The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Zeiss 18mm F4 ZM

S

Sean_Reid

Great Sean. It looks pretty good my friend. Look forward to your testing and review. So far i really like what i am seeing but warning it is sharp watch any sharpening you don't want to go overboard. Okay back to this project for me.
Yes, I agree...on center, at least. I published the review last week but the two sections to be added deal with "hand-coding" results (using John's adapter) and general illustrations.

Cheers,

Sean

Attachments

S

Sean_Reid

Just finished the coding. The M8 detects it as a WATE with no problem and focus (with the bayonet change) seems just fine.

Cheers,

Sean

S

Sean_Reid

Just ordered the 55 filter from Tony Rose. Should be able to test tomorrow night.

Cheers,

Sean

jlm

Workshop Member
heh, heh...you are probably thinking of the Moebius strip, where you form a loop with one twist: it only has one surface, as the inside transitions to the outside, and one edge. that would have been too normal for this job

this bugger has two twists, so it still has two surfaces and two edges

we have come up with a quite a few names for it, as you might imagine

apsheng

Hi Sean:

Do you happen to have a B+W 58mm IR filter to test as well? If not, I can loan you mine if you would like to include in the test. I bought one along with the lens and wonder if there will be difference?

Alan

S

Sean_Reid

Hi Sean:

Do you happen to have a B+W 58mm IR filter to test as well? If not, I can loan you mine if you would like to include in the test. I bought one along with the lens and wonder if there will be difference?

Alan

No, I have only the 55 Leica and 55 486. If you can spare your 58 for a bit and would like me to test it, I'd be happy to. It should be much the same as the 55.

Cheers,

Sean

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Check this out . Look how the it handled the highlights off the car , Really nice and not ugly and just a goof off shot but looks very good with not any excess drift

Guy Mancuso

Hi guys in Flagstaff with iffy internet but shot these 18mm shot but my coding isn't being recognized. Need to check this but tis lens is sharp

Guy Mancuso

I figured out what the coding issue was as Alan sent me a note since he just got his back was to make sure I completely engaged the lens when mounting, give it just a little extra push. Which I did not do here but tried it today and it was working fine . But look at the detail and pretty good distortion here. I'm really liking this lens

Guy Mancuso

Just posted this on the LUF also but once you are engaged okay than no issues . I may have not done that on the previous shots so the code never happened but John is looking into it just to be sure

apsheng

I found that if I just give the lens a hard twist so that it is hard against the stop, the M8 will recognise the code. However, it will soon lose the code presumably when the lens "loosens" up and is no longer hard against the stop. Another hard twist will get the camera to recognise it again.

I can keep it from losing recognition by depressing the lens release button and over-rotating a very small amount.

Alan

Guy Mancuso

Just adding some shots to show the size of the 18mm against a leica 21 asph and a CV 12. Not as bad as i might have said it being big , the hood makes it huge and is worthless

K

KJB

Would love to see more pics from this lens. Replacing the WATE and 21 asph with a much more economical 18ZM would leave me enough for a new Nikon D3 :eek: though it would bring me to tears if I were ever to do so :scry:

Guy Mancuso

I will see what I can do , have a commercial shoot today than leave for LA for another 9 day gig. Maybe i can get some 18mm shots in.