The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Which bokeh do you like better?

apsheng

Just to have some fun, I won't say for now which 35mm lenses these were taken with. Both shot at f2. Which bokeh do you like better? Any guesses which lenses these were?

Alan

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Hi Alan:

I like the first one for this particular image since it's smoother. However, I see the hint of under-corected coma (swirlies) in the second,which is an effect I really like when it's more prominent.

As for which lenses they are, I really don't have a clue, but based on what I'm seeing I'll take a guess: First is a 35 Lux Asph, second is a 35 Version 4 Cron.

Cheers,

apsheng

I agree with you Jack. I also like the first one better. It is smoother. But the second one is sharper on the rose e.g. on the drops of dew. Difficult to see here but quite obvious in larger crops.

I'll wait a day or two to let you know which lenses were used.

Alan

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
I only responded as to bokeh, but should have explained I felt the second one is sharper and has better contrast too...

Cheers,

carstenw

My guess from what I am seeing in the colour is 35/2 IV, then 35/2 Asph.

I forgot to say: I don't prefer the bo-ke in this image strongly one way or the other, but I much prefer the colours in the second image.

Last edited:

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Agree Lux first tan IV cron. No question on the cron. If i want that Luxlook I have it in the 50 and really my 28 cron is smooth as butter in the background

W

workingcamera

I'm with the... Lux ASPH first ... Cron IV second, mob

As far as bokeh is concerned my vote is with the second pic... just smoother.

The first is "snappier" and the additional contrast helps bring out the foreground subject better.

apsheng

I'm with the... Lux ASPH first ... Cron IV second, mob

As far as bokeh is concerned my vote is with the second pic... just smoother.

The first is "snappier" and the additional contrast helps bring out the foreground subject better.
Mmm ... did you have the first and second reversed?

As for lenses, here is a hint - the reason I posted this thread was I was surprised at the smooth Lux like Bokeh in the first photo...

Alan

W

workingcamera

Alan LOL yes (banging forehead head with fist imacon)

Jan Brittenson

Senior Subscriber Member
My vote is for the second one. The first one is smoother, but the second is more visually interesting, at least to my taste.

apsheng

Re: Which bokeh do you like better? These are the lenses

My vote is for the second one. The first one is smoother, but the second is more visually interesting, at least to my taste.
The higher contrast makes the rose pop out more in the second photo. It should, its the Cron 35 asph.

I really like the bokeh of a first one. Taken with a 1960 Cron 35 8-element with goggles. A lens I have not used for years ever since I retired the M3 in favor of a M6. I'd use it more often on the M8 but the goggles makes it too bulky.

I've been going back to some of my older lenses on the M8. Some from the 60s really draw nicely.

Alan

Stuart Richardson

I watched the video and found it somewhat amusing. Also amusing is that he is basically talking about it in the context of filming yourself, as opposed to actual use in photography. Kind of funny to talk about reviewing lenses for reviewing cameras. It demonstrates to me how detached many of these youtube folks are from actually engaging in photography. It feels ripe for some sort of infinite regression: man reviews lens for reviewing cameras for reviewing lenses for reviewing cameras for reviewing lenses ad infinitum. I agree that bokeh can be overemphasized, particularly among amateurs that might perhaps spend more time and energy on learning to photograph than about the bokeh of full frame or smaller lenses. That said, pleasing bokeh is a nice feature to have in a lens, but it is only one facet of a lens's performance.