The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Y-strap - I like it

Tony C.

Looks pretty cool . Not sure i would use it other than a small sensor camera or M8 though. I do agree with Robert how much can that one lug handle. I know there strong but makes you wonder
I have been using it with my M8 and Noctilux, and while this hardly constitutes a comprehensive test, I've had no hint of a problem. Furthermore, the Y-strap inventor has this to say on his site:

I have spoken to many camera makers and each has indicated that there is no issue carrying the weight of a camera with lens from one strap lug. I had a conversation with Leica USA and they indicated that since the M6 (20+ years ago) all strap lugs are steel with two steel screws to hold the lug straight with no lateral movement.

Now I obviously can't vouch for warranty questions, but I sincerely doubt that using this device will cause an M8 lug to break off.

eric_bowles

I've had the Y-strap briefly but haven't gotten used to it yet.

How do you deal with shooting vertically? I shoot with my thumb, holding the M8 from the right side, but either the strap obscures the viewfinder or it chokes my neck....

I'd rather shoot with the thumb rather than holding the left side down and arching my right arm over the top.

Any tips and pointers would be much appreciated!

--eric

Tony C.

How do you deal with shooting vertically?

--eric
This may not help, Eric, but as I use both a grip and Thumbs-Up accessory on my M8, it is very easy and comfortable to hold the camera with my right hand (from above) when I shoot vertically. And the Y-strap, when attached to the left lug, stays completely out of the way under those conditions.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
I have been using it with my M8 and Noctilux, and while this hardly constitutes a comprehensive test, I've had no hint of a problem. Furthermore, the Y-strap inventor has this to say on his site:

I have spoken to many camera makers and each has indicated that there is no issue carrying the weight of a camera with lens from one strap lug. I had a conversation with Leica USA and they indicated that since the M6 (20+ years ago) all strap lugs are steel with two steel screws to hold the lug straight with no lateral movement.

Now I obviously can't vouch for warranty questions, but I sincerely doubt that using this device will cause an M8 lug to break off.
Great thanks Tony , good info to hear

woodyspedden

I have been using it with great success. I tend to do a fair amount of hiking in Rocky country such as Bryce or Arches and a camera swinging from the neck is a real candidate for damage, either cosmetic as it scrubs against rocks, or serious breakage. With the Y strap you are much more confident that you have control of the camera. I use it exclusively with the M bodies and have no idea how it would fare with my D3 and a big zoom. I have no doubt that the ring Stephen uses will hold up fine as it is large and strong. Don't know how the strap attachment on the D3 would do however.

Woody

D

Digital Dude

Actually what we did was cut the attachment rings from the Leica which i think are the best around and than installed them on the Upstrap. The Leica strap is very nice that comes with it but you have to put it on grip side . The Upstrap has grips on both sides so matter how twisted the strap maybe. It will always be on the grip side
Sorry Guy, I'm having a tough time visualizing this Upstrap arrangement or how to go about it. Could you please post a photo for us?
Regards,:eek:

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Just getting some work done from yesterday shoot and will try to shoot something a little later but basically you have to kill the Leica strap and take the attachment pieces off that and install on the upstrap. Leica is sewn in and reason why

D

Digital Dude

Ok Guy, am I correct in assuming the D-ring plastic fastener (slider) fits the Upstarp in the same manner as on the Leica strap?
Regards,

Brian Mosley

Hi Woody,

I use it exclusively with the M bodies and have no idea how it would fare with my D3 and a big zoom. I have no doubt that the ring Stephen uses will hold up fine as it is large and strong. Don't know how the strap attachment on the D3 would do however.

Woody
I don't think the Y-strap is wide enough webbing to spread the load of a D3... Would the D3 + zoom fit in a slingshot? it's a similar concept really... but more heavy duty.

Kind Regards

Brian

woodyspedden

Hi Woody,

I don't think the Y-strap is wide enough webbing to spread the load of a D3... Would the D3 + zoom fit in a slingshot? it's a similar concept really... but more heavy duty.

Kind Regards

Brian
You are probably right about the Y strap width Brian. I don't know anything about the slingshot but will look into it.

Woody

D

Digital Dude

Hi Woody,

Kind Regards

Brian
IMO and based on the video, attaching the D3 to the “Y” would be as clumsy as a car battery.
Regards,

etrigan63

I believe Stephen said on one of his videos that SLRs can be attached using the two included rings to spread the load. I guess that would mean attaching in on the right side of the DSLR where the top & bottom lugs are for a hand grip.

woodyspedden

Well as I said I love the Y strap with the M8. But I will keep the upstrap for the DSLR.s and will use a velcro arrangement to keep it fastened to my chest without swinging when I am hiking.

Woody

S

Sean_Reid

I've had the Y-strap briefly but haven't gotten used to it yet.

How do you deal with shooting vertically? I shoot with my thumb, holding the M8 from the right side, but either the strap obscures the viewfinder or it chokes my neck....

I'd rather shoot with the thumb rather than holding the left side down and arching my right arm over the top.

Any tips and pointers would be much appreciated!

--eric
Hi Eric,

Loosen the strap so its a bit longer. That will give you the room you need for vertical shooting.

Cheers,

Sean

The Upstrap review is on the free LL site: http://www.luminous-landscape.com/reviews/accessories/upstrap.shtml

Greg Seitz

It works well for me. To simplify things I added one of these:

http://www.rei.com/product/771121?cm_sp=prod*desc_rel_item*element

Cost is only $2.25. Now I can attach and release the Y-strap from the camera instantly. I got the #2 size which is rated at 10lbs but they also have a #1 size which is about 1/2 the size rated at 5lbs which should work fine for most cameras - I'm going to try it but my local REI didn't have it in stock. Here's a picture of it attached to the D40x:

eric_bowles

Thanks Tony and Sean.

I find when I try shooting vertically with the left side up, my fingers get in the way of the viewfinder while focusing, so I'd rather use the less obtrusive "right thumb method".

I'll try lengthening the strap. Or maybe I need to attach a Leicagoodies HOOK to increase the distance between the ring and the left lug. My concern is whether the Hook might scratch the viewfinder. (I wouldn't care if it scratched any other part of the body.)

--eric

etrigan63

Eric,
your post made me think about how I held my M8 for vertical shots while using the Y-Strap + HOOK arrangement. Stephen provides two keyrings with the Y-Strap: a larger one and a smaller one. What I did was mount the larger ring on the Y-Strap with the HOOK permanently attached there (via it's fixed end) and then mount the smaller ring on my M8's left lug. I then clip/unclip the HOOK as needed. It's not attached when I place the camera back in my bag so no fear of scratching the viewfinder. Also, I hold my M8 vertically with the right-hand side up and focus using my left index finger on the lens tab/bump and my thumb and remaining three fingers holding the M8 on the top and bottom. If I am unclear I will post a picture of how I hold it.

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
Gosh, the web comes alive.
Now that I am in japan, I can see the web site.
Will wonders never cease.
-bob