The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

The "BAD" old Leica lenses

roanjoh

I am in the market for a Leica lens and would prefer to buy used as the prices for the new lenses are astronomical!! Is there any old Leica lens I should stay away from? It seems that all the reviews of any Leica lenses are glowing!! Would like to hear people's opinions.

Thanks!!

Oh, and if you can't think of a bad Leica lens and would like to recommend one that is of good value, include that in too ;-)

s.agar

Make sure the glass surfaces do not have cleaning marks. Also inner surfaces may have dust and fog.
These may be very difficult to see. So make a very close inspection with a strong light source.

I have many old Leica lenses. performances may not be as good as the latest versions when measuring technically, but all have their own character.

So many possibilities! I encourage you to look at the old "rigid" 50mm summicron. Just make sure the glass is clear. They can be found for $300-500 and it's a great lens. Best....Peter

Antique Camera, CameraQuest, & Erwin Puts sites all have a lot of info about older lenses. If you want tech data, google 'old photodo'.

If you look on the Wiki for 'Walter Mandler', you'll find a list of the lenses he designed – generally speaking, they're the very best of the oldies; some in production until quite recently.

Kirk

roanjoh

Thanks guys!! Will be doing some reading.

Whats the consensus on the pre-asph 35 and 50 Summilux? I've seen a few of them for less than $1500.

Shac

Have no experience of 35 lux, but i have a 2nd version 50 lux - Love it and you should be able to get a good one for way less than $1,500

LCT

There is no bad Leica lens AFAIK. The best affordable ones are perhaps the latest Elmar 50/2.8 and the 30 yo Summicron-C 40/2.

You don't want the first version of the 35 pre-a Lux. Even when the optical forulae remained the same, the coatings & glass improved over time. Some of the oldest have fragile coating. Read the info in the sources mentioned above.

Kirk

roanjoh

You don't want the first version of the 35 pre-a Lux. Even when the optical forulae remained the same, the coatings & glass improved over time. Some of the oldest have fragile coating. Read the info in the sources mentioned above.

Kirk
Thanks Kirk. Will hold off on that one then and maybe look into a used 50 lux pre-asph. I did read about the flare issues with the old 35 lux.

proenca

I second that.. there is no BAD Leica lens.

Specially when we start going back, there are LOT of lens with DIFFERENT signatures.

There are some tack sharp, others that are mellow, other that render the shadow transition in this or that way, others with a more direct bokeh, others with a more faded bokeh...

Bad ? No.

Different ? Yes.

You just have to do your homework and find what you like and which lens has it.

Scargos2

I have 3 old lens, a 35 Lux added a 12524 hood to add a IR filter and prevent flare. Have not had any flare at all. A 50mm and a 90 Tele-Elmarit. And all lens work great and love the look, low contrast has to be uped in Lightroom though.
The prices are what I like about them. All three cost less than 1 new lens.
Old lens go for them, you will not be sorry

helenhill

since I'm a RETRO leica gal
my all time favs I still have:
1966 35 lux
1966 50 lux
1959 35 summaron f2.8 ...beautifully crisp & sharp !!

(though I do MISS the 21 super angulon,dang!)

as someone pointed out YOU can't go wrong
its just a matter of what style & character You are looking to Create

take a Peek @ my flickr /link below
there are some 'SETS' with various leica lenses
Best- H
:)

roanjoh

Thanks for all the response guys!! I am now seriously looking into a 35 f1.4 pre-asph to add to my kit as a low light lens. OR, maybe score a good deal on an ASPH version when the new one is introduced.

ampguy - 50's Canon? Did they make an M-mount lens?

ampguy

Probably not, but LTM to M adapters allow the old Canon's to work great.

Here's some travel shots with a tiny Canon 28/2.8 here, most wide open

Thanks for all the response guys!! I am now seriously looking into a 35 f1.4 pre-asph to add to my kit as a low light lens. OR, maybe score a good deal on an ASPH version when the new one is introduced.

ampguy - 50's Canon? Did they make an M-mount lens?