The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

The X1

T

terryc

Greetings,

Has the X1 arrived in North America? I have read it has arrived in some numbers in the UK/Europe. It seems the X1 is rather elusive on this side of the Atlantic - I could speculate why that might be, but in the world of Leica speculation is all it would be. Who really knows but our dear friends in Solms.

I heard "this week", I have heard "next week" and it would seem no matter how good or not the X1 might be Leica doesn't seem in a hurry to get into the hands of end users:).

I did touch one for a brief few minutes way back on January 9th with talk of it being about a month away from distribution in North America. That remains to be seen.

Best to all. Terry.

jpmac55

First, it's puzzling how little attention the X1 gets here. Some of the other Leica forums are really buzzing now.

As for reaching the USA, who really knows but some dealers are saying next week. Most of what I read suggest very limited supplies. I'm on a X1 wait list and the shop was anticipating their first shipment to get 10 cameras now thinks 1 to 5 is more likely.

T

terryc

Thank you for the reply. Apparently it is next week or at least according to Leica NJ. It will be very interesting to see how well the X1 is received in North America. Not sure why there is so little interest on this forum, perhaps because of the large interest in m4/3 on getdpi.

Fingers crossed for next week.

Terry.

roanjoh

.......also the Samsung NX10 is stealing it's thunder....... same size sensor with interchangeable lenses..... + better LCD for chimping.

Terry

I'm on a list...also working on getting one for the Salton Sea workshop for testing out. I'm very happy with m4/3 but really love the simple interface of the M8 and this seems similar with button placement and usage. The Leica Forum is just now starting to get more active now that the first deliveries are coming through. Makes sense that it is the most active forum. Where else is it actively being discussed?

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Leica is sending us a X1 for the Salton Sea workshop. Terry wanted to get her hands on it and give a full review. So look forward in the coming weeks a X1 review by someone that I think is very qualified to give one given her ongoing love for the small format camera's and more importantly her knowledge of these systems. I for one look forward to her testing and review.

T

terryc

This is great news. I will look forward to Terry's comments and the images from the Salton Sea workshop (wish I could join you folks). That said, ALL THE BEST for a great workshop.

I chatted with my favorite local dealer and they had ordered a couple they expect to get (when they finally arrive) I asked if they had been pre-ordered by customers - to my surprise they had one available (on arrival) because they had a cancellation. Guess what happened next :)

Like Terry I like the m4/3 cameras, having handled the X1 I really agree with the sentiment on simplicity and sheer quality of the X1.

Best to all. Terry

Terry

It was pouring here yesterday afternoon and evening so I didn't get out with it. From what I can see so far things I really like are the OOF rendering and the files look very good at the highest ISO. I like the simple menus that are like the M8.

If you are used to working with the GF1 in terms of speed this is a different experience. It is slower.

I decided to switch up my Avatar for a short time....LOL

Last edited:

barjohn

Terry,

I think you need to get the Ricoh GXR A-12 and Samsung NX so you can do a proper comparison. Sean was supposed to be reviewing the GXR but he hasn't been posting in quite a while now. I hope that doesn't mean that his health hasn't improved after the surgery.

T

terryc

Start up/shut down/focus

On the wow side is the essential complete silence.
Thank you Terry. When I handled the X1 the quiet shutter release was almost deafening:).

It is becoming apparent that the GF-1 is the gold standard for speed. I think it will be for some time to come.

(As an aside, I dropped my GF-1 (with help from a rowdy crowd) and picked it up of the cement sidewalk and away I went - it is still going strong.)

Looking forward to more of your impressions.

Cheers, Terry.

Terry

Terry,

I think you need to get the Ricoh GXR A-12 and Samsung NX so you can do a proper comparison. Sean was supposed to be reviewing the GXR but he hasn't been posting in quite a while now. I hope that doesn't mean that his health hasn't improved after the surgery.
Well if you want to loan yours fine but I don't see buying one in the near future. I think Popflash may have had a loaner. I can give them a buzz. I've read bit on the Ricoh forum at DPReview. Again IQ and UI are excellent BUT camera function in serious need of improvement/firmware update....still the case? Not sure who has the NX in stock? I would love to give thr NX a try.

I traded a couple of emails with Sean the other day and he is still working and recovering from surgery. I think first up are some Canon lenses followed by the GXR.

Last edited:

barjohn

I'm glad to hear Sean is doing well and recovering. Right now the GXR is my only camera, though I may buy an NX. If I do I would be happy to lend you the GXR for a comparison test.

monza

To my knowledge we have no one on a waiting list for the X1, and we've had them on order since 9/9. I wonder how many they will ship us.