The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Bag for an M outfit

Don Hutton

I'm in the market for a bag for an M outfit - two bodies, about 5 lenses and some bits and pieces (film, batteries, filters) - any recommendations? I have a Billingham Hadley bag (can't remember the model) - it's small and pokey inside, large and lumpy outside and just tedious to open and close - probably the sort of thing which would work well for carrying your cucumber sandwiches at a polo game, but it sucks for cameras.... I'm looking for something well thought out and functional.

I'm sure most of you guys (and girls) own at least a dozen bags....

S

Sean_Reid

I like the A&A ImageSmith. Guy turned me on to it and I ended up reviewing it then adopting it as my main Leica bag.

Cheers,

Sean

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
I liked the Image Smith but now use a Domke J 803 and a F 803 . One bigger than the other. But this is a area that many choices are out there . The bad news is it is really hard to pick one. This to me is a life long trail and error situation.

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
I second both Guy's and Sean's advice and own all of them.
I think that I use the Domkes more when I travel and the A&A when I go about town.
-bob

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Don, get the J803, J bag, not F. Then get a 4 lens insert for an F2 (yes, insert for the F not the J). Pull the front and rear pads and trim the end pads slightly. Trust me. Here is a shot of the inside of mine (gear has changed a bit though):

BTW, here is a nifty trick for storing a pair of lenses back-to-back in one compartment:

dfarkas

Workshop Member
Don,

I use two Crumpler bags: a 5 Million Dollar Home and a 7 Million Dollar Home.

The 5 Mil is my lightweight M kit bag. It holds: 1 M8 body with 35 cron ASPH, 90 Elmarit, 50 Cron, WATE, viewfinder, SF 24D, extra batteries, card wallet, and assorted other goodies. Very small, light and discrete. So, one M body and call it 5 lenses if you can leave the flash at home.

The 7 Mil used to be my R9/DMR bag...until my DMR was stolen back in January :(. It held: R9/DMR body with 35 cron, 28 Elmarit, 60 Makro, 90 APO, 2X APO extender, 180 Elmarit APO, and Epson P-5000 (and 19 Elmarit when I was lucky) So, large camera and 6 and 1/2 lenses and backup device. Still a small bag. It was like the clowns pouring out of a VW bug. I will repurpose this bag to hold the Nikon D3 and assorted ZF glass.

My recommendation would be the size in between these, the Crumpler 6 Million Dollar Home. It should fit 2 M8s and 6 lenses comfortably and surprising lightly. I work out of these bags all the time and find them very easy to manage. At our South Beach M8 shoot last weekend, everyone showed up with either a 5 or 6 Mil bag. Once people try them out in our store, they usually end up with one or two. :D

You can check out the 6 Mil at http://www.dalephotoanddigital.com/_e/Shoulder_Bags/product/871041005695/Crumpler_6_Million_Dollar_Home_Black_Light_Gray.htm

David

TRSmith

Subscriber Member
I have a Think Tank Speed Racer that I use with the Nikon and 3 lenses. It's a bulletproof system and the shoulder harness acts in such a way that you can slide the pack from in front of you for access and lens change, or to the back easy carry. They make a wide assortment of bags, harnesses and lens quick change bags too.

My Leica system isn't large enough to merit it's own bag yet, but I like the look of Jack's setup.

One bag I bought which I do not recommend is the Moose Peterson M5. It's a great idea, but very awkward with straps that won't stay where you put them.

Greg Lockrey

I have the Domke F-6 (Little bit smaller bag). For me it's the ideal bag for the Leica M kit. :thumbup: I prefer smaller bags to begin with and would rather carry two small bags on both shoulders verses one large one.

vieri

I liked the Image Smith but now use a Domke J 803 and a F 803 . One bigger than the other. But this is a area that many choices are out there . The bad news is it is really hard to pick one. This to me is a life long trail and error situation.
Second that - I have the same two Domke bags, use the larger one all the time with 2 M bodies, 2.8/24, 1.4/50, 1.4/75, 2/90, CV 15 & a MP w/ 2/35 IV in the front pocket. Then, for lighter days, I use a ThinkThank Urban Disguise 20 for 1 M8, 24, 50, 90 or 75, 15 & 1 MP with a 2/35 IV.

H

Haya

I just ordered the A&A Image Smith bag today, If Sean & Guy both say it's good then it must be really good! :)

simonclivehughes

I've been using the Lowepro Slingshot 200 AW and it handily carries all that you describe. I wanted something that was neither a shoulder bag nor a backpack and this bag is very easy to carry and yet simple to access without taking it off.

Cheers,

quadtones

Has anybody seen the new[ish] Domke F-8 yet? It seems, from the illustration, to be a scaled-down F-3x, and on specs, at least, it isn't as deep, judging by the B&H description. I've been using an F-803, but like everyone else, I seem want to accumulate more bags looking for the perfect one.

I had a Domke "Leica" bag years ago [part of some sort of promo], that came to me in a trade. It was the length of the 803, but rounded at the bottom, so the end sections were more shallow, and had a top that fit around three sides of the bag, like on the F-3x, making it more weather-proof. I'd love to find one of those again, if anyone has one stashed somewhere that they'd like to part with.

Norm

Hank Graber

Jack's solution looks as good as any I have seen or used.

For personal shooting it's just one camera and one lens, so no bag. When I need a bag for travel or commercial work I have 3 that have survived: an old leather Prat Mariner with a Domke strap and home made inserts, a courierware messenger bag with waterproof lining - I have a pile of Domke inserts and configure it as needed and a Stormcase iM2100 -cheap, indestructable and yellow so it's easy to locate on location and the Storm case locks unlike Pelican are easy to open and close without busting a knuckle.

View attachment 3123

M

Michael Rivers

A small or medium Timbuk2 messenger bag, with a Domke or Tenba insert is also a variation on the theme. They have an inside zippered compartment for SD cards, tickets, passport, and or cables as well. Mine is Light Gray and blue and looks like a diaper bag. The strap goes over your chest so it is very stable when you travel in airports, and is secure from run-by thiefs. When I want to bring the laptop, I transfer the insert into their Laptop Commuter bag. To give and idea of the size, I have an M-Classics bag which doesn't hold as much as the small Timbuk2 bag.

Don Hutton

I've gone with Jack's suggestion as a starting point... I expect I'll accumulate a whole bunch as time goes by! (I only need to go and look in my storage room behind me to know that I have 4 full size photographic backpacks which were all purchased with some purpose at some point in time! Of course only one back to stick them on too...) Many thanks for all the helpful ideas and thoughts shared.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Don I have the exact same setup as jack with the J803 and f803 . But what i bought to add to it jack has not seen . I got a Billingham shoulder pad about thirty five dollars that really holds the strap on your shoulder better. It just snaps on. Which reminds me to get another one. LOL

Don Hutton

I've got one of those Billngham straps with shoulder pad on my Billingham bag - it's the only thing about the bag I like - I shall purloin it for the Domke!