The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

A hot pixel perhaps?

M

matmcdermott

I feel like I'm going crazy. Last night I shot a few images which on the LCD screen had a green hot pixel with a faint line which looked like a row of burnt pixels on it running vertically in the right third of the frame, all at ISO 320 & 640. You could see these with the naked eye, no magnification of the image on the LCD. Now, when I bring them into Aperture, the green pixel is either very dim or non-existant and the line isn't visible in any of them--no matter what I do with image controls to try to stress the image and at any magnification. Has anyone else experienced this?

Unless it gets worse I'm inclined to live with it and clone out the few times it's objectionable--at least until I can send in the camera to get the shutter upgrade at the same time, the camera will be within warranty until next February.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Sounds like a non-issue, possibly a defect with the rear LCD itself or more likely weirdness with the on-the-fly camera-generated review jpeg...

Don Hutton

It's a hot pixel - if you have a careful look at 100% it will be there although it's not always easy to see. You can easily use PixelFixer to map it out of your RAW files. I have one - it's easy to see on review on the LCD, but not easy to find on the original file.

M

matmcdermott

Don, thanks for the info. Unfortunately PixelFixer is only available for Windows. If it for some reason it gets worse (is that possible?) I can always run an emulator I suppose.

M

matmcdermott

OK, deep breaths here...yes, for practical purposes this is a non-issue. I just tried a couple of other raw converters that I have digitally sitting around and at least on the images I've got with it so far, the pixel and line gets mapped out all on its own.

M

matmcdermott

So, the saga continues. Wanting to examine this one a bit further, I shot a series of 10 shots of the exact same subject with the same exposure, same framing, etc. I did this after I noticed today that in three quick shots of the same subject showed differing levels of green pixel intensity: the first without anything, the second Aperture essentially mapped it out and the third where some fairly intensive retouching was required, and in multiple places. In the test only the fourth frame showed any sign of hot pixels, and in more places than the original one. Every other single frame was entirely clean; even when I tried to stress the images I saw no signs of anything abnormal. Now this is more curious to me than outright concerning.

By the way, ACR does a better job of mapping out the aberant pixels on its own than does Aperture.