The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Share your bags!!

roanjoh

In the market for a bag for my Leica M and maybe 2/3 lenses. Would anybody care to share pictures and recommendations??!!

Thanks!!

Don Libby

I had an old Domke F-6 that was laying around that I used for the trip to Carmel and later Yosemite. The M9 and 35, 50 and 90 lens fit with room to spare as well as the spare battery. I got home and brought the Domke F-6 Little Bit Smaller Ruggedwear Bag which is the same bag just slightly more weather proof. Sorry no images however there's plenty of them on Amazon or B&H.

Don

glenerrolrd

Workshop Member
First I would refer you to several long threads on bags for Leica Ms. One here just recently and several over at the Leica User Forum. Try a search on Leica Bag .

Points of view seem to center around two key decisions. How nice can the bag look and how big does it have to be.

SIZE....most M shooters prefer a Satchel Style that will hang close to the body. These are typically 12-14" wide,8-10" tall and 4-6" wide. The narrow width is possible because of the M body size . You can go smaller but then you lose some flexibility to carry more than the camera etc. One key consideration is would you ever want to carry a small laptop? A 14" bag will handle a MacBook Pro...this can be quite useful when traveling .

NICE LOOKING..in the eye of the beholder . You will get some that feel the worse looking the bag the safer the contents. Others want there prize possession to ride in style and will go with a custom leather/canvas etc.

The tops bags in order of discussion .

1. Billingham Hadley .....comes in 3 sizes and various combinations of leather,canvas and nylon. Available in tan,sage or black. These are beautiful bags. The trend is to go with the black leather/black canvas or nylon to show some restraint.

2. Artisan and Artist ....comes in a variety of satchels canvas,leather combinations . The ACAM series is mostly canvas. The GCAM series is leather and canvas. They are all black but sport red nylon padded interiors.

3.Domke .....Jack had a set up with the J-803 satchel and an F2 padded divider that is just about perfect. Photo is available in a post by him about "posting photos" . More room than you need for one body. The smaller version is the F series satchels. Nylon or canvas. This is a real working bag set up and the best value . The bag is about $125. This is what I use when I don t want to be noticed .

4. Fogg ...the High Street model...custom made in France . Most expensive and they look it. The Luigi case of bags. A little boxier in shape (wider) and with a certain structure to the partitions. Some would say you should be wearing a sport coat to use one.

5. Any other Satchel with Domke or Billingham inserts .

Most bag mfg have satchel style bags that could work. Think Tank makes great stuff but their center is on Pro DSLR requirements.

If you look at the websites of the top 4 and focus on the size ..you will see the slight differences. If you want room for a MacBook You need a Billingham Large (some Pros work as well with stretching). My new GCAM-7200 will hold the MacBook but not comfortably.

Few have been able to constrain their kit to one body and 2-3 lenses..so I like the J-803 as the first bag even though the macbook doesn t fit.

Lazzaros

Mine arrived on Monday:

I'm going to use it with my R8 and lens. It's not too big and not small. Really liked it...

Lazzaros

This is little bigger than the small one. The seller told me that this is the Hadley Original.

I was curious with the logo too because I never saw this one before....But this is the first Billingham and I don't know very well all the models.

Lazzaros

I went to see the warranty papers now and this model is described as Billingham Hadley 44" Black.

It is not in the website...So I don't know if this is an old model or not. I bought it new for an English private seller. He had another one that was sold on ebay.

Maybe this one is a rare one ahaha :D

glenerrolrd

Workshop Member
The Billinghams are beauties. I like the Domke insert better and use one with my Billinghams. There is a f2 insert with 4 slots that is made for wide angles and is shorter than the standard one. Keeps the smaller Leica lenses for being too deep in the slot. Its like the one in Jack s photo only shorter.

roanjoh

Roger - I am also considering the Domke j803. I might have to look in B&H to decide between that and the NG.

Thanks for the lengthy reply BTW, very very helpful.

glenerrolrd

Workshop Member
Look at Jack s post up in "how to post your pictures" he uses his J-803 setup as an example . I haven t found a better solution from a fit standpoint.

Roger - I am also considering the Domke j803. I might have to look in B&H to decide between that and the NG.

Thanks for the lengthy reply BTW, very very helpful.

Double Negative

Not Available
I use a Think Tank Photo "Urban Disguise 20" for my RF gear. Absolutely love the bag. It's made of top-notch materials, the workmanship is excellent. Very compact bag considering all that it holds. It's been around the world a few times and nothing has failed; it barely even looks used. Highly recommended.

Lazzaros

Just a curiously. I contacted Billingham about my bag and this one is a limited edition made for the production team behind the move 44".

:)

thrice

I discovered and use a J-803 without anyones help!

I think it is the best solution for me.
Jim, first time I've seen you here :). I have an f-5XB and have considered the J-803, purely for the lack of velcro (and thus noise). How is the depth? does the camera disappear into it or is it relatively easy to reach things on the bottom?

Thanks

ashwinrao1

Have a few.

Artisan and Arist Oskar's Day Bag
Billingham For Leica Hadley (less and less used, may be a sale soon...)
Billingham Pola Shoulder Bag (awesome, uber compact)
Fogg B-Laika (just lovely)