The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

X1 image thread

M

Mango

Thank you all for the excellent shots. It's good to see personal styles that are so different.

Please look at Farnesworth's ISO 3200 shots on his superb blog ("Spreading rumours and lies ..." and "I'm deranged"). They look very clean to me. "I'm deranged" looks great in the smoothness and the detail. Anyone: are they better than what the M8 or M9 could achieve?

Lloyd

Thank you all for the excellent shots. It's good to see personal styles that are so different.

Please look at Farnesworth's ISO 3200 shots on his superb blog ("Spreading rumours and lies ..." and "I'm deranged"). They look very clean to me. "I'm deranged" looks great in the smoothness and the detail. Anyone: are they better than what the M8 or M9 could achieve?
Do you have a link to the blog?

Lloyd

I have to admit, I'm impressed. I honestly don't think my M8 performs that well at high ISO.

Farnesworth

Thank you everyone for such a welcoming forum.

I have no hesitation in using 3200 with this camera - some of the colour pics are extremely useable, but as ever, the light source can make a big difference to noise etc.

I used no noise reduction other than LR2 defaults - and in fact often add grain with Silver Efex. LR3 seems to have fantastic noise reduction built in, but falls over too often at the moment.

Compared with my M8, I think the X1 has 1.5 to 2 stops better high iso. Also at 3200 the X1 keeps colour and saturation well, unlike the M8. Hardly suprising given 3 or 4 years of sensor development between the two....

jonoslack

Lovely blog Farnesworth (is it Darren?)
simple and good - and that's a great shot with the X1 too.
:clap::clap:

retow

Lloyd and Matt: Yes, I did get an iPad. I am trying to figure out how to get my flickr to play nice on the iPad, or else I may download my images to the ipad via iphoto. That screen is lovely!!! It's a very functional device, definitely a worthy purchase!

Retow: Great images. I'll have to give MF a try

Mark. Thanks! That was my fav as well!

Farnesworth: nice capture/environmental portrait

Terry: Do you have any more shots up your sleeve?
Thanks for the encouragement. I was surprised about the percentage of shots "in focus", I'd say about 6-7 out of 10 were pretty ok. So with other words, the X1 is absolutely usable for mf and zf as far as I'm concerned. I only wished that switching from af to mf and vice versa could be done via dedicated button, with one click, maybe a firmware update will address this
The quality of the files produced by the X1 is superb, as shown by the many excellent photos in this thread.

markwon

Lloyd and Ashwin, thank you for your comments!

Lloyd--are you planning to give the X1 a try at all for yourself?
Ashwin--it looks like you're getting more and more comfortable with the X1. Looking forward to seeing more!

Lloyd

Lloyd and Ashwin, thank you for your comments!

Lloyd--are you planning to give the X1 a try at all for yourself?
I'm certainly giving it serious consideration. I love the focal length, and from the results I'm seeing, I can't see why not. There are some little issues I'd like to be different (e.g., shutter lag, switch to manual focus, etc.), but we'll see how the next firmware update goes. I just know I'm impressed so far... your nice images in particular. :thumbup:

ashwinrao1

Lloyd, it's worth your consideration. I have been tweeking settings to get the most out of the camera and shooting exclusively using a 35 mm viewfinder and 11 point focus to achieve the results that I am liking quite a bit.

m_driscoll

Ashwin: Fisherman's Terminal. Very nice indeed! You're not making it easy for a equipment junky like me to avoid the X1. Cheers, Matt

ashwinrao1

Hi Matt,
Thanks! I am very impressed by this little camera, and think it will be fun to use as a 1 camera/1 lens solution. I have a nice Fogg bag coming for it soon...I am thrilled with the camera...and that silent shutter....IQ is much better, to my eyes, than the GF-1/EP-1, but maybe that's just me...