Site Sponsors
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Are you happy with your lens selections

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Are you happy with your lens selections

Jack and i were talking on the phone yesterday which we do almost everyday and we were discussing gear, what else. But i was saying that you know all the buying we do that i am really coming to a point of being really HAPPY with what i have in my kit and even if money was thrown at me not sure there is anything i really have a need for. I admit i have a few lenses but really how much do you need and use . Than what would you buy that made sense. Okay today i sit with new 12mm coming, 18 Zeiss, 21 elmairt, 28 cron, 35 cron, 50 lux, 75 lux, 90 cron and a 135mm apo. let's not forget a Olympus 24 shift lens and a complete Visoflex III macro setup with bellows and 2 Rodenstock enlarging lenses. So the only real thing I lack is a 200 mm and above which is not a big deal , rather have a Alpa with a digital back for landscapes instead. But i guess the question of the day is what are you missing in your lineup that would really put you in much better shape shooting wise. I am finally feeling really comfortable with my selections , now i have a lot but i am tasked to many different types of jobs so selection sometimes is a must. But honestly i have not even looked at e-bay in a month until yesterday. This is very rare.

So how are we feeling so far and what would make you a happy camper. let's call it the Christmas wish list
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com

Deceased, but remembered fondly here... johnastovall's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: Are you happy with your lens selections

What I have:

35/1.2 Nokton, 28/1.9 Ultron, 15/4.5 Super Heliar, Leica TM 50/2.0 collable Summicron, Canon LTM 85/1.5, Canon 50/0.95 converted to M-mount, 75/2.5 Color Heliar, 28/3.5 Color Skopar, 12/5.6 Aspheric Ultra Wide Heliar, 50/1.5 Nokton

What I want:

Leica 24mm 2.8 ASPH
    Noctilux (I have a thing about f/1.0 lenses)
    35mm IV Summicron
    75/1.4 'Lux
    90/2.0 'Cron (E55)
    135/4.0 Tele-Elmarit

"The market wants a Leica to be a Leica: the inheritor of tradition, the subject of lore, and indisputably a mark of status to own."
    Mike Johnston

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

A suggestion: when saying "what I have," and "what I want," it would be interesting to hear whether any of the "haves" would be replaced by any of the "wants."

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Guy, it is not surprising that there aren't many lenses you would want. There aren't many you don't have. Here is a list of stuff you want: 35 Lux Asph (no focusing problems), 50 Noctilux, 75 Cron (best lens in the lineup), 90 Macro (fun; light)

I have: CV15/4.5, WATE, 28/2A, 35/1.4A, 50/1.4A, 75/1.4, 90/4M, and a 280/4.8V.

I find them all great, and don't miss much, but being short of money and finding myself not using the 90 Macro kit (lens, adapter, angle finder) (I have a Visoflex, so I don't really need it), I will try to trade it for a 75 Cron Asph or 90 Cron Asph (6-bit coded, new version). After that, I think I would just like a CV12/5.6 and CV21/4, so a bit of luck on the trade, and about €1000 and I am done. I should be able to handle that within a two or three months, I hope. One day I will add a Noctilux, but not now.
    Carsten - Website

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I'm really totally happy with what I have : CV15, ZI Biogon 21/2.6,Elmarit 28/2.8, Summicron asph 35/2.0asph, Elmar-M 50/2.8 collapsible, Summarit 1.5/50, Summilux 75, Summcron 90 AA, Tele-Elmarit 4.0/ 135, Telyt-V 200, Telyt-V 280, T-Noflexar 400. The lenses I never use are few, just the 200, and I use the 75 too seldomly. No wishes there. But what I am looking at is, after all, a DMR system for the Noflexar for convenience.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

My M lens line up

15 CV, 21 Elmarit (non Asph), 28 Cron (Asph), 35 Cron v IV, 50 Cron, 90 Elmarit

My least used lens, 90 Elmarit; my most used lens, 28 Cron.

I have added and deleted lenses along the line, 35 Cron Asph and Lux Asph are two and have settled in with this line up. I may add the 75 Summarrit jury is still out.

The good news about the M lenses is that they are light enough to bring the whole brace of lenses. The bad is that they cost a bundle! Oh well, this is my only vice, fine cigars and single malt scotch is a necessity of life.
    Al Tanabe my website https://www.altanabe.com

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hi Guy,

I currently have a WATE, 24/2.8, 35/1.4, noctilux, 75/1.4, 90 macro.

At some point, I will add a 135 and, in the more distant future, a 50/1.4.

I think I already have too many lenses, but the M8 has been on the short list of things that makes me smile, so now I am looking for the right bag to carry it all (although I have too many of those, too).

Thanks, steve

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up Re: Are you happy with your lens selections

Guy,

My modest lineup keeps me happy and is great for traveling. I have the CV12, the WATE, old Tri-elmar, Noctilux, 75 lux, and 90 f2. Would like to add a couple of wide primes, BUT, this could where the new Alpa comes in ... LOL !! Happy Thanksgiving everyone !

Jim

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I just sold my WATE so my lineup is now:

R 15 Elmarit with Novoflex adapter; 21 Elmarit; 24 Elmarit; 28 Cron (My lenscap) 35 Lux; 50 Lux pre-asph, 75 Lux, 90 Cron and 135 Elmarit

I will eventually sell the 24 and either the 75 Lux (very doubtful) or the 90 Cron. I don't use the 135 Elmarit (3.4) so much but when I need it I just love the results. I also still own the CV 15 4.5 but it has pretty much been replaced by the 15 Elmarit except when a small and light travel kit is required.

Still seems like too many lenses so I will continue working on this over the coming year. Need to keep track of how often I shoot with each one so that I have a base for real decision making.

Woody Spedden

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I am really happy with what I have and even have a few I'm not sure I want

CV12, CV15, 21 Asph, 28 Cron, 35 IV, 50 Noct, 50 Pre-Lux, 73 Hektor, 75 Lux, 90 Cron AA.

Most used are by far the 28, 21, 50 Lux. After that, I use the 12 or 90 a bit, then rarely use the 75 or Noct --- and because of such limited use, I'm tempted to convert the last two into cash...
    Jack
    home: www.getdpi.com

"Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence."

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Current for M:

35 Cron ASPH, 50 Cron (latest), 90 Elmarit (latest)

I currently travel very light.

Subtractions or substitutions: none.

I love these three lenses. I started out with the 35 Lux ASPH, but found the cron to be more to my liking. The 50 Lux ASPH is a beautiful lens, but it is not my favorite focal length and the cron is nothing to scoff at. I also started with the 90 APO, but found the Elmarit very sharp, easy to focus, and more compact.

Additions:

WATE - Had it, gave it up, want it again (Mark....). 75 Cron -Great portrait lens, close focus, and I love the look. 24 Elmarit - crazy sharp, low distortion. Maybe 135 APO, but not sure if I'd carry it around with me. For tele work I'd just go to the R. Either 28 Cron or 28 Elmarit ASPH, but I'd rather shoot with a 35 most of the time.

That's it for M. Ideally, I like to travel light with M and that means 3 or 4 lenses in the bag. So, 35 for sure, 90 for sure, the rest is up for grabs.

David

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Jack,

I'd be willing to go as high as $3000 for the two in a quick sale..... Now THAT would be a

Happy Thanksgiving.....especially for me !!

Enjoy your big day.

Jim

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Stone View Post
    Jack,

I'd be willing to go as high as $3000 for the two in a quick sale..... Now THAT would be a

Happy Thanksgiving.....especially for me !!

Enjoy your big day.

Jim
    Jim, you are such a buddy!

ROTFLMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jack

"Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence."

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I think I am all set for M lenses. I have had most of them over the years and have got to know what I like. My setup is WATE, 24mm, 35mm Summicron ASPH, 50mm Summicron, Noctilux, 90mm APO ASPH, and 135mm tele-elmar.

I just finished packing my bag for a trip and I packed the WATE, 35mm Summicron ASPH, Noctilux, and 90mm Summicron ASPH.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Working with 2 M8s with a WATE, 24/2.8A, 28/2A, 35/1.4A, 50/1.4A, 75/1.4, 90/2.8, 90/2A, 135/3.4APO.

However, it's AFU, and I no longer trust any of my work to Leica Ms ... except my MP3 LHSA and retro 50/1.4A, Zeiss 28 and an old 90/2 Chrome.

The 50/1.4 won't focus correctly, has been back to Leica twice. Other lenses are off while some are on, so I don't know if it's the M8 rangefinders that are off, and if they are off, then what lenses are okay.

I really don't have time to sort it all out so I asked Irakly to take the whole damned mess and sort it out for me and get it all fixed. Right now it's a $30,000. pile of paper weights.

I've shot Leica M for over 30 years ... not once have I been so frustrated with them. When you get something that works like my pair of M7s did ( and currently my MP3), NEVER sell it for the latest thing (IMO).

Otherwise, Happy Thanksgiving

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

i dunno... i have always been apprehensive to this new aspherical gimmicks. well, i have an aspherical cv 1.5/50, but all my leica lenses are of classical design. 35mm summilux is my favorite, 50mm would have been too if it was not of a bit odd focal length for the m8. 2.8/90 tele-elmarit is a joy. 2/90 (the very first one) is not a lens of choice because it is just too huge for most purposes. what i am really missing is the 75. summarit performance proof did not look too enticing, summicron i have to give a very hard look.
    i also have two zeiss lenses. 2.8/28, which is in my opinion way better than all leica 28mm elmarits. another one is 4/18, and absolutely fabulous optics.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I like my 21mm wide in apo guise because I liek sharp wides, but I find that I too prefer the older style lenses - in particular my old 50 summilux is a favourite on the M8 for rendition -agree a 50 on the M8 is not quite right. I have no interest in longer focal lengths with M8 series cameras - i cant focus well enough to make use of them wide open.

workingcamera

I'm pretty well set up for M lenses and don't hanker after anymore additions. They were all bought pre M8 so for film / "full frame" use. (still haven't taken the plunge into digital with personal gear as yet)

I'm a little ambivalent about the ASPH jobs

But have 28 Cron (which is a pretty nice optic I like "snappy wides" and the Cron does the job nicely)

35 Lux (not enraptured by this one itís a work lens) It does get the most work

But also have the eight element 35 Cron with eyes for the M3 and this is such a sweet lens.

For wider wides I went with 19 Elmarit-R and the SLR route, instead of getting a 21-M, or even an old 15 mm.

50 lux, old version and 'am with Peter A on this one, I like the look it gives. For some reason I prefer the older glass tra designs for the 50s both in R and M.

The 75 Lux I find a very useful lens and have grown quite fond of.

The 90AA Cron which I consider a treasure and also have the other end of the spectrum with a beater 90 Elmar (1957 vintage). It was thrown in free with my M3 years back and I would never give it up

Also carry a 135 Elmarit-M which I should use more often... its there in case I ever need it. I traded one I had for a LF enlarger (because I hardley used it) and felt naked without it so it got replaced.

Post Thanks / Like

After a brief inventory ..you could only conclude that I have too many M lenses. WATE,21A,24A,28A,35IV,35LX,50Cron,50LuxA,50Noc,50Z m planar, 75LX,90AA. Plus to sell 21preA,28cron(have 2). Of course the 50Lx,50Noc,75Lux are in the Solms Spa but expected home for christmas. I no longer use a bag unless traveling having switched to vests(when I get free of the relatives I will post on this). My standard set up is 2 M8s ..21ASPH and 35Lux or 90AA. The 4th lens is the 50 Planar but the 50 Lux will replace it when I get it right. So its 21ASPH on one body and one of the other 3 on the 2nd M8..the other two fit in the right and left front pockets of the vest. On my wish list ..to try....18mm zeiss and the 75 Cron.

Post Thanks / Like

I have been buying (but not selling enough) Leica lenses for quite a few years. So I definitely have more M and screw mount lenses than I need. My favorites are the 28 Cron and the 75 Lux. Would include my 30% off Nocti but do not use it often enough, or the 50Lux asph except for focusing problems. So I go out with the 28, the 75, and a Cron 50.

Alan

Post Thanks / Like

When I migrated from R to M earlier this year, I really wanted to limit myself to 3 or 4 lenses. I couldn't do it. Here is my lineup:
    CV 15, 21 Elmarit A, 35 lux A, 50 lux A, 75 lux, 90 cron AA

I'm always thinking about other lenses (especially the 28 cron A), but this lineup is already more than adequate!
    --Mark

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by PeterA View Post
    I like my 21mm wide in apo guise because I liek sharp wides, but I find that I too prefer the older style lenses - in particular my old 50 summilux is a favourite on the M8 for rendition -agree a 50 on the M8 is not quite right. I have no interest in longer focal lengths with M8 series cameras - i cant focus well enough to make use of them wide open.
    Peter

I am with you on this one. I absolutely love my 50 pre asph lux and would not think to trade it for the new asph. Drawing is totally different and much more filmlike in my opinion. Jack Flesher also loves this lens and some recent wedding shots he did in black and white were just spectacular.

Woody Spedden

KJB

Have: 15CV, WATE, 21A, 28 cron A, 35 cron A, 50 lux A, Nocti, 90CV

Want: 24 A, 35 lux A, 75 lux, 90 Elmarit, Silver M7

Need: 21A, 28 A, 50 lux A

So thinking of selling: 15CV, Nocti, 90CV (listed)

There really is no hope for me...

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by woodyspedden View Post
    Peter

I am with you on this one. I absolutely love my 50 pre asph lux and would not think to trade it for the new asph. Drawing is totally different and much more filmlike in my opinion. Jack Flesher also loves this lens and some recent wedding shots he did in black and white were just spectacular.

Woody Spedden
    Yes indeed, include me in this camp! I too like sharp wides, but also want "the look" I get from the older Mandler design Leica glass. The 50 Pre-Lux may be the pinnacle of that design era for me, though the 35 version IV is really nice too. Interestingly, the 28 Cron Asph wide open through f2.8 has that look too; really smooth, but still sharp. Because the 28 Cron and 35 IV paint so beautifully for me, I don't get too excited over any of the Asph 35's...

The 75 Lux and Noctilux are in their own camp and definitely have their own unique characteristics which is why I keep them --- but the truth be known, I rarely to almost never use either one. I should sell them both...

Moving longer, the 90 Cron Pre-Asph, the last model with the built-in hood, has "the look" too. Only problem for me there was when I used the 90, I usually wanted it really sharp wide open. So in the end, I settled on the 90 AA --- a stunning lens at f2 where I usually use it...

Which brings me to the wides... For me, the 21 Pre-Asph was an oddity. It is actually sharper wide open in the center than the Asph, though notably worse at the corners. Not a big issue to me as I rarely shoot my wides wide open anyway. At f4, the Asph jumps ahead center to corner. At f5.6, a really interesting thing occurs: the asph is still notably sharper at the center and corners, but at the middle 1/3 through 2/3 outer area, the pre may be one of the sharpest perfromers I've ever seen! Jamie uses this feature to advantage by framing his subjects at the golden means, which places them squarely in this uber-sharp zone of the 21 pre. However for landscapes, I prefer the sharper center and more even resolution across the image through to the corners. Still, the pre-Asph 21 is something to consider if you shoot people with wideangle lenses

(Note: IMO the 24 is an excellent lens too, but for me with the 28 as my primary focal, the spacing gap to the 21 simply makes more sense.)

The CV 12 and 15 are really great performers on the M8 at f8 through f11, which again, is not a problem for me because it's where I use them for landscape or architecture anyway and rarely would shoot people with them other than a large group. BTW, if you only want one ultra-wide, my advice is to go all the way to the 12. It is a tad better overall than the 15, being very slightly sharper and having slightly better contrast. But the real advantage IMO is the focus ring has indents at the near and far hyperfocals for that lens at f5.6, which in turn makes it very easy to zone focus on the fly.

Cheers,
    Jack

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Flesher View Post

The 75 Lux and Noctilux are in their own camp and definitely have their own unique characteristics which is why I keep them --- but the truth be known, I rarely to almost never use either one. I should sell them both...
    Makes me feel less alone I feel the same way about my 75 - but each time I have the urge to sell, I think of the way it draws...
    JAAP
    http://www.jaapvphotography.eu
    The colours of my generation are black and white.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by jaapv View Post
    Makes me feel less alone I feel the same way about my 75 - but each time I have the urge to sell, I think of the way it draws...

LOLOLOLOL!!!!!!!!!!! I hear you Jaap! Their signatures and the fact they are had to find is precisely why I still have them both (And, I'm glad to know I am not alone either!)
    Jack

PaulMayeux

Well - I'm happy with most of my selections, having only sold off a MATE and Noctilux for lack of use.

I've got: 15/4.5 CV, 21/2.8 ASPH, 24/2.8 ASPH, 28/2.8 Elmarit ASPH
    35/1.4 ASPH, 50/1.4 ASPH and 75/1.4

The only one with which I am disappointed is the 28/2.8 ASPH. There is something about it's fingerprint that I just can't seem to get excited about. It is plenty sharp but overly contrasty. I do like the size - but my next lens purchase will be a 28/2.0 to replace it.

The newest one is the 24/2.8 ASPH and it is beautiful, but I'm still leaning toward the 28 for the M8s crop. Not a big difference but it is noticeable.

Least used is the 15/4.5 - really wish Leica would come out with a small, prime wide.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Paul from what i seen of the new 28 2.8 it just did not have that fingerprint I liked either, not surprised you mention that . Think 28 Cron here, it just sings
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Ditto the 28 comment --- the 28 Elmarit jsut didn't grab me the way the 28 Cron does...
    Jack

Post Thanks / Like

Finally got around to joining this group....thanks for creating this alternative....

Happy with lens selections? Yes and no. For the most part the coverage and image quality I get from my modest collection is quite good. Kit includes: CV15/4.5, Zeiss 25/2.8, CV35/1.2 Nokton, CV50/1.5 Nokton, 50/1 Noctilux and 75/2 AA. I have self-coded all the non-Leica stuff, and it works fine, including the lensmount swap on the Zeiss. My only disappointments are the backfocus issues on the Nocti and 75 Cron, but I have learned to make the right adjustments in my focus.

For all practical use, the kit covers most of what I do with the M8, and adds some really interesting extensions with the CV35/1.2 Nokton, the Noctilux and the 75 Cron. I keep thinking about adding a 90mm, but at this point, I have the better covered with my Canon DSLR gear, so no real pressing need.

I am constantly surprised by how good images from the CVs and Zeiss have been, but still see the really great/unique capabilities of the Nocti and 75 Cron to have me thinking about swapping some CV for Leica glass. Have not been quite able to get there yet, as I am not convinced personally that there would be that much difference. Some see it and think it the case, but I have not shared that experience.

What would I like to see? Like others a faster, fixed wide, to supplant the CV 15/4.5 which really does not kick into gear until f6.3 or so. A 15/2.8 that is not unwieldy, and was sharp at the edges would be most welcomed.

LJ

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hi LJ and welcome!

Looks like you have a very sound M kit
    Jack

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Have: Leica WATE, 28/2.8A, 35/2A, 50/1.4A, 50/1.0, 90/2A, C/V 15/4.5 and 50/1.5
    Want: Leica 28 Summicron, 75 Summarit, 75 Summilux
    Need: More Money

Senior Subscriber Member
    Post Thanks / Like

As the compulsive contrarian I'm doing the opposite. Naturally.

I like f/2 lenses, even when I had the 35/1.4A I shot it at f/2-f/2.8. f/1.4 is just too shallow and completely obliterates the background. Same with the Summilux-R 80 that I love; I still shoot it at f/2-f/4, depending on distance. I don't want to completely eliminate the background, just create a little separation. To my taste, a face or head that's only partially in focus rarely works. So I don't buy f/1.4 lenses anymore, unless they have other redeeming qualities (like the 75 and 80 summiluxes). The exception might be hypothetical wide angles (like a 21/1.4 would hit the spot nicely).

I love the Tele-Elmar 135/4. Great lens, nice rendition, color, sharp. Easy to focus, no back/front issues. f/4 is about the biggest useful aperture for a lens this length anyway IMO, so no point chasing f/2 or f/2.8. Again, anything larger would obliterate the background at any distance I'm likely to use it.

I like the 75A a lot and don't think I'd trade it for the 90AA. I love its look in soft light. But I'm considering complementing the 75A with a pre-asph 90/2 or 90/2.8 for harsher situations. Which seems to be the total opposite of everyone else.

Not sure I really have any use for a lens between 35 and 75. Although a Sonnar 50 (original) would be neat, or a 50A, I'm not sure what I'd use either for. I don't need the speed, they don't have the reach of a 75 while they give a narrower view than a 35. (Which is already borderline on the M8 IMO.) Now, a 28A on the other hand...

Oh well, I'm rambling when I should be working...

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Rambling is more fun , do it all the time

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Take mine with a grain of salt. I never went the dslr route because I hated the size. I am very much an amateur hobbyist. I bought the Digilux 2 and loved it. However, it died and I was thinking about what was going to be next as the EVF was sort of annoying and it did feel pretty silly using that camera from the LCD. So, along came the M8. Coming from a small sensor, I didn't really know what focal lengths and lenses I wanted as I was very used to a very large DOF. So, actually being able to get some OOF areas with a 28mm lens a whole new world for me. I didn't listen to too much advice and instead of concentrating on one or two lenses I bought a whole bunch of cv's to figure it all out. Once I started to get more comfortable, I then started refining what I want to use most of all.

Right now I am very happy with what I have want to progress up the next learning curve before swapping for different lenses (except for one small change). I am sure at some point I will lust after something else and this answer may change when more work is complete by Guy and Sean on the new Summarits.

Have
    CV15, CV21, CV28 (need to list this for sale), 28 cron, CV 35 (f2.5), 50 cron, CV75 and 90 macro elmar.

The lens now on the camera most of the time is the 28 cron.
    The one change I might make is to switch the 15 for the 12 as I have the milich adapter and hood and a 21 finder which could completely subsidize the purchase of a 12 which I don't plan on coding.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Jan, I did exactly that before getting the 75 Lux... I had the 90 Pre Cron and it renders beautifully. But it isn't a laser wide open, more like the 80 R at f1.4. Anyway, it does sharpen up nicely at about f4. In thh end, I traded up to the 90AA because I wanted sharper performance wide open --- and the 90AA delivers in spades. Now I want a smaller lens for travel, go figure. I'l probably end up with the Summarit at some pont, but doubt I'll get rid of the 90 AA...
    Jack

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Terry --- that CV 12 is one sweet lens!

Jack

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Okay, I have been ALMOST but not quite as bad as Guy when it comes to lenses.

I've finally started trimming back to what I really use and also like from the ergonomics, size, and rendition.

My kit has finally shaped into the 28 Cron ASPH, 35 Cron ASPH, 50 Lux ASPH, and 90 Elmarit for the M8.

The only one which is still on the blocks is the 35 Cron ASPH as this is my least used lens, and for which I would trade out in a heartbeat if I could have a 35 Lux ASPH that did not focus shift between 2.0 - 5.6 aperture. The 35 Cron can be just a little too contrasty for me still. The 35 Cron IV has strange or Nocti type "bokeh" at times which I just don't get along with. The 35 Biogon is nice from the standpoint of rendering but is even more contrasty than the 35 Cron ASPH. The Summarit has a fingerprint that I have trouble describing but leaves me still preferring the Cron. Leica please reformulate the 35 Lux ASPH so that it does not have the focus shift.

The funny thing about my lens choices is that it is basically still the same as it was on film. I still like the same lenses for the same reasons as I did before. I just adjust to the crop factor by being a couple steps farther away than before.

The 28 Cron is a marvel in how well it handles everything. The 50 Lux is truly what I think to be the best 50 in existence. The 90 Elmarit renders sharply but smooth, which is exactly what I want out of a 90.

The 90 Elmarit ended up in the bag after buying it from Guy, when we were shooting both it and his 90 Cron ASPH together. I found that I liked the handling of the Elmarit better, the gear ratio for focusing was easier for me to snap things into focus, the Cron only has a marginal sharpness edge at 2.8, I don't need the 2.0 or size in a 90, and I preferred the smoother rendering of the Elmarit.

------------------

The WATE is a nice lens but is going away as I don't really need all three focal lengths, the cost, the huge but excellent finder, and I REALLY want a faster wide prime for interior work. (A fast 16 on the M8 or a fast 21 on a FF would be ideal for me.)

The 75 Cron is another marvel based on its brother the 50 Lux, but I prefer the 50 focal length so it got virtually no use. 75 is in between for me, so I tended more towards the 50 or the 90. The other issue I had was the 75 frame line inaccuracy and also being so close in the VF to the 50, just did not work for me.

24 Elmarit ASPH, is another great lens and would have been my choice vs. the 28 Cron if I used the 35 focal length more than the 50. However, I prefer the 28, 50, 90 steps vs. 24, 35, 75 steps. Since, I wear glasses the 24 is also difficult for me to see on the M8.

My next logical step down from the 28 is a 21, for which I'm trying out the Zeiss 21 4.5 C Biogon. It is mostly seeing duty on film with the Zeiss 21 mm finder. 21 is wider than what I normally shot in the past, but is turning out to be very useful. This lens is also killer sharp, virtually no distortion, and compact. However, it is slow. To use it on the M8 is a PAIN. The mount is wrong and must be changed by Zeiss as this one requires recalibration when changing. That leaves a problem of how to code it with anything other than markers. I have been using it on the M8 with Cornerfix.

I'll skip mentioning all of the other Leica lenses that I have owned over the years on previous film Ms.

----------------------

So at the moment, I'm happy with my lens line-up based on what is currently available.
    However, I would really love to see a reformulated 35 Lux and 21 Cron ASPH. Those I would trade up into, in a heartbeat.

--------

Best,

Ray

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Wink Re: Are you happy with your lens selections

I am a newbie to the whole Leica world. I have been shooting Nikons since 1965 with everything up to 800mm. I have been quite happy with my little Leica bag - M8, 16-18-21 Tri-Elmar and a 50 lux. Then, I attend a seminar hosted by Jack and Guy and a delightful Leica rep named Linda and her husband, Jim, and a 90 cron is on the way. I am even using the Leica shorthand "cron", "lux", etc. Feels like a slippery slope to me. So, leave me to my own devices. I don't know what I need. Leave me be!! I am better off that way. What fun!!
    Best to all,

Reynolds

PaulMayeux

Slippery is an understatement. I think this stuff rivals crack (both in addictiveness and price!) But hey - the last time I looked hearse's didn't have luggage racks...

Jamie Roberts

Quote Originally Posted by PaulMayeux View Post
    Slippery is an understatement. I think this stuff rivals crack (both in addictiveness and price!) But hey - the last time I looked hearse's didn't have luggage racks...
    "Rivals" crack?!

LOL!! It's way worse. Let me tell you the misery (and poverty) that sets in as your kit completes...

Apart from the 28 cron, I really don't want anything else for my M8 (I really do want that, but I'm waiting now for the right lens at the right price).

My kit:

*15 CV
    *21 Elmarit pre-asph (which I love on the M8)
    *24 Elmarit ASPH
    *28 1.9 CV
    *35 Lux ASPH
    *50 Lux ASPH
    *50 Noctilux
    *75 Lux
    *90 cron pre-ASPH
    *90 Elmarit "Thin"

But I do have this great gear--all of which gets a lot of use, actually

And I suppose I could always start adapting the Olys, and then there's the Zeiss stuff--that 50 1.5 looks really interesting--and I guess I could use a 135; then there's the pre-ASPH 35s and 50s, and what if the Summarits look different, or there's a 18 f2.0 in the works?!!

HELP!!

Guy Mancuso--you have a lot to answer for LOL!!!!

BTW--interesting that the list should be in black type Someone is trying to tell me something...

PaulMayeux

Guy does have a lot to answer for

Now we need a a thread on how many bags we've accumulated

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hey I am innocent Just because Jack nicknamed me lens whore really does not mean anything.

Shootist

Well let me see.
    21CV M-Mount
    24 ASPH
    28/2.8 ASPH
    35 Cron
    40 Cron-C f/2
    50 Cron
    50 Lux ASPH
    75 Cron ASPH
    2-90 TE Thin
    2-135 Elmarit W/eyes (one first version one second version)

Do I need any other lenses, NO. Do I want any other lenses, YES. A Leica 18/2.8 or f/4.

What lens is the body cap, that would be the 50 Lux. What lens gets used the most, the 50 Lux. After that it is a real toss up between the 28/21/24 and sometimes the 35. But the 75 and 90 get used also. What I find is I don't use the 135 as much on digital as I did with film. Could be because it is so big.

Oh YES I am happy with my lens selection.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Am I happy with my current lens collection?

Well... I was until Guy posted his Summarit tests!

Jack

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

hey at least there not 3k a pop

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Cool Re: Are you happy with your lens selections

I'm not completely thrilled with my collection.

I'm really missing out on the wide and and would love to get the 21 Asph and 28 Cron.
    I'm also missing some good speed in the mid section so I'd like to get a 50 Lux. I'd love to get the Noct, but that's not nearly as likely to happen.
    As for a little bit of reach, I'd love to pick up a 90 APO Asph.

So, I'm just missing the following:
    21 Asph
    28 Cron
    50 Lux
    90 APO Asph.

At least this is balanced by the fact that I'm missing a Leica M body (M8 would be my first choice).
    But with a little luck it's something I can rectify mid 2008.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Jack is selling his 90 apo right now and a 28 cron yes folks i seen one today at www.KEH.com

Cha- ching i feel melting credit cards coming

Chris you sliding down I can feel the leica slope rising under those feet. LOL

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisDauer View Post
    I'm not completely thrilled with my collection.

I'm really missing out on the wide and and would love to get the 21 Asph and 28 Cron.
    I'm also missing some good speed in the mid section so I'd like to get a 50 Lux. I'd love to get the Noct, but that's not nearly as likely to happen.
    As for a little bit of reach, I'd love to pick up a 90 APO Asph.

So, I'm just missing the following:
    21 Asph
    28 Cron
    50 Lux
    90 APO Asph.

At least this is balanced by the fact that I'm missing a Leica M body (M8 would be my first choice).
    But with a little luck it's something I can rectify mid 2008.

Too funny --- great post!
    Jack

workingcamera

Talking Re: Are you happy with your lens selections

ROTFLoL... Chris you're a dagg (in a good way)

Brilliant post... been laughing for hours

In deed, Leicas are about the bragging rights that come from full camera bags and emaciated wallets.

I hope see that you have rectified those gaps in your lens kit in due course