shooting in snowy Mt as I write this......doesn't that make you want one SOON! :rolleyes:
Hi Jim!

Hahahaha. Yeah, I know, I know. But I have a pretty good handle on my finances, and if everything w/ work proceeds well, mid 2008 will be the time frame.

As for wanting one sooner... nothing made me want one sooner than walking the Milford Track (33.5 miles) in New Zealand, carrying 3 Canon bodies, 4 lenses, and a tripod (+accessories - like clothes, bug spray, food :p; in a 50L pack.)

My Camera equipment was over 50% of my weight. I would LOVE to get something small and light. :)

-Chris
Ps. Psssssst. I highly recommend getting May, 2008; in the workshop pool ;)

Terry

I stopped at one of the NY Leica shops today as they were having a demo day. Leica must ship a big order to their dealers the day before as they had a ton of stuff in stock (including 28 and 75 'crons, WATE(s), 24, 50 & 90 summarits and other goodies).

The 90 summarit felt very nice to handle and was easy to focus (even without a magnifyer)

It also seemed from Leica that they are catching up on lens supplies and it won't be quite as hard to get what you want.

Terry

I was really good but I had dirty thoughts.

I don't really "need" anything! But when I started thinking about the '75 'cron sitting on the shelf I knew it was time to leave. Maybe I will just order a softie as I didn't know that was a "must have" accessory and it won't break the bank (LOL).

cmb_

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Terry, There is another Leica Day in NYC next week on the 5th. More Temptation!