The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

M9 L plate

TimWright

RRS has an "L" plate coming that replaces the camera base plate and the vertical portion is removable, looks pretty cool. Available in May but no price yet.

oc garza

I had inquired (as have many others who use the M9 on tripods from time to time) to RRS a few weeks back if they planned a new tripod bracket for the M9. This arrived in my email :

"Due to popular demand, Really Right Stuff is creating a custom plate for the Leica M8 and M9 cameras. This new Leica plate will be unlike any other ever made.

The passionate voices of our Leica shooters dictated a fresh approach to the design of this plate. Instead of a standard L-plate that mounts to the camera's tripod socket, our plate actually completely replaces the Leica base. This replacement base will have an integrated dovetail for mounting in a Really Right Stuff clamp. Use the base alone as a conventional plate, or add an optional vertical component to create the L-plate. This vertical component will screw precisely to the base using our standard hex key.

Excited about this design, but still want to use a grip? No problem. Add the optional grip; the grip will screw to the other side of the base.

Innovative. Superior support. It's "Really Right.""

I already use Luigi's replacement bottom place that allows battery and SD card replacement without removing the bottom plate. So I will be curious about two things; first, does the new RRS bottom plate allow changing the battery and card without removing the entire plate and second, if not, will there be a "standard" L plate for the M9 for those who do not want the new bottom plate.

cly

RRS has an "L" plate coming that replaces the camera base plate and the vertical portion is removable, looks pretty cool. Available in May but no price yet.
That sounds great - do you have a link to an image? I've not succeeded in finding more than a textual reference to the plate on their web site.

thanks
--chris

thrice

Just got an e-mail with a prototype render.

I know of at least one user actively testing a prototype.