The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

New RF countdown......(Canon?)......

M

Mango

I don't think somebody like Jeff Ascough would perform such an April Fool's stunt. It would ruin his credibility amongst the professional photographic community.

Peter Klein

If a person under NDA tweets something, it's likely he's part of the buzz creation machine, and is doing exactly what the manufacturer wants him to.

Now, as a certain former U.S. President would say, it depends on what he means precisely by "rangerfinder."

Jonathon Delacour

Subscriber Member
If a person under NDA tweets something, it's likely he's part of the buzz creation machine, and is doing exactly what the manufacturer wants him to.

Now, as a certain former U.S. President would say, it depends on what he means precisely by "rangerfinder."
You nailed it, Peter. In the PR game they call it a "controlled leak."

jonoslack

I don't think somebody like Jeff Ascough would perform such an April Fool's stunt. It would ruin his credibility amongst the professional photographic community.
OF course it wouldn't - Everybody is allowed an April Fool, especially if it's a good one.

No one seems to mention Nikon as the likely sponsor of this April Fool's joke. Anyway, Nikon has been rumored to be working on a RF for several years. It wouldn't surprise me if Nikon is the new RF player, I'd love it to be so! best...Peter

thrice

The guy is a genius, making up an april fools joke, for a product so many people would be interested in, and directing tons of traffic to his website and blog. Business must be booming!

fotografz

I doubt it's an April fools joke unless Jeff wants to make a specific point regarding what he'd like in a RF camera.

If anyone could pull this off it'd be Canon, for whom Jeff is a spokesman. An AF rangefinder with electronic frame lines and a high meg Canon CMOS FF sensor would be an interesting addition to the mix. That could also mean live view.

Heck, since the mount is public domain now ... it could be a M mount. Maybe focus confirmation with manual focus M lenses?

More likely it'd be all Canon top to bottom, so it'd make little difference to me personally. I've never cared for the look from Canon sensors, and I've never been a fan of their wide angle lenses in any flavor. All the electronic stuff is nice, but I couldn't care less about bells and whistles ... which is why I personally hated the Contax G2 system when I had it.

-Marc

roanjoh

More info:

I'm still having issues with hosting some images. The camera company aren't happy about them being hosted on a third party site, so we are looking at the option of upgrading my server to keep up with the massive traffic that the pics demonstrated.

I've had a couple of emails about the camera, and I can tell you a couple of things which I think are important. The high iso is really good, especially if you use the different picture modes that are built into the camera. The HCB/Tri-X mode is really good, and with the camera connected up to the computer you can tweak the tonal curve and noise reduction in that mode to get a really authentic black and white image straight out of camera. These can be saved as presets within the camera.

The framelines and AF are the biggest thing for me. The camera uses a system which the manufacturers call Luminance Optimized Optical Framelines. Basically the framelines alter size depending on focus distance, and they also get brighter or darker depending on the outside light. This makes seeing them a lot easier especially in the dark which was always an issue with standard Rangefinders.

Hopefully I'll be able to get some more pics up within the next 24-48 hours.
Maybe not a joke after all??

roanjoh

OK. Now that I had a few sips of coffee....... a few things popped up:

HCB/Tri-X mode??!!! Luminance Optimized Optical Framelines (LOOF = FOOL)??!!!

HAHAHAHAHAHAHHA!!!!! This is most definitely a joke!!!

Last edited:

thrice

An 'HCB/Tri-X' mode is most certainly odd. A Leica ambassador and a Kodak film, definitely not what one would associate with a Canon.

I'll be very interested if SOMETHING actually gets announced, be kinda funny given all the strange hints. Be rather fun if NOTHING is announced - from my perspective considering all the people starting to smack-talk the overpriced Leica M9's thinking their cheaper/better alternative is coming. :p

jonoslack

Wonderful . . . . . but it seems to me that it's a pity that it became obvious today . . . Still, let's hope we have some pretty pictures tomorrow.

I love this stuff . . . Who could ever forget the Spaghetti farms on Panorama:
. . . Spaghetti Farm

Or the Guardian's San Serriffe

V

Vivek

If true..it is a Nikon. They have patents describing such a camera and a lens that fits the claimed 35/1.2.

As Jorgen said in a thread (m4/3rds), this is not all that exciting as Nikon would make sure no other lenses can be used on a cam like this.:thumbdown:

The camera is likely to have a lock and key type arrangement that would make sure only when the designed lens is mounted, the sensor is accessible for imaging (part of the Niko patent IIRC).

Diane B

The things that keep me reading this thread are 1) FF; 2) size; 3) AF with what appears MF assist. I love my FF 5D but not the size+ lens, really like the m4/3rds size/weight/flexibility, can MF pretty reliably with MF assist, but AF is helpful to me as my eyes age. I don't know if I would like a RF or not--never having shot with one, but IF this is true, I'll be interested as I'll never afford a Leica--and maybe this one will be out of range of what I"m willing to pay too for another system--but its intriguing.

Diane

jonoslack

Strange things happen, Jono.

For example:

http://nikonfieldreviews.com/

from

http://canonfieldreviews.com/
Well Vivek, they certainly do, but if you refer to Mr William of Occam, the conjunction of the following:

1. He shoots (and speaks for) Canon
2. the new camera seems to have a LOOF (fool) mode
3. it has an HCB/TriX mode
4. it's April Fools day tomorrow.

Then postulating a new Nikon rangefinder seems to be a long way from a straightforward theory!

Of course, it could be a double bluff I suppose :toocool:

V

Vivek

Hi Jono,

Surely, Occam's razor has nothing to do with any countdown from any rumor site, does it? ;)

aboudd

I heard that it was called the i-Riff:ROTFL: was being made by Apple and would shoot on the Verizon network.