The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

The M9 arrived a day early

Don Libby

I wasn't expecting the M9 to arrive till tomorrow and was knee deep in finalizing work so I could leave here Monday with a clear conscious. All that went out the window with the arrival of the FedEx truck. I did manage to complete most of the work while the battery was being charged then I just had to try her out.

I've shot with rangefinders before so I wasn't worried about a learning curve. Some instant thoughts as they come to mind while writing this include the size and weight. I had anticipated a smallish lightweight body much the same as I remember the X-Pan being. The body is larger and weighs more which is a very good thing to me. I was worried about the size of the camera and fit in my hand however now that I've had it in my hands I see there's no concern. There's a nice weight to it as well.

Lenses. Dave sent me a trio of lenses starting with the Summicron 35mm f/2 ASPH, Summicron-M 50mm f/2 and the Summarit-M 90mm f2.5. I remember the X-Pan lenses being small and had what I thought was a general idea of the sizes of these lenses however once I had them in my hand the only expression is WOW. I can truly see packing the camera and 3-lenses for miles and not being tired. The thing that's weigh the most will be either my water or tripod. Now that's what I call a true hiking kit.

I've managed to test all 3-lenses and offer the results here. All images were taken in the immediate area of my house as I really can't afford to not have my work completed in time for the trip. The plan is to work through the night so I can go play - err I mean try the kit out at a better location before I hit the road Monday.

The images are all tests and any problems are solely on me as I just had to rush out and try them.

Don

jonoslack

Congratulations Don
I hope you'll all be very happy together. Great combination of lenses, all you need now on the 'small and sensibly priced' scheme is the 24 elmar M.

all the best

beamon

Good going, Don! I'll be surprised if it isn't a keeper.

Bottlebrush in bloom already?! I'm just down in Sahuarita and no sign of bottlebrush blooms here, yet.

Don Libby

Good going, Don! I'll be surprised if it isn't a keeper.

Bottlebrush in bloom already?! I'm just down in Sahuarita and no sign of bottlebrush blooms here, yet.

Kinda surprised at the early bottlebrush myself. Here's the same image cropped and converted using C1. Yeah I think this will be a keeper. Looking forward to taking long walks with this setup.

Hope to get some better images tomorrow now that I've got my work completed.

Don

C

Chris_R

Don,

Congratulations, what a great surprise. I never seem to get things I want early.;) I am looking forward to hearing your thoughts and of course seeing
some of your images. Enjoy

Cheers
Chris

Ricnak

Congratulations Mr Libby.

BUT...... it's not fair! I'm still waiting for mine. It does not seem that long ago that you mentioned ordering it. How long have you waited for your M9?

Don Libby

Congratulations Mr Libby.

BUT...... it's not fair! I'm still waiting for mine. It does not seem that long ago that you mentioned ordering it. How long have you waited for your M9?
I agree that it hasn't been all that long ago when I first posted my intentions of getting an M9. The original was not to get on any lists and let the backlog delivery get taken care of first as I wasn't in any real hurry. I've got a month long shoot in Jackson Hole WY the month of October and I wanted the M9 by then so that was my timeframe.

I've been doing business with Capture Integration for many many years and when I found Dave was beginning to carry Leica I called and talked with him. The rest is history.

And Mr. Libby is way too formal! :D

Don
I'd suggest contacting one or both of the following from this forum:

Dave Gallagher, Capture Integration and,or
Monza, Precision Camera

Don Libby

Don congrats . Slippery slope bud. LOL

Enjoy
Ha! Slippery slope? I feel like I'm standing of the edge of a huge mudslide with one foot dangling and my hands are too full of stuff to reach out and stop my fall...

Hi, I'm Don and I'm a gearacholic. I haven't bought any gear in 12 hours.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Ha! Slippery slope? I feel like I'm standing of the edge of a huge mudslide with one foot dangling and my hands are too full of stuff to reach out and stop my fall...

Hi, I'm Don and I'm a gearacholic. I haven't bought any gear in 12 hours.
Me either time to hit a buy button somewhere. LOL

D&A

Don,

Congradulations, I know the feeling. Think of this...how may other situations can one slip off a cliff and still have a great big smile on their face. OK, I can think of one or two others...but the less said the better :) In the meantime, hold on and have a great time!

Dave (D&A)