The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Cherry Blossoms

cmb_

Subscriber & Workshop Member
The cherry trees are beginning to blossom so I went to the Brooklyn Botanic Garden today to see the progress - still early but there were a few in bloom as well as some magnolias. Here are a few shots with the M8 just quickly processed. First one with the 35/2, the rest with the 50/1.5.

H

Haya

All the pictures are so pretty!

My favorite is the first image.

cmb_

Haya, Cindy, Mike - Thanks for looking. It was a pretty day here yesterday.

Guy - that last one I want to spend some more time processing. Getting the balance between the foreground/background will be a little tricky and I am sure some subtle tweeks here and there can really make the magic shine in this image. Not easy though because there are many ways to go and they all look good. Also, the camera seems to be well trained!

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Charlie: Too bad you can't get anything good with that 60 year old lens. I'll be happy to take it off your hands so you can get a good one :ROTFL:

Seriously, LOVE that last shot! (And FWIW, looks perfect to me as-is ;) )

Jack

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
I agree with Jack . I like that the background is dark but just enough detail in it. Leave it alone

Take that back burn in the top corners a little

cmb_

Jack, I shot a bunch with the Cron yesterday as well and it was fantastic. No need to go into the merits of this version of the Cron because it is well documented.

I shot the 50 Summarit with no hood, bright sun and it wasn't a mess. I guess the clean front element and no haze inside is the ticket. Also, I really like the color from this lens. I had anticipated I would use it a lot for black and white but the color rendition is superb I think. Best I can do is leave it in the will for you Jack so it looks like you daughter will be inheriting a 90yr old Summarit.

jonoslack

HI Charlie
I'd say there was something seriously wrong with your camera body. Did you buy it new? If so, I'd send it back straight away. If you bought it secondhand, I'd be getting in touch with my lawyer.
:ROTFL::ROTFL:
These are lovely, especially the first and last - we're teetering on the brink here in england, but we'll have to wait a couple of weeks for the best of it.

ChrisDauer

Workshop Member
Another vote on the magic of the last one. I saw them come in on "What's New" but it's great to see them all posted here in a thread :)

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator
Charlie,
I have a 50 f/1.5 summarit, but mine has such a bad coating that everything looks "misty". I have been planning to send it off for a re-coating (I think I have to send it to Russia). What shape is the coating on yours? I understand that they all had a soft coating, but maybe yours has been re-coated or was it just well cared for?

cmb_

Jono - I think you are right the camera acts strange. I point it at something and it's as if the camera says, "Hey Dummy, look the other way, the shots over there." I think Helen called it right because it seems to have some serious "Mojo Magic" going on. How can I go wrong - camera from Guy, lens from Jack, profiles from Jamie, and the wisdom and support of the whole GetDPI community. :thumbs:

Terry - You are too sharp, it's already printed!

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Charlie's 50 Summarit is the single best copy I've ever seen anywhere, and I've been looking at them for 15 years. Serious. It looks like it came out of the box for the first time last month.

cmb_

Charlie,
I have a 50 f/1.5 summarit, but mine has such a bad coating that everything looks "misty". I have been planning to send it off for a re-coating (I think I have to send it to Russia). What shape is the coating on yours? I understand that they all had a soft coating, but maybe yours has been re-coated or was it just well cared for?
Cindy - mine is in great shape. I cannot tell if there was any work done on it but the front element is clear, no cleaning marks and there is no haze inside. If it was well cared for or if it was redone I do not know. From the reading I have done my understanding is that if the coating gets scratched or there is any haze inside the image is as you described. I was very lucky. BTW, I got it from Sean at Camera West and he was fantastic. Mine is an M mount.

cmb_

Charlie's 50 Summarit is the single best copy I've ever seen anywhere, and I've been looking at them for 15 years. Serious. It looks like it came out of the box for the first time last month.
Geez now I'm getting paranoid to use it. I'll have to start looking for a back-up copy. LOL