The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

You're going the wrong way!!

Lloyd

Lloyd.. wise as always.

The more I think about it, the more I'm leaning towards the M8 for now, which I'm sure will lead to the M9, which will lead to ramen for dinner more often.

The M6 film is just straight pure unadulterated lust. I will have one, or an MP. It's a matter of when, not if.
Good luck with that... I know I'm looking forward to seeing what you get, and what you get with it. :thumbup:

And I know about the MP lust... I've been severely afflicted for some time. Every time I bring it up, however, my wife just points to the cabinet with the other film Leicas, and says something like, "Yeah, there's room for it right there behind the IIIc with the half shot roll in it, isn't there?", so I'm still lusting. :rolleyes:

Thought I would revisit this thread with some more points of interest.

My dad gave me his old Mamiya stuff, so I've been shooting a bunch of MF film and loving it.

My heart still lusts after an M6. My head says try an M8... if I like... upgrade to M9 and just stick to shooting MF film while shooting my Nikon stuff for work. Ugh.

So these 8 months later, is the M8 a good intro to rangefinder type of thing? The way I'm looking at it now, is that the M8 shoots in film ISO ranges without having to develop it. I'll have a quick feedback this this type of shooting is for me. So I'm thinking an M8 (or M8.2?) and a 35 cron to give her a go??

Whatchya think?

Lloyd

I think it's a good way to start. I still use an M8 (had an M9, and will get one again eventually), I also shoot an M6, but far less than the M8. 35 Cron a great lens. The M8 is a really great camera, and I'd be surprised if you aren't impressed. Good luck.

01af

When you don't have a wet darkroom (and don't plan to build one anytime soon) then shooting film is entirely pointless. Just as pointless as shooting digital when you don't have a computer.

Sure, for developing film you don't need a wet darkroom; hiding in a closet or under a thick blanket in a dark room at night and then a regular kitchen or bathroom will do. But for printmaking you'll need a wet darkroom. Shooting film and then scanning it is just a waste of time, effort, and money—after all, you'd just end up with a digital image out of the scanner which is worse than what you'd get from a good digital camera. Been there, done that. Shooting film makes sense only when you're making your own prints.

Negative film, that is ... after all, you mentioned Tri-X. The exception to this rule is shooting transparency film and then presenting the results with a traditional projector on a silver screen. This involves neither a wet darkroom nor any scanning, and will yield superior results. If that's what you plan to do then go ahead! But you won't get your work online or into the computer this way.

If you plan to scan your film (or have it scanned) on a regular basis then better forget it.

monza

Interesting point of view. :)

It's far from pointless for me, for many reasons.

Just to list one: medium format film cameras are so cheap now, it is economical to shoot film and scan. Whereas it doesn't make sense for me to tie up a large amount of cash in medium format digital.

01af

Medium-format film cameras are so cheap now, it is economical to shoot film and scan.
If you're looking at it from a purely financial point of view then maybe you're right, at least for some photographic fields ... and if you don't shoot too much—otherwise film and processing costs will add up quickly, eventually negating your savings on the hardware.

However if your economy includes time and effort then I think you are wrong. Anyway, my life is too short to waste a significant part of it scanning film. Occasionally, yes. But on a regular basis, heck no! If your favourite leisure-time pursuit is shooting and developing and scanning film then more power to you! But don't bring forward economical reasoning.

monza

Well, I can shoot a lot of film for the price difference, so the economics are valid. It also means I pay a bit as I go, instead of tying up tons of cash. The scanning time is irrelevant...I drop off the film, I get a CD back. Not to mention, there is little if any post processing; don't discount that factor when shooting digital. If one likes the look of film, it really is a lot easier just to shoot it to begin with.

TRSmith

Subscriber Member
Lots of valid opinions here. I find myself agreeing with most of them, even when they contradict one another.

For me, the lure of film is completely centered around the silver print. I miss those prints. I lust for them. But I will never build a print darkroom and the nearest available rental darkroom space is a two hour drive away. Can you get interesting results from medium format film that's been scanned? Absolutely! But do those results provide a substitute for my silver-paper darkroom dreams? No. It saddens me to say it, but my beautiful Rollieflex will remain a shelf queen forever more.

Tim

wjlapier

...I drop off the film, I get a CD back.
Like at the next counter? ;)

Film for me most of the time. I get lazy when I use my D700, or the mFT stuff.

Get a M3, a meter and a nice 50 like the DR cron. Develop your own and scan what you like.

D&A

Tim said >>>"For me, the lure of film is completely centered around the silver print. I miss those prints. I lust for them. But I will never build a print darkroom and the nearest available rental darkroom space is a two hour drive away. Can you get interesting results from medium format film that's been scanned? Absolutely! But do those results provide a substitute for my silver-paper darkroom dreams? No"<<<

Just my personal opinion:

I agree with Tim's statement (above). Having started with film and fine art and reportage photography many years ago, the finished product "the print" was the cullmination of the effort, from taking the shot, developing the film, culling through negatives, to creating the final "silver" print. That print was not just an image but the cumulation of all that went into creating the image, such as choice of film and developer, developing times, choice of paper and chemicals and of course selction of enlarging lens. Each step is like ingrediants in a food receipe....leave one out or change it and things change. Same thing with eliminating steps (and taking shortcuts), the final product often looks similar, but doesn't taste the same (or in the case of the image, doesn't look the same or evoke the same emotions). I used to cut out the the wet darkroom part and simply get film developed locally and then scan it myself and print on high end inkjet (which has come a long way). Is it nice, yes, is it the same (product wise) as the entire wet darkroom process described, no in my opinion.

Eventually though time constraints and expectations of others (especially clients) for the having the final product delivered quickly and in large number (of images), dictated a move to digital very early on, and as much as I'd occcasionally take a roll of film, it's been hard to go back....but boy do I miss it and have been tempted time and again to have a go at another round :)

Dave (D&A)

Last edited: