Thread: 90 recommendations?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

90 recommendations?

On my trip this summer I have made the following lens choices;

21 2.8 and 28 cron for outside cv12 as well
    35 Lux for inside
    50Lux for Portraits

but I think I need something on the long end like a 90. I'm a little confused there, any recommendations?
    Mike

website under construction

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: 90 recommendations?

I'm using the 90 Summarit and like it. Not much bigger than the 90 macro I sold.

Easy to focus, reasonably fast (OK very fast vs my equivalent Nikon lens) and not overly expensive.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Given my 90 experience, I think I will be keeping my chrome pre-asph, dumping my beater asph and get the summarit.
    1) It is used not that often by me
    2) The summarits are lighter and smaller, which is a benefit for me
    3) They have a reputation for being easier to focus (I am not sure why, Terry can you explain?)
    4) it is only a half stop slower
    5) any very much less money
    -bob

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

It just seems when you turn the ring I don't have to play around much. Guy, I think got it correct in that the throw (distance) from close to infinity is small you don't mess around with lots of fine tuning. Smaller moves on focus ring have bigger changes in focus. I haven't been using the magnifier either (but YMMV).

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

And that was one reason I like the 90 and 75mm summarits was the focus was a short throw. I just seemed to nail focus a lot easier and it is very good wide open also.
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

the best 90 i've ever had was (and is) fat tele-elmarit. it is the size and weight of the current 1.4/50 asph (i am talking about chrome version) with non-existent XA and very smooth bokeh. oh, it is sharp too

Post Thanks / Like

My vote is for the 90 summicron asph. Read the E . Putts review. Once my system was properly calibrated ..it just is amazingly sharp . The reason for the longer throw is to aid in fine tuning the focus (same as Noctilux and 75 summilux) and is necessary when using it wide open. I use this lens a lot and have just forgotten about the size. The summarits do seem to be a great value if this isn t a priority focal length and have the advantage of a smaller size.

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Good point , all of these 90's will have a certain look to them. The modern 90 apo is clinical to say what Irakly just described. Problem is there are a slew of 90's out there . One lens i liked also was the latest 90 2.8 elmarit also some folks like the 90 pre asph lens. The 90 Summarit is more acting like a 90 apo per say. Guess the real question to ask yourself is what you want your 90 to look like. I have for example a 50 pre asph Lux which gives me a nice feel and great bokeh but than i have a 75 cron that is sharp as a tack and more clinical looking . I try to setup my lenses to look a little differnt so depending on what I am shooting i will grab more for look than anything else. Something to consider in your choices.
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

One lens that I really like is the 90mm M hexanon, cheap, beautifully made, and sharp as heck. Coding does not matter at this focal length, so unless you need f/2 to be blisteringly sharp, get the m hexanon or an elmarit (or summarit). Good 90mm lenses are easy to make...

Deceased, but remembered fondly here... johnastovall's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I like the 90mm pre-ASPH 'Cron.

"The market wants a Leica to be a Leica: the inheritor of tradition, the subject of lore, and indisputably a mark of status to own."
    Mike Johnston

Post Thanks / Like

I have both a 90 Summicron and a 1960s Elmarit. Neither focus quite right on the M8.

On the other hand, I also have a humble CV 90/3.5 "APO Lanthar." It focuses fine, does not shift, and gives beautiful rendition. It's also small and light. It's not clinical, but it is sharp. A bit lower contrast than the Leica ASPHs, so it make a good sunny-day lens, to use Sean Reid's term. Inexpensive, too--particularly used.

From the image below, I can make an 11x14 print, and count individual trees on the high snowy ridges in the distance. That's sharp enough.

--Peter
    Last edited by Peter Klein; 12th April 2010 at 19:32.

Michael Rivers

I chose the Leica 2.8, latest, because I don't use a 90 much except for travel, and it weighs much less than the the 90mm Cron Asph. I don't have the magnifier, but I also tend to use the lens at infinity for landscapes like the above photo where I don't need to focus precisely.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

With resopect to Bob's post above:

1) It is used not that often by me, only when I need to go long and only have the M with me
    2) The summarits are lighter and smaller, which is a benefit for me
    3) They are easier to focus than other 90's I've owned (which is several); I suspect due to having a faster focus throw than the other 90's
    4) it is only a half stop slower
    5) it is reasonably priced for this niche

Which is precisely why I sold all my other 90's and replaced them with a single Summarit. However, a good 90 Elmarit may be an even better choice if you don't shoot much. A bit slower at f2.8, but about the same size and probably even less money used with excellent optical quality is the 90 Elmarit. OTOH, if you are going to use it a lot, and want the best image quality, the APO Asph Cron is tough to beat.
    Jack
    home: www.getdpi.com

"Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence."

Post Thanks / Like

I have and love the 90 pre-ASPH Cron. Fantastic lens, sharp but with a great look, can be had relatively cheap... what could I want more? A free Nocti, maybe...
    Vieri Bottazzini
    Leica Ambassador | Formatt-Hitech Ambassador | ABIPP EP
    VIERI BOTTAZZINI PHOTOGRAPHER | VIERI BOTTAZZINI WORKSHOPS | VIERI BOTTAZZINI FINE ART

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Take a serious look at the latest 90/2.8 Elmarit (which was just discontinued in favor of the Summarit).

In size they are very similar, however I give the advantage to the Elmarit with its built in hood.

I honestly believe the Elmarit gives better image quality out to the corners of a full frame (ie: film) and even on the M8. Mine seemed to also edge out the Summarit in its ability to render fine details and a larger tonal range.

It is like the Summarit in ease of focus, since they are both geared with a short throw.

Best,

Ray

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

LOL - Mike have you narrowed it down from all this?????

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I went through this 90mm saga too - ended up with 3!! All great and different - I have the 90ApoAsph, 90pre asph and the macro elmar... I'd highly recommend you buy just one - and learn to like it if need be - it will be much cheaper!

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

With you all the way on that RAY. I have a 90/2.8 which I had calibrated along with my 90/2AA ... so I thought I'd sell both of them for the 90/2.5 ... my dealer sent me one and it fell short of both the other lenses ... not as sharp as the f/2AA and lacked the character and bokeh of the f/2.8. ... so I sent it back. Didn't like the lens hood either.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

BTW, this is how you focus a 90AA quickly ...
    Last edited by fotografz; 25th June 2008 at 16:30.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Terry, I wish I lived close to civilization so I could try em out...I'm think I'm going to try to find a used elmarit.
    Mike

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by mwalker View Post
    Terry, I wish I lived close to civilization so I could try em out...I'm think I'm going to try to find a used elmarit.
    Actually as I was reading this thread I thought that was a good suggestion. I liked that lens when I was first looking at 90's and bought the macro which I ended up not keeping. The built in hood is quite nice and it isn't much slower and the price should be right. There should be no trouble finding them. When I was first buying lenses used 90 elmarits were very plentiful.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thanks everyone
    Mike

Sean_Reid

I've tested a good number of 90s for reviews and the good news is that there are a lot of great choices out there. Also, the second sample of the Zeiss I tested was stellar.

Cheers,

Sean

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Sean, I agree about the 85. If you got one from Zeiss, we may be even talking about the same lens. USA I am not sure if it's conical shape is the most ergonomic solution, but, on the other hand, it shifts weight balance more into a camera body, which is a good thing.

Sean_Reid

Hi Irakly,

Yes, both samples I tested came from Zeiss. The first one was pre-production and it was way out of adjustment. The second one though, production level....wow. Those results will be in the 90 Summarit test.

So we may have both tested the same lens. As a rule, I haven't seen much sample variation at all in the production Zeiss lenses.

Cheers,

Sean

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Sean, what really impressed me with all the lenses (they sent me everything except the 15) was how similar, almost identical in operation they all were. Kind of like Contax 645 lineup, but even more so.

Sean_Reid

Hi Irakly,

They are, indeed, very consistent in their design. All in all, I'm usually impressed with Zeiss these days.

Cheers,

Sean

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hi Sean,
    I meant to post this... It's the 85...
    Irakly

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I am going to offer a slightly different reasoning for choosing the 90mm. I seldom use the 90mm, but when I do, I want the best quality. For that I would suggest the 90mm APO Summicron. Used they are not much more than the 90mm Summarit and you have stunning quality even at f2. The 90mm Elmarit-M is a nice lens too, but the APO has more punch to the image. I have owned both and I prefer the 90mm APO.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Irakly...awesome..
    Mike

Sean_Reid

Quote Originally Posted by irakly View Post
    Hi Sean,
    I meant to post this... It's the 85...
    Irakly
    Cool, so did you end up getting one?

Cheers,

Sean

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Irakly -
    Did you ever write an article on the Zeiss lenses?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Sean_Reid View Post
    Cool, so did you end up getting one?

Cheers,

Sean
    no because leica eventually sent me 2/90 instead of the one that they broke

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by TEBnewyork View Post
    Irakly -
    Did you ever write an article on the Zeiss lenses?
    I wrote the first part. It's about 18 and 25. It will be published on Lexar site in a few days. The next one will be about 28 and 35. After that I am planning on doing a comparative review on pre-asph 50 summilux and 50 sonnar. Leica seems to be interested in me doing one for 75 cron versus 85 sonnar. That probably will be the last one. Unless of course Zeiss eventually sends me the 15.

Post Thanks / Like

@ Irakly

I saw your review on the zeiss lenses but I wasn't able to locate your review of the 28 and 85. Where they posted?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Mike: I have an old silver Elmarit 2.8 from 1965 that i like. It is sharp and well broken-in. There is something very pleasing about the way it feels and shoots. Probably, you can find one for a reasonable price. DR

wilsonlaidlaw

Quote Originally Posted by harmsr View Post
    Take a serious look at the latest 90/2.8 Elmarit (which was just discontinued in favor of the Summarit).

In size they are very similar, however I give the advantage to the Elmarit with its built in hood.

I honestly believe the Elmarit gives better image quality out to the corners of a full frame (ie: film) and even on the M8. Mine seemed to also edge out the Summarit in its ability to render fine details and a larger tonal range.

It is like the Summarit in ease of focus, since they are both geared with a short throw.

Best,

Ray
    + 1 for the Elmarit-M. I also have a 75 Summarit. The hood is a total pain, with the lens cap falling off all the time. I am not too enamoured of the way it draws either. The 90 Summarit is very similar. The final version Elmarit-M draws beautifully. It is even sharper, if anything, than the 90 Summicron, much lighter and a fraction of the price. To get a disinterested view, have a look at Sean Reid's take on this at ReidReviews.com A paid site but well worth the money in my view.

Wilson

Post Thanks / Like

I agree, the 90mm Elmarit-M is a stunner. My only annoyance is I bought a used chrome version, in like-new condition... So new that the focusing is still very heavy and really needs to be broken in. The chrome version is also rather heavy, but I greatly prefer silver/chrome lenses, and whether people admit it or not, looks play a part in camera/lens choices.

I prefer the rendering to the 90 Apo, which I previously owned in R mount.

Sorry about the horrid jpeg re-compression, my site is being re-done so I hosted the file on photobucket.