The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

24mm lens options for the M9

mjm6

Hi folks,

Short question on the 24mm lenses available for use on the M9...

I am looking for information on which one performs better with respect to the 'red edge' problem? I know they are both excellent performers in most other aspects, but I have not seen a specific comparison of the two with respect to the M9 and it's particular 'nuances'. Let's leave the 24mm 'lux out of the discussion.

I've seen some anecdotal information that the 24mm elmarit suffers from R.E., but not really any comment on the elmar.

Does anyone have direct experience with both to compare directly?

I think I'm close to finalizing the lens kit for the M9, and this shol be one of the last changes...

Thanks,

---Michael

LJL

Michael,
Not to throw a wrench into the works, but you may also take a look at the Zeiss 25/2.8, as it is a stellar lens also. It draws with a bit more crispness, but still an extremely good option. I shoot one on an M8, and have zero complaints. No RE issues, but that may be a result of the cropped sensor, yet I have not heard others mention any issues when shooting on an M9. If you really want the Leica glass, then by all means go that way. However, when I was looking for that length back when I got the M8, the Leica lenses were not looking as nice as the Zeiss 25 to me. Your mileage may vary.....just offering up another option to think about.

LJ

mjm6

LJ,

I have used some of the Zeiss lenses, and in general I prefer the Leica glass. That's unfortunate, because it ends up costing me a lot more money!

I haven't tried the 25mm Zeiss, and I know that it has a very good reputation, but from all accounts, it tends to have higher contrast, and the OOF areas feel a bit 'edgy'. I generally prefer the rendering of the V3 35mm summicron to the more modern ASPH version in this respect.

---Michael

thrice

Hate to re-post an image, but here is a single exposure with no filters on the M9, taken with the 25mm Biogon.

I'd say contrast is not much of an issue (contrast increased greatly in post).

Out of focus areas aren't edgy in my experience. But I would agree it is similar to the Leica 35 cron asph in terms of OOF rendering.

oc garza

I wouldn't lend to much credibility to ancedotal evidence, but I use the 24 elmarit on the m9: sharp, wonderful color balance and great bokeh. Don't know that I would recognize RE if I saw it but who cares? My 24 is coded. I know you can't tell much with jpgs but here is a 1/30th exposure, wide open in a very dark elementary cafeteria at a Census event.

rjones

You might want to consider the Leica 24/3.8 ASPH. It is among the least expensive Leica WA lenses---and is nicely compact as well. Unless you want f1.4 to f2.8, it is hard to beat.

For example, between f5.6 and f8, it has amazingly low distortion. Compare the 40 MTF tracing (40 represents resolution; 5-10 represents contrast), with any other WA of similar range---no waviness consistent with mustache distortion (look at the 24/2.8 ASPH, or even the 35/1.4 ASPH, for mustache-waviness in the 40 MTF tracing).

At f8, this lens has the MTF of a short telephoto: flat. Such low distortion should make it among the best WAs for stitching as well, being sharp over the whole FF from around f5.6 to f8.

akiralx

Yes, unless you need the speed the 24mm f/3.8 Elmar is hard to beat. I had this and the Elmarit for a while and sold the latter.

Kphelan

Michael, you might want to check out Sean Reid's review of the Elmar. He compares it with the Elmarit, and w/o butchering his copyright too badly, below is the first paragraph of his review in its entirety:

"The Leica 24/3.8 Elmar ASPH is a superb lens."

He goes on to test both lenses, as well as a CV 25mm. The only downside for you is he used an M8 body for his tests. Reid Reviews is a pay site, IMO well worth the money. Many other reviews of lenses you already own or may be considering.

I have owned a 24 Elmarit since film days. Heretofore I could not imagine a better alternative. But if I were starting fresh with a new M9 I would give the newer Elmar an extremely close look.

---Kent

mathomas

Great pictures, each in its own way! I love my 25mm Biogon as well, but I shoot it on an M8.

Hate to re-post an image, but here is a single exposure with no filters on the M9, taken with the 25mm Biogon.

I'd say contrast is not much of an issue (contrast increased greatly in post).

Out of focus areas aren't edgy in my experience. But I would agree it is similar to the Leica 35 cron asph in terms of OOF rendering.

W

wilsonlaidlaw

I cannot recommend the Zeiss 25 Biogon. It seems to be completely incapable of finding its way through French customs - no sense of direction at all. The ex-demo one I bought from Tony at Popflash has now been stuck there for over two weeks. They have been sent copies of every bit of paper you could think of but still no movement. No doubt at some point they will send me a bill for import duties, collection charge, customs officer retirement fund, Sarkozy bribe allowance and VAT on the whole lot. The French seem to have caught up with the UK and now charge customs fees on all small packages. Until very recently they did not bother with non-commercial shipments. Not as bad however as Italian customs, who charge you all those fees (Berlusconi bribe fee in place of Sarkozy) and then just steal your goods. I see a lot of eBay sellers from the far east and the US will no longer send to Italy.

Wilson