The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Leica M9 Firmware 1.116 available

John Black

Installed the new firmware and only had a couple minutes to check things out. All seems okay. Some quick comments -

- Image review / zooming is definitely faster
- High ISO LCD image is MUCH improved
- Formatting a SDHC card only took ~5 seconds

One thing to note, the auto shut off is defaulted to 5 minutes, so change that back to 1 minute to improve battery life.

glenerrolrd

Workshop Member
Tom Thanks for the link .

Will be interesting to see how this does with the RED corner on my zeiss 18 and 21.

Also looking for ability to "use" the faster cards at better effective speeds.

D&A

Roger,

Depending what mount your Zeiss 18mm has (and the framelines it brings up), it normally will be coded as either a WATE or Leica SE18mm. If I had to guess at this point, I don't believe Leica made any firware changes to how WATE images are processed, so if yours is coded as a WATE (like mine is)...then I suspect no changes to red edge problem. If yours is coded as a Lecia SE18mm...then that is one of the lenses Leica has apparently addressed regarding red edge...so I suspose your Zeiss 18mm would also be improved (if coded as a Leica 18mm) in regards to red edge. Guess we'll see how it turns out.

Dave (D&A)

glenerrolrd

Workshop Member
Thanks Dave . I have too much to test with the M9 but the 18 will be soon. The ZM18 was a super lens on the M8 and my only complaint was its too slow F4 for night shooting without a tripod.

Agree on the coding ..it needs to be using the SE18 code . Do you know the code ? I will find it over on the LUF but its one thats not in the menu if I remember so you can try a few and pick the best.

glenerrolrd

Workshop Member
Anyone see any new information on card speed improvements. The issue was simple the Sandisk Ultra 16gb (15mb) was as fast as the San Disk Extreme 16gb (30mb). Both are acceptable but I need some additional 16gb cards .

D&A

Hi Roger,

The code for the Leica SE18mm is 110100 . As you probably already know, you can only code your Zeiss 18mm if it's lens mount brings up the 50/75 frame lines (the ones that most stock Zeiss 18mm come with). Some Zeiss 18mm's came with the 28/90 lens mount (special from Pop Flash) so they could be coded as a WATE (18mm), which worked superbly with the M8.

I'm not sure yet it anyone has definitely has shown that by being able to use faster SD cards now in the M9, as to whether read/write speeds of these faster cards are now taken advantage of with the new M9 firmware...or simply that the camera is compatable with a wider variety of SD cards. THey are two somewhat different parameters.

Dave (D&A)

Don Libby

I’ve been busy the past couple days and while watching the notices of the update I figured I’d wait a couple days also figuring the lines of folks trying to get the file would be less. I woke up this morning to find an e-mail from Leica addressing the update so figured what the heck – something to do while having my first cup of coffee. Following the instructions I downloaded the zip and open the file before transferring it to the card. I made sure I had a freshly formatted card so did so (took approximately 30 seconds). I copied the file to the card inserted it and turned the camera on and sat back watching the camera do its thing after it asked me if I wanted to upgrade (and I answered yes). It felt slow while the camera read the new file and I found myself holding my breath hoping I hadn’t somehow screwed things up (I’ve done that before :rolleyes:) however it finished giving me the message the update was complete and that I should turn off the camera. I reformatted the card afterwards taking all of 4-5 seconds.

I’m taking the day off from processing images to go out and see what else the new firmware offers.

Very pleased so far!

Don

DaveS

Did the upgrade last night too. The faster format is great, but I really like the fast zoom in when reviewing the picture, it is virtually immediate.

I also shot some ISO 2500 (color) after the upgrade, and it seems to look better, less noise, less color blotching but I am probably imagining it.

If anyone has not yet upgraded, may I suggest you do a high iso shot immediate before and after to compare the same picture, same location, same lighting etc?

Overall, like it a lot.

Dave S

Don Libby

If anyone has not yet upgraded, may I suggest you do a high iso shot immediate before and after to compare the same picture, same location, same lighting etc?

Overall, like it a lot.

Dave S
Great idea sorry I didn't think of it or actually do it :salute:

docmoore

Subscriber and Workshop Member
Did the upgrade last night too. The faster format is great, but I really like the fast zoom in when reviewing the picture, it is virtually immediate.

I also shot some ISO 2500 (color) after the upgrade, and it seems to look better, less noise, less color blotching but I am probably imagining it.

Overall, like it a lot.

Dave S
Might try profiling both captures with Noise Ninja...may get an objective set of numerical data points to compare with regards to luminosity/color noise.

Bob

d_brown

Hello All,

Has anyone else noticed an undesirable change in the display on the LCD? My camera's display was so fuzzy after the update that I thought I was OOF. Couldn't believe it was THAT bad. I had sense enough to download the old firmware before updating, so I reloaded the old. and everything is back to normal.

Dale

ptomsu

Workshop Member
This update shows me that I was lucky not to get an M9 so far. I had not expected so many flaws.

Maybe in a year from now the M9 will be mature enough in terms of FW?

jaapv

Subscriber Member
Hello All,

Has anyone else noticed an undesirable change in the display on the LCD? My camera's display was so fuzzy after the update that I thought I was OOF. Couldn't believe it was THAT bad. I had sense enough to download the old firmware before updating, so I reloaded the old. and everything is back to normal.

Dale
You only needed to reset to factory default to clear that; there have been some reports. Most cameras have not shown this glitch.

My LCD image views definitely improved after the upgrade without resetting my menu settings. Must be an occasional glitch....Peter