The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

The "BAD" old Leica lenses

woodyspedden

Thanks for all the response guys!! I am now seriously looking into a 35 f1.4 pre-asph to add to my kit as a low light lens. OR, maybe score a good deal on an ASPH version when the new one is introduced.

ampguy - 50's Canon? Did they make an M-mount lens?

:)
See my listings in the buy and sell forum.

The 35 and 50 luxes are sold but the silver 28 cron and the black 75 lux are still available. Maybe the best of the bunch in my opinion. I also have a 21 Elmarit which is another special, special lens.

Have a look and let me know

Peter Klein

Roanjoh: If you are interested, I have a Canon 50/1.8 LTM that I haven't been using. It is in the league of the 50 Rigid Summicron. I have a DR Summicron (identical to the Rigid), so it's kind of redundant for me. If you're interested, PM me.

W

wilsonlaidlaw

Does it have to be Leica? There are no dogs in the current Zeiss ZM range. You can always get them coded. I had two examples of the current 50 Summicron and neither were up to much. I now use a 50/2 ZM Planar and it is excellent. Unlike many of my modern Leica lenses, it focuses smoothly as well. My 50 ASPH Summilux had horrible focusing and my 35 ASPH Summilux although better and otherwise a superb lens, is not a touch on the Zeiss Planar for focusing smoothness.

Wilson

irakly

Thanks guys!! Will be doing some reading.

Whats the consensus on the pre-asph 35 and 50 Summilux? I've seen a few of them for less than $1500.
these are the lenses that i use.
35 is a bit tricky, and it can give you quite a bit of headache before you learn how to use it right. once you master the outspoken "leica glow", however, it will become your favorite, if not the only lens.

50 is easier to handle and all-around excellent lens, but if you are looking for a "BAD" lens, 35 is badder :)
So, here is a photo taken with 1.4/35 @ f/5.6

Last edited:

roanjoh

See my listings in the buy and sell forum.

The 35 and 50 luxes are sold but the silver 28 cron and the black 75 lux are still available. Maybe the best of the bunch in my opinion. I also have a 21 Elmarit which is another special, special lens.

Have a look and let me know
Thanks Woody............I wish I could snatch the 28 cron off your hands but I just don't have the funds to justify such a purchase...........

roanjoh

Roanjoh: If you are interested, I have a Canon 50/1.8 LTM that I haven't been using. It is in the league of the 50 Rigid Summicron. I have a DR Summicron (identical to the Rigid), so it's kind of redundant for me. If you're interested, PM me.
Thanks Peter.......... I actually just purchased a used 50 cron for a good deal - my first Leica lens!!! WOOHOOOO!!! CAn't wait to get it......

roanjoh

Does it have to be Leica? There are no dogs in the current Zeiss ZM range. You can always get them coded. I had two examples of the current 50 Summicron and neither were up to much. I now use a 50/2 ZM Planar and it is excellent. Unlike many of my modern Leica lenses, it focuses smoothly as well. My 50 ASPH Summilux had horrible focusing and my 35 ASPH Summilux although better and otherwise a superb lens, is not a touch on the Zeiss Planar for focusing smoothness.

Wilson
Hmmm............... you tell me this after I purchased a used 50 cron!! I actually have 2 Zeiss lenses in my line-up (35f2 and 21 f2.8) - both amazing lenses that offer such stunning image quality and great value (compared to their Leica counterparts). Now I'm wishing they will introduce a 1.4 prime (between 21-35) to challenge the summiluxes!!

roanjoh

these are the lenses that i use.
35 is a bit tricky, and it can give you quite a bit of headache before you learn how to use it right. once you master the outspoken "leica glow", however, it will become your favorite, if not the only lens.

50 is easier to handle and all-around excellent lens, but if you are looking for a "BAD" lens, 35 is badder :)
So, here is a photo taken with 1.4/35 @ f/5.6
irakly - how is the pre-asp 35 lux wide open?? There is one at keh for $1350 that I am contemplating............but I've heard so much negative reviews regarding this lens that I don't know which ones to listen to. I will only use this lens wide-open as I already have a Zeiss 35 f2 that I am quite happy with optically.

OH - and GREAT shot BTW!!! It's not your standard family photo :)

irakly

that's exactly what i am talking about. when you learn how to handle what this lens has to offer between 1.4 and 2.8, it's a marvel. people who bash it, simply do not know what they are doing :)
here is an example:

helenhill

a Bergdorf Goodman window...late one nite, neopan1600...35 1.4 Magic ...this lens is GORGEOUS !!!
click on to make BIGGER

gero

I agree about the old summilux, cron & summaron 35's they are fantastic each with its own signature.

Irakli, do you do sharpening on shots like the ones you showed ?

this is the summarex 85-1.5

Last edited:

kevin

that's exactly what i am talking about. when you learn how to handle what this lens has to offer between 1.4 and 2.8, it's a marvel. people who bash it, simply do not know what they are doing :)
here is an example:
Or it could simply be that they want a lens that doesn't require special handling at any aperture wider than f4.0.

The pre-aspherical 35 lux is a specialty lens by modern standards. It really can deliver a gorgeous look, or it can rival a plastic lens Holga for flare, coma and distortion. You have to like its look, and you must handle it with care.

It's just a lens with certain properties, that's all. No such thing as magic.