The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Lee Filters for Rangefinders

neelin

What do you think, looks promising or just another gimmick?

I have the Cokin "A" series that I originally bought for my Canon G6 [with circular polarizer and a neutral graduated filter (to knock down sky intensity-kind of like "CSI Miami" has a semi-permanent orange grad filter on their exterior shots, sheesh]). It works on the M8. Do I use it?

No. Why?

1. There are far easier/cheaper ways to have a big camera (buy a DSLR), it really crimps the "keep it small" style.
2. I like to travel light, and being a former motorcycle tourer (not on one of those big Honda Winnebago's) I pack ruthlessly light. The kit NEVER makes the cut.
3. The economy of one filter for each purpose/kit is appealing, as opposed to one filter per purpose/filter ring size. Wait a minute, slap me now, I paid over CAN$5k for my Leica.
4. Just get the circular polarizer for a wide angle lens, and forget about it for the 75mm f/1.4 beheamoth. An ND filter for a 75mm lens is relatively cheap (compared to a cir. pol.), and that I would find more useful on a lens I wanted more bokeh outside in the sun.

Why did I buy it, in retrospect?

1. No other easy practical way to do grad filters on a range-finder (position & chimp).
2. G.A.S.

Would I do it again, No. Your mileage may vary.
I believe Lee filters are higher on the "pecking order" of filters than Cokin, others here could confirm/refute it. I think they market primarily to larger formats & broadcast as why the name isn't more common around 35mm users.

cheers, robert