The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Raw conversion

chrisdpi

I recently purchased a used M8.2 and a new 35 'cron asph as an intro to RF photography. I'm currently evaluating different raw converters (C1 Pro, LR 3 Beta, Aperture 3, Raw Developer and Raw Photo Processor) and found RPP to render the best detail.

Has anyone used Raw Photo Processor and if so, what is your workflow.

Thanks,
Chris

Scargos2

I down loaded Raw photo processor over the week end . Not a great software. The sliders do not work. Can not delete a photo in this program. To do a large shoot like 500-1,000 would be a nighmare to go through and sort out the bad ones. Can not see it to use for a working pro.

chrisdpi

Agreed, I believe there is a steep learning curve with RPP, but I may need some more time to play with it. This is "donationware" and is great value for money.

I have using Aperture 3 and the raw conversion is very good too. I may be using this in the future.

horosu

I think RPP has the BEST RAW conversion on the Mac. Especially for B&W it leaves Sliver Efex Pro in the Dust. It also has a batch mode for working with large sets. And for donators, there is a Adobe Lightroom integration, where you are able to sort the photos out in Lightroom and then convert the ones you choose in RPP.It then reimports the results into Lightroom. The developer is looking into ways to communicate with Aperture 3.

Hope this helps.

horosu

Scargos2,

RPP is not a digital assets management toot (DAM)- you cannot organize, delete, etc your files. Rather is "optimizes" the RAW output of your chosen files.

My workflow is like this:

I download all the files into Lightroom.
I select the keepers.
Pass them through RPP directly from within Lightroom.
Reimport them into LR.

Best, Horea

Scargos2,

RPP is not a digital assets management toot (DAM)- you cannot organize, delete, etc your files. Rather is "optimizes" the RAW output of your chosen files.

My workflow is like this:

I download all the files into Lightroom.
I select the keepers.
Pass them through RPP directly from within Lightroom.
Reimport them into LR.

Best, Horea
Do you import/export from LR using plu-ins or manually?
Cheers,
Ario

horosu

RPP is free. However, for donators (10 EUR, I think), it installs a Lightroom plugin, which makes importing/exporting from LR very easy.

What sold me on RPP was its B&W conversion: it is simply phenomenal. Please try Silver Efex Pro and compare it to RPP. You will be blown away!

I have SEP, I will make a comparison.
What I don't like in RPP is that I have to make any adjustment "blind", and see the result afterwards.
Is there any other worklflow I'm missing?
Cheers,
Ario

horosu

Well, it is true that your modifications are not seen instantly.

I move the slider, and then, in order to see the changes, I apply again the original tabs: WB (Auto, Custom, etc) and then the updated image is displayed.