Site Sponsors

Thread: Zeiss 18mm F4 ZM

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Zeiss 18mm F4 ZM

Just received this lens from Hong Kong the Zeiss 18mm F4 ZM. I tried Alans at the workshop in Yosemite and really wanted to try it for awhile so i bought one. Big surprise. LOL

But it is very sharp and maybe a better choice than the CV 15mm even though it is longer a step back or two would equal it. Now i tried it with a 58mm to 55mm step down and a Leica filter . It does NOT vignette from the filters but it does vignette a little so with the filter on and off it looks like maybe using the WATE code at 18mm maybe a good idea. So may have to send this to John Milich for a mount and code it for the WATE for me. Anyway it is very very sharp and may replace the CV 15mm but the bokeh on it is no match for the Leica 21mm which i find a extremely great focal length and excellent lens. so not a replacement for that per say and it does work out to be a 24mm on the M8 which is a nice focal length. i will update more with more time with it. Thanks Guy

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    No surprise!! LOL

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Post some pictures! LOL
    Jack
    home: www.getdpi.com

"Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence."

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Fix the dang thing first. ROTFLMAO

Just kidding we are a couple days for a cool photo module to be installed so it will make the site very photographic looking

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Update on my 18mm it is in Ny with John Milich getting a new mount and coding for the WATE , looking forward to it's return
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: Zeiss 18mm F4 ZM

No word from John yet but i think Sean does have a report up on his site now on the performance part of the Zeiss. May want to check that out

www.reidreviews.com

I think John is out shooting the damn thing to be honest
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

Sean_Reid

Excellent lens - really a stunner on center. I'm also waiting for a JM mount for the 18 so I can test how it does coded as a WATE.

Congratulations on the new forum.

Cheers,

Sean

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thanks Sean glad to have to have you here . Looking forward to playing with the lens more.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

John just e-mailed me and my Zeiss 18mm is sporting a new lens mount and the coding recess. Should get it Monday and also he joined our forum too.

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Guy:
    your lens will arrive Monday, I coded it and it works as the 18mm version of the Wate.

took one pic, was in a hurry, no tripod, fluorescent/daylight mix, 1/12 sec leaning against a post.

more of the wacky ribbon project

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

It looks very nice, thanks for filling in the Wate code. Can't wait to give this lens a go. Thanks again my friend, someday you will have to get us a link so folks can contact you. Jack and I are putting a link list of our favorite shopping spots. LOL

Loooooooooooooooong List

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Okay the lens is in my hands . Here is the setup Zeiss 18mm a 58 to 55 mm step down ring fitted with a Leica 55mm IR filter. Okay when mounted I get the Wate code and menu option since the default is 18mm it shows up as 18mm so i don't have to do anything just go. I like this idea

Very quickly it seems to be working without any cyan casts. it does vignet a little and you will see that with a white card but i view this as pretty normal with a wide but more testing will have to be done. Okay pardon the images they are tests and done very quickly , still on big project but wanted to get this out.

Couple quickies of the front of the house , look at the concrete no cyan cast

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Okay the white and the vignetting is almost the same at all apertures. Now I tried this without the filters when I first got the lens and seems the same but I don't view this as bad but more normal with extreme wides. Also this lens is extremely sharp the 15mm I think i am going to sell. this will certainly kick it's butt in that area. As you can see a screw is in the code so John painted white over that but the WATE code is only one dot so it works out just fine. This is a completely new mount that John did

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I will do some more testing as time goes . Now Sean also got his today also so i am sure he will be running tests also and reporting.

His site is www.reidreviews.com

We are the only two that have this mount at the moment so you heard it here first.

So all those non registered viewers i see looking in all day long , time to register

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

glad it worked out, Guy; you are the cutting edge, as always.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

BTW John Milich did all the milling on this and his e-mail address is [email protected]

John is a great guy to deal with.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by jlm View Post
    glad it worked out, Guy; you are the cutting edge, as always.
    Thanks John excellent work here. You really fill in the niche to the M8 system

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Went back in and WB one of them and properly processed it with some fill and highlight control and it looks very nice. Zeiss tends to have a little more contrast than the Leica in general

Sean_Reid

Thanks to acetone, I was just now able to get the screws free on the Zeiss 18 so that I could mount the new bayonet. I'll code it and then I need to get my hands on a 55 mm Leica filter for chart tests.

John's adapter doesn't have the inner flange of the Zeiss bayonet but it mounted up easily. I'll test focus but my bet is that it is unchanged. Naturally, RR cannot recommend this procedure, etc.

Cheers,

Sean

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Great Sean. It looks pretty good my friend. Look forward to your testing and review. So far i really like what i am seeing but warning it is sharp watch any sharpening you don't want to go overboard. Okay back to this project for me.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Mancuso View Post
    Zeiss tends to have a little more contrast than the Leica in general
    I think it has too much contras and you miss a lot of the mid tones and shadows.

Sean_Reid

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Mancuso View Post
    Great Sean. It looks pretty good my friend. Look forward to your testing and review. So far i really like what i am seeing but warning it is sharp watch any sharpening you don't want to go overboard. Okay back to this project for me.
    Yes, I agree...on center, at least. I published the review last week but the two sections to be added deal with "hand-coding" results (using John's adapter) and general illustrations.

Cheers,

Sean

Sean_Reid

Just finished the coding. The M8 detects it as a WATE with no problem and focus (with the bayonet change) seems just fine.

Cheers,

Sean

Sean_Reid

Just ordered the 55 filter from Tony Rose. Should be able to test tomorrow night.

Cheers,

Sean

Shootist

Quote Originally Posted by jlm View Post
    more of the wacky ribbon project
    John what is the name of that curve/shape.

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

heh, heh...you are probably thinking of the Moebius strip, where you form a loop with one twist: it only has one surface, as the inside transitions to the outside, and one edge. that would have been too normal for this job

this bugger has two twists, so it still has two surfaces and two edges

we have come up with a quite a few names for it, as you might imagine

Shootist

Yup that's what I was thinking. Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Sean:

Do you happen to have a B+W 58mm IR filter to test as well? If not, I can loan you mine if you would like to include in the test. I bought one along with the lens and wonder if there will be difference?

Alan

Senior Subscriber Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Any thoughts on how it compares to the Elmarit 21 or Elmarit 21 ASPH?

Sean_Reid

Quote Originally Posted by apsheng View Post
    Hi Sean:

Do you happen to have a B+W 58mm IR filter to test as well? If not, I can loan you mine if you would like to include in the test. I bought one along with the lens and wonder if there will be difference?

Alan

No, I have only the 55 Leica and 55 486. If you can spare your 58 for a bit and would like me to test it, I'd be happy to. It should be much the same as the 55.

Cheers,

Sean

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Check this out . Look how the it handled the highlights off the car , Really nice and not ugly and just a goof off shot but looks very good with not any excess drift

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hi guys in Flagstaff with iffy internet but shot these 18mm shot but my coding isn't being recognized. Need to check this but tis lens is sharp

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I figured out what the coding issue was as Alan sent me a note since he just got his back was to make sure I completely engaged the lens when mounting, give it just a little extra push. Which I did not do here but tried it today and it was working fine . But look at the detail and pretty good distortion here. I'm really liking this lens

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Just posted this on the LUF also but once you are engaged okay than no issues . I may have not done that on the previous shots so the code never happened but John is looking into it just to be sure

Post Thanks / Like

I found that if I just give the lens a hard twist so that it is hard against the stop, the M8 will recognise the code. However, it will soon lose the code presumably when the lens "loosens" up and is no longer hard against the stop. Another hard twist will get the camera to recognise it again.

I can keep it from losing recognition by depressing the lens release button and over-rotating a very small amount.

Alan

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

18mm (no filter)

both taken at f8

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Just adding some shots to show the size of the 18mm against a leica 21 asph and a CV 12. Not as bad as i might have said it being big , the hood makes it huge and is worthless

KJB

Would love to see more pics from this lens. Replacing the WATE and 21 asph with a much more economical 18ZM would leave me enough for a new Nikon D3 though it would bring me to tears if I were ever to do so

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I will see what I can do , have a commercial shoot today than leave for LA for another 9 day gig. Maybe i can get some 18mm shots in.