The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

The X1

Terry

Here are some more shots from the X1 I will do the write up with the shots in the review section in the next day or so....

Bottom line -
Image quality is very very good
For speed it is better used on manual focus with the distance scale but depending on what you are shooting that doesn't matter
Doesn't focus quite as close as I would like - I hit that limit a number of times
Start up is not fast/nor is reviewing images.
I popped the flash up a lot when I didn't mean to - need to get used to it
Botton placement is very good but keep eye on the dials on top deck they can be inadvertently changed.

I will put each group of shots in a separate post.

Terry

First up - just a snap of a little get together as a colleague was leaving.
ISO 1600 - no qualms whatsoever using the high ISOs
Completely untouched file in LR3 Beta.
Neither crop is in the area of best focus was just demonstrating how clean/noisy this ISO is

Terry

Next up the camera only will take a RAW + jpegs. I was shooting at the cameras normal jpeg settings and was using the lower quality jpegs. Have to say I do like the jpeg output.

RAW - with my adjustments

jpeg - with my adjustments - I like the jpeg better :p

great detail - strange this looks better on my monitor in LR and this is not downsized.

Last edited:

Terry

The shots I was trying to take when the police were having the horses "relieve" themselves.

Terry

Out to lunch with a friend
RAW and jpeg - both untouched to compare.
Notice how the jpeg handles the light from the window - it works to not blow the exposure.
Also, you can see the sharpening in the jpegs looking at the skin/eye crop.

RAW

jpeg

RAW crop

jpeg crop

Terry

Two other shots.

First up through a window out to the patio

Another window - with reflections but I liked the window display...

bradhusick

Terry, those JPEGs are impressive, but given all the quirks, I think Leica has a few iterations to do before I am ready to lay out $2K+ on this. I am waiting with interest for a replacement to the D-Lux4 if there is one.

Terry

Terry, those JPEGs are impressive, but given all the quirks, I think Leica has a few iterations to do before I am ready to lay out $2K+ on this. I am waiting with interest for a replacement to the D-Lux4 if there is one.
Brad the image quality is really quite nice.
Funny I felt the difference between 35mm and 40mm of the GF1. 35mm was feeling wide for a single focal length for me.
If the camera had a zoom it would be great for me.
I did hear that firmware is being worked on. I have no doubt that they will continue to improve it.

jpmac55

Thanks, Terry.

I pulled the trigger on a X1 and am also quite impressed. Couple of kinks but nothing bad enough to wish I waited. I don't recall reading about any X1 owners that are sorry they bought it.

Certainly the next generation anything improves on its previous model but that's the classic technology dilemma. Two grand is a lot of money although the X1 is less than most Leica lens.

Terry

I came back from Salton Sea with not enough pictures and a ton of stuff at my day job - the one that allows me to dabble in cameras.

Essentially my take isn't any different that what has been said.
Image quality - excellent all the way through the ISO range
AF - slow but very useable
Close focus not quite close enough for my taste
Shutter lag with AF - a little bit long for my liking (after AF before shutter release)
Size and User Interface - love it
Start up/Shut down - slower than I would like
Lens - For a single focal length I prefer 40mm FOV.

I did not have enough time to use it with the OVF and on Manual Focus for a street camera but can be pretty promising.

Any specific questions???

barjohn

Taking everything into consideration how would you compare it to your m43 camera(s)? Is there a particular reason you did not get enough pictures with it at the Salton Sea workshop? Finally are you ready to abandon your m43 for an X1? If not why not?

Terry

Taking everything into consideration how would you compare it to your m43 camera(s)? Is there a particular reason you did not get enough pictures with it at the Salton Sea workshop? Finally are you ready to abandon your m43 for an X1? If not why not?
I didn't get enough X1 pictures at the Salton Sea workshop because I was shooting with the S2 much of the time.

I was never considering abandoning my m4/3 for the X1. I use m4/3 as my everyday gear. While I do carry the GF1 with the 20mm much of the time, I am not ready to go with the Sony A900 and X1 combo for my gear. So, for me, I need the additional lenses that go with the m4/3 system.

The X1 trial was really to see if I wanted to add on a single focal length small camera with an interface that I liked from the M8. Once I started using the S2 and a dslr form factor for medium format I started to rethink my overall camera gear. If I'm even considering MF spending $2K on the X1 does not make any immediate sense. The S2 is a very expensive system so I wanted to make the most of the opportunity to shoot with it before rethinking my gear.

barjohn

If you are looking at MF, what are your thoughts on the new Pentax 645? While it is initially only being marketed in Japan there are already companies looking to offer it in the US and other countries. Certainly priced attractively with a wide range of lenses available.

ustein

Contributing Editor
The fixed lens and the Sloooooow operation convinced me to pursue it no further. I have a short attention span.:ROTFL:
OTOH, by contrast the GF1 is a blast.
-bob
That was my impression too. I shoot bracketed all the time. The X1 will display a nice message to wait. Then looking at the images is slow too. Yes the image quality is there. Only one focal length and the slowness were not made for me.

Terry

If you are looking at MF, what are your thoughts on the new Pentax 645? While it is initially only being marketed in Japan there are already companies looking to offer it in the US and other countries. Certainly priced attractively with a wide range of lenses available.
I've posted extensively on this thread

http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/showthread.php?t=14201

Actually, there aren't a lot of the FA lenses available in the US.

ptomsu

Workshop Member
I didn't get enough X1 pictures at the Salton Sea workshop because I was shooting with the S2 much of the time.

I was never considering abandoning my m4/3 for the X1. I use m4/3 as my everyday gear. While I do carry the GF1 with the 20mm much of the time, I am not ready to go with the Sony A900 and X1 combo for my gear. So, for me, I need the additional lenses that go with the m4/3 system.

The X1 trial was really to see if I wanted to add on a single focal length small camera with an interface that I liked from the M8. Once I started using the S2 and a dslr form factor for medium format I started to rethink my overall camera gear. If I'm even considering MF spending $2K on the X1 does not make any immediate sense. The S2 is a very expensive system so I wanted to make the most of the opportunity to shoot with it before rethinking my gear.
Terry,

must say I was not following any of the Pentax or X1 threads very much lately, but reading your thoughts about the X1, A900, m43 and S2 is interesting and reflects a lot of my thoughts and findings.

Owning now the H3D39 and some lenses I must say this is a really great MF system, although as we all know not comparable WRT form factor to the S system, but much cheaper. Now if I would need to choose a compact MF system I would most probably go with the S2, main reason for my Hasselblad choice was the price and the lack of WA lenses for the S.

WRT m43 - I own and love this system (EP2 with 17 and 14-45) and I was only using this system since I bought it and no longer the A900. Does not mean that the Sony was bad by any means, but just too big and heavy compared to m43 and quality - well if you really need high quality then nothing will top MF. So I sold the A900 and as I am looking especially for a good DSLR for wildlife I am back into a D700 and some of the latest Nikon glass. Will also add the 200-400VR but that is another ball game - yes this lens is big and heavy but versatile for wildlife. If only there would be some real great tele zooms for the S system then this would be the system of choice, but I think we need to wait for many more years before we will see this - so meantime for wildlife I will use Nikon.

The X1 or any other of these like DP2s etc - very nice gear and there is always the "want to have" thinking - but as you say as soon as you have m43 this system is much more flexible and very good in quality so why really invest in any of these cameras. But I must say I would really love to try the DP2s as I see it generates superb results. But knowing me, I most probably would sell it pretty soon again, as I would miss the versatility of m43.

WRT S2 - do yourself a favor and go for it :) Maybe wait another few months to see which lenses are following on the path which you might want to get. Maybe once the lens lineup gets more complete I will reconsider it instead of my H3D39. It is for sure a great system, the focal lengths you are using (as I can recall) most times seem to be well covered and no DSLR will top the IQ of the S2 or come even close. If you are not in a type of photography where you demand extreme tele and fast AF then there is nothing topping the S system.