The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Need a Back up Camera for a M8 using Leica Lens

Scargos2

I am going to Vietnam,Cambodia,Laos and Thailand in November.
Is there a less expensive camera than a Leica M8 that you can use the M mount lens on. On a trip this long, a camera failure would not be good.

roanjoh

I am going to Vietnam,Cambodia,Laos and Thailand in November.
Is there a less expensive camera than a Leica M8 that you can use the M mount lens on. On a trip this long, a camera failure would not be good.
GF1 with the adaptor would be my first choice. Or an RD1 if you want a full rangefinder experience. Or you can shoot film :)

cap'n bill

Panasonic G1 or GF1 is good if you can live with the x2 crop factor. In fact the GF1 with Panasonic 20mm f1.7 lens would be my choice as it is a nice inconspicuous setup which can still use your Lieca glass. You can probably buy it at a good rate in HK if you stop over there.

Otherwise the film option sounds nice.

leif e

If you want digital, I´d opt for the Epson RD1 rangefinder as well. It´s a great camera (sort of digi version of the Bessa Rs), 6MPs
le

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Another recommendation for the excellent R-D1. Such a good camera ... and in some ways I still think it's got better ergonomics than either the M8 or M9. Thinking about it now, I miss mine.

The only real downside is the 2x crop factor and the vignette correction that you'll need.

The other choice of course is a film M or perhaps a Bessa.

Hi Graham- Correction, (of a probable typo), it's a 1.5X crop
To the OP, as Jaap said, consider an M film body for backup. best...Peter

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
My bad - yes 1.5x ... it's been a long while since I had my R-D1 and confused it with the m4/3rds crop.