Site Sponsors

Thread: 24 mm Lux

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

24 mm Lux

My new 24mm Lux arrived on Monday. I got a chance to sample this lens on the Salton Sea workshop and fell in love with it. According to Guy it has mojo; according to Jack it rocks; according to me it has charisma - we're all saying the same thing. In this and the following posts I'm attaching a dozen or so images from yesterday in Boston and today (St. Patrick's day) in NY. I cycled back and forth between shooting hyperfocused at f11 - major comfort zone for me, and shooitng at f1.4 and ISO 80 - 1/4000 just barely handles sunny daylight. I did some perspective correction in PS and some (which I will identify) are stitches.

Here we go:

Brick wall -

It handles flare-provoking situations well:

Last edited by Woody Campbell; 17th March 2010 at 16:50.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: 24 mm Lux

More -

The lens renders colors slightly cool, but they are beautiful.

Here's a wide open. Not great art but it illustrates what is possible - it has real magic wide open.

Another postcard:

Last edited by Woody Campbell; 17th March 2010 at 17:02.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Welcome to the club Everything you say - and more
    JAAP
    http://www.jaapvphotography.eu
    The colours of my generation are black and white.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

More

Back to wide open:

More street. This is one of the images that had its perspective corrected in PS. The lens has a bit of barrel distortion; it corrects perfectly with the lens correction filter in PS.

Two panel stitch with PTGui.

My favorite from the Boston shots - another brick wall:

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Even more -

Back in NY. St. Patrick's Day parade wide open.

Spectators. I often shoot looking away from the action.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

More -

The Guggenheim after the parade. I've been struggling with how to shoot this for some time - these are getting there. This is a three panel stitch using a spherical projection.

Two more Guggenheims - these are at f1.4

Finally, a telephone:

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I haven't posted to my blog for yesterday or today. Let me know which images you think should go up.

Thanks!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by jaapv View Post
    The initiation fee is a bit steep. I sold my TE, which is handy but doesn't have a lot of special character, and my 3.8 24mm, which went a long way toward covering the cost.

Note that the lens does show purple fringing at high contrast transitions. I haven't had a chance to explore the effect of f-stop on this - I've been have too much fun shooting to bother messing around with testing. I made up a pretty straightforward preset in LR to handle it by desaturating purple.
    Last edited by Woody Campbell; 17th March 2010 at 16:47.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by jaapv View Post
    jaapv - What viewfinder are you using? I've got the CZ 25, but the lens is noticeably wider.

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

nice woody, love the first guggenheim shot

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Damn you, Woody, why did you have to go out and take some amazing shots that make this lens so lustworthy. It has been on my list for some time, and will remain so for a while longer.

I have a 24 elmarit coming my way, and I suspect it too may have some mojo! but that 24 lux is in a league of its own!
    Ashwin Rao
    Seattle, WA
    My Photography

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Woody: Very nice maiden voyage with the 24 lux. I like #'s 12 & 13 and the Guggenheim shots. Cheers, Matt.

http://mdriscoll.zenfolio.com

Post Thanks / Like

Woody I use the CZ 25 finder with my 24/1.4. Its a trade off ...for closer distances its accurate enough and at distance I use it as a guide. I ve experimented with the 21CZ but when you need it closer its too wide. So I guess have a little extra beats cutting into the frame.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Wood, great images, and I am also a great fan of that lens.
    I use it with the Leica D-Lux viewfinder which works just fine for me.
    Keep posting more images.
    Tom

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by t_streng View Post
    Wood, great images, and I am also a great fan of that lens.
    I use it with the Leica D-Lux viewfinder which works just fine for me.
    Keep posting more images.
    Tom
    thanks for the tip.

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Woody C1 CA control will correct the purple fringing wide open. I only saw it wide open but i also did not have a lot of time with the lens to see how far down it shows up. Congrats BTW this lens has it.
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by jlm View Post
    nice woody, love the first guggenheim shot
    +1 --- absolutely a killer shot!
    Jack
    home: www.getdpi.com

"Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence."

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Mancuso View Post
    Woody C1 CA control will correct the purple fringing wide open. I only saw it wide open but i also did not have a lot of time with the lens to see how far down it shows up. Congrats BTW this lens has it.
    Thanks Guy. This gives me another reason to use C1. I'll experiment with it later today and report back.

Post Thanks / Like

Beautiful stuff Woody! These wide luxes are just sensational lenses! As Guy says, C1 handles the purple fringing easily. Just check the purple fringing box in the lens correction page (only the "pro" version has this) and it's done. With my 21 lux which has the same issue, if I'm shooting in high contrast light, I just paste the correction into the entire set of images, without even checking to see if they all need it, I've seen no IQ cost to this. Enjoy the fine new tool and keep posting! best...Peter

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Hi All,

Just trying to get a handle on one particular characteristic of either the 24 or 21mm Lux's. I've noticed in quite a few images posted with one of these lenses, that when shooting wide open and at fairly close range, in order to emphasize depth of field, that the OOF areas and bokeh appears jittery (nervous) at times. I haven't had a chance to actually shoot or work with files from these two lenses, so my comments only reflect posted images here and elsewhere. I also realize it's difficult to compare smooth bokeh's and OOF rendition of 35, 50 and 90mm fast lenses with ultra fast wide angles and that the OOF subject (background) plays a important role. It's that on quite a few occasions, I've noticed this jittery (nervous) bokeh in images taken with these two wide angle Lux's and wondering if this is just characteristics of these two lenses when shot under conditions as described.

Other than that, lots of lovely images Woody..keep them coming. I have often considered either the 24 or 21 Lux's...difficult choice between the two.

Dave (D&A)

Post Thanks / Like

The OOF bokeh at close range wide open, certainly seems to be compromised.....I would think as a result of the floating element design.

My 24 Elmarit has a much smoother OOF image, at 2.8 of course.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

The bokeh is very similar (possibly by design) to the f1.0 version Nocti that I owned at one point - I sold it because at F1.0 I couldn't reliably focus it. People love it or hate it. Like the Nocti it is inconsistent - on the two Guggenheim details and the parade bokeh is reasonably smooth (but not as creamy as my 35 chron v 4); in the phone and the "digital prints" it looks like a double image. Has anyone with experience with this lens or the Nocti figured this out? Maybe the double image look kicks in at very close focus. I'll experiment.

Quote Originally Posted by D&A View Post
    Hi All,

Just trying to get a handle on one particular characteristic of either the 24 or 21mm Lux's. I've noticed in quite a few images posted with one of these lenses, that when shooting wide open and at fairly close range, in order to emphasize depth of field, that the OOF areas and bokeh appears jittery (nervous) at times. I haven't had a chance to actually shoot or work with files from these two lenses, so my comments only reflect posted images here and elsewhere. I also realize it's difficult to compare smooth bokeh's and OOF rendition of 35, 50 and 90mm fast lenses with ultra fast wide angles and that the OOF subject (background) plays a important role. It's that on quite a few occasions, I've noticed this jittery (nervous) bokeh in images taken with these two wide angle Lux's and wondering if this is just characteristics of these two lenses when shot under conditions as described.

Other than that, lots of lovely images Woody..keep them coming. I have often considered either the 24 or 21 Lux's...difficult choice between the two.

Dave (D&A)
    Last edited by Woody Campbell; 18th March 2010 at 12:53.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Woody Campbell View Post
    jaapv - What viewfinder are you using? I've got the CZ 25, but the lens is noticeably wider.
    The D-Lux 4 one.
    JAAP
    http://www.jaapvphotography.eu
    The colours of my generation are black and white.

Post Thanks / Like

Commenting on the bokeh issue, in regard to my experience with the 21 lux, I agree that this is not a strong point of the lens. Having recently acquired the 35mm pre-asph cron version IV I can't resist saying "I have met the bokeh King, and you sir, are not him" to my 21 lux. But this goes beyond that comparison. I do find that often, but not always, the bokeh is a bit busy and edgy. While I do prefer a more rounded and smooth look in OOF in general, I have to say that in many instances the edginess adds to the dynamic feeling of the 21 lux, so that I often find it to be a contributing factor to the energy of the image even if I wouldn't show the OOF area itself as a crop and say...wow, what gorgeous bokeh, as I might with many other lenses, including my last version 50/1.0 pre-asph. I disagree that my 21 lux OOF looks a lot like my noctilux anyway. best....Peter

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Woody, Peter and All for your response to my observations regarding the OOF areas and bokeh of the 21 & 24mm Luxes. I agree, ti does appear to be fussy (busy) at times. A bit different than the 50mm f1.0 pre asph Noct I used to have, but clearly not as smooth or like some of the usual fast lenses we associate with nice bokeh. Still as Peter says, in some images, it lends to the lenses signature and of course these lenses have so many other positive attributes. Something to look forward to maybe aquiring in the future. Thanks again!

Dave (D&A)

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Congrats Woody. The more you play with this lens the more you'll get out of it.

My main motivation for the 24/1.4 LUX was to use a lower ISO is dark available light situations I face frequently in my paying work. I just use a WATE when the light is good.

My expectations were mostly driven by that need, and I didn't really think that this would be a Bokeh champion when it so damned sharp at close focusing distances ... pretty hard to accomplish both with a super-wide I would think. However, knowing that going in, one can take it into account and try to compose so the OOF areas are more distant to somewhat counteract the floating element's effect on things just beyond the field of focus. I've attached a job shot, and a test shot.

I've been so impressed with this lens that I stoled money from my MFD fund and ordered the 21 Lux so I have 2 ranges of lens line-up: 21,28.50, 90 ... or 24, 35. 75

Post Thanks / Like

I finally managed to get the 24 mm VF, so I will start using the lens. Pity there is no 0.58 M9.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Congrats Woody! Spectacular! I Must Have This Lens!

Not Available
    Post Thanks / Like

Great stuff, Woody. Thanks for sharing!

I have to agree with Peter and others about the wiry or "nervous" bokeh in some cases. But the lens(es) definitely seem sharp, contrasty, have lovely color - and of course go to f/1.4! On an M8, I can see the 1,4/24 as a fantastic combo for myself (mostly because the lens equates to a nice 35mm focal length in film and is bright enough for darker scenes). On an M9/film, I'd probably lean more towards the 35 or 50 Lux. But, I love my wides!

If you don't need the speed and want practically distortion-free, super sharp and punchy shots; check out the 2,8/25 ZM. Naturally, my biggest complaint with this lens is that it's "only" an f/2.8 - but it has neither stopped me from using it, nor enjoying it's fantastic imaging qualities.

As for this 24 Lux, I'll be keeping my eye on these...

Ahh, so many lenses - so little time!

Subscriber & Workshop Member GrahamWelland's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

The latest crop of Summilux's are definitely very impressive lenses. It's just a shame that you need a ski mask and/or Ponzi scheme to afford them. Ditto the viewfinders btw.

I originally had the new Leica 24mm viewfinder (which is great btw) but when I went with the 21 'lux instead of the 24 I changed over to the very impressive Zeiss. I swear that this thing amplifies the light ...

Not Available
    Post Thanks / Like

^ I can't speak of the Leica finders, but the Zeiss... Wow. Huge, bright, clear. I think they got it down to a science - the built-in finder of the Ikon is equally sweet. Though admittedly, I'm not a fan of external finders in general, regardless of merit.

Post Thanks / Like

Beautiful shots Woody. The colors and sharpness are amazing!! Subject separation wide open is also unreal.......... but for >$5000, I would expect nothing less.

IN summary, this is another addition to my "unattainable" lens lust file.

:-)

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by roanjoh View Post
    Beautiful shots Woody. The colors and sharpness are amazing!! Subject separation wide open is also unreal.......... but for >$5000, I would expect nothing less.

IN summary, this is another addition to my "unattainable" lens lust file.

:-)
    +1, on all counts... on the shots and performance, on the "unattainable" status for me.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Two more from my daily blog from Manhattan. Both shot with the 24 Lux.

This one is a two frame stitch.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Three from New Orleans, also from my daily blog.

The third image is a good test of the purple fringing issue. Indeed, as Guy suggested, doing the conversion in C1 eliminates the issue.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Woody Campbell View Post
    Three from New Orleans, also from my daily blog.

The third image is a good test of the purple fringing issue. Indeed, as Guy suggested, doing the conversion in C1 eliminates the issue.
    Impressive results (these and those above). Remarkable results from this lens. Makes my wallet cry.

Post Thanks / Like

Woody, great stuff. This is my favorite lens. I coughed up the change to get it because I knew that I would love it, considering how much I have loved the Canon 24/1.4. In fact, I sold my Canon gear to get this lens and haven't regretted it one bit.

On the M9, this lens is worth *every penny.*

As for the viewfinder, I find that I can approximate quite fine just using the full FOV of the M9 finder. It's not perfect, but its close enough, and I just chimp to verify.

Jeff

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Woody: Great images! I'm going to have to try the stitch. The last photo of the church is exceptional. Like Jeff, i skip the viewer, and just shoot. The viewer seems to get in the way of the process. Cheers, Matt.

http://mdriscoll.zenfolio.com

Not Available
    Post Thanks / Like

Woody, is that second shot Café Du Monde?

Excellent shots. This lens is looking really sweet.

Quote Originally Posted by Alnitak View Post
    Woody, great stuff. This is my favorite lens. I coughed up the change to get it because I knew that I would love it, considering how much I have loved the Canon 24/1.4. In fact, I sold my Canon gear to get this lens and haven't regretted it one bit...
    I just recently got the 24mm f/1.4L Mark II myself (having wanted it forever) along with other L primes... And I'm sorely tempted to do the same. Don't get me wrong, I love my Canon gear. But it's so bulky and heavy and honestly, the bodies lately just don't do it for me anymore. I still have my 1D Mark IIn that I can't be bothered to upgrade. The only camera that might keep me in the ring is the 1Ds Mark IV (which is due out Any Time Now(TM) supposedly).

Post Thanks / Like

..........now we need to see some low-light shots from this lens :-)

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Very nice Woody.

Why doesent anybody talk about the viewfinder that Leica made for this and the 21?

Subscriber & Workshop Member GrahamWelland's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I used the latest Leica brightline finder for the 24mm with my Elmarit and found it to be excellent in terms of brightness and relative distortion. The viewfinder size is nice in so far it isn't huge and so that's helpful if you need to put the camera in & out of a bag regularly with the finder attached.

One thing I didn't really like (other than the price) was the combined 24/32mm markings for full frame/1.33x crop. I found that distracting and with hindsight might have actually purchased the 18mm finder so that I had 18/24 markings and a bigger field of view to crop within. I also had the previous generation 24mm Leica finder (plastic vs metal) and that was actually excellent, although not as bright and somewhat more distorting than the current version. These can be found for $250 or so used and might be all you need. I didn't try the D-Lux viewfinder but that's also a more affordable alternative too.

When I moved from 24mm to the 21 'lux I decided not to purchase the Leica finder but instead went with the Zeiss 21mm VF. This has a very similar character to the Leica finder in that it is incredibly bright and very usable. You don't get that feeling of peering into a dark tube that some of the smaller finders give you. Whilst the Zeiss is superb optically, it is a bit bigger than the Leica finder so this might be a consideration. In terms of performance/$$ I think it's a much better deal.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Graham, that is good to know as I am looking for a 21 finder, thanks.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Cafe Beignet on Rue Royal.

Quote Originally Posted by Double Negative View Post
    Woody, is that second shot Café Du Monde?

Excellent shots. This lens is looking really sweet.

I just recently got the 24mm f/1.4L Mark II myself (having wanted it forever) along with other L primes... And I'm sorely tempted to do the same. Don't get me wrong, I love my Canon gear. But it's so bulky and heavy and honestly, the bodies lately just don't do it for me anymore. I still have my 1D Mark IIn that I can't be bothered to upgrade. The only camera that might keep me in the ring is the 1Ds Mark IV (which is due out Any Time Now(TM) supposedly).

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by gero View Post
    Very nice Woody.

Why doesent anybody talk about the viewfinder that Leica made for this and the 21?
    dont talk about it because it has the double price than the Leica D-Lux4 viewfinder but-as far as I know-the same optics.
    I think the main difference is a little mor metal in the housing, however the D-Lux viewfinder is build solid as well.
    So I dont really see the point to buy 200€ extra.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

+1! on this. I'm now using the D-lux finder and my framing accuracy has improved dramatically over using the 25mm CZ finder. The view is less appealing than the CZ, which is very wide, but the D-Lux finders more tunnel like view facilitates (for me) more accurate framing.

Quote Originally Posted by t_streng View Post
    dont talk about it because it has the double price than the Leica D-Lux4 viewfinder but-as far as I know-the same optics.
    I think the main difference is a little mor metal in the housing, however the D-Lux viewfinder is build solid as well.
    So I dont really see the point to buy 200€ extra.