Site Sponsors
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Y-strap - I like it

Post Thanks / Like

Y-strap - I like it

After reading Sean's review of the Y-strap, I decided to give it a try. The beautiful weather in Boston yesterday gave me a chance to shoot with it. I still need a little more time to adjust to it, but I definitely like it. The biggest benefit for me is that it stays snug against my body when walking. While using a neck strap, I always need to keep one hand on the camera so it doesn't bang around on my torso -- I walk fast. With the Y-strap, it stays pretty snug on my hip.

Here's a fun shot from my outing on and around Boston Common yesterday with the 28 cron asph (thanks Daniel!).

Haya

Re: Y-strap - I like it

I placed an order for one about 10 days ago... I haven't got any response from the ystrap site, I tried to email them to ask about my order but the email bounced back! :/

Anyone has a contact e-mail address ?

Sean_Reid

Wierd...just call them.

It is a cool strap.

Cheers,

Sean

Haya

Thanks Sean Mark just gave me the correct e-mail address as I'd like to avoid international calls!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Their web site is not viewable from China.
    Maybe something about the word "revolution" in the URL?
    Maybe it is yet to be officially reviewed.
    -bob

Post Thanks / Like

I've had mine for a couple of weeks, and much prefer it to a normal strap. It's comfortable, and so easy to quickly bring the camera to the eye.

I know it's a clicheī, but the simplest solutions are often the most elegant.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I have to chime in here and say I got one too based on Sean's review. I also added a hook from leicagoodies.com to make it easy to attach/detach from my M8 for packing into my camera bag.
    Carlos Echenique | Carlos Echenique Photography |Olympus OM-D E-M1 MK II | Olympus Pen-F - M.Zuiko 17mm f/1.8, M.Zuiko 25mm f/1.8, M.Zuiko 45mm f/1.8, Rokinon 12mm f/2 NCS, M.Zuiko 75mm f/1.8, M.Zuiko 12-40mm f/2.8 PRO, M.Zuiko 40-150mm f/2.8 PRO

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Bob View Post
    Their web site is not viewable from China.
    Maybe something about the word "revolution" in the URL?
    Maybe it is yet to be officially reviewed.
    -bob
    What is the URL for the site?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I'd like to add my thanks to Sean Reid for bringing our attention to this excellent accessory - I'm using it with the Olympus E-420, with any size lens it works fantastically well!

I'm particularly impressed by how fast and smooth you can bring the camera up to the shooting position, and then drop it back down out of sight under your jacket.

Tony is so right, I love simple yet powerful ideas like this... and the materials used for the Y-strap are strong enough to trust.

Highly Recommended!

Kind Regards

Brian

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Here's a quick question, do you have full motion of the arm of the side of the body that the camera sits on? It appears that your arm might bump up against the lens or camera body ... which could get annoying.

Kurt

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hi Kurt,

you can swing the camera all the way back out of the way of your arm, or swing it forward onto your lap if you're driving. When you consider the alternative it's a big improvement.

Kind Regards

Brian

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I wouldn't be hanging my $5,000 M8 plus $5,000 Noctilux off just one strap lug. It might work with the lighter cameras, but there is just too much mass to Leica cameras and lenses to trust doubling the load on the strap lug.

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Looks pretty cool . Not sure i would use it other than a small sensor camera or M8 though. I do agree with Robert how much can that one lug handle. I know there strong but makes you wonder
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Mancuso View Post
    Looks pretty cool . Not sure i would use it other than a small sensor camera or M8 though. I do agree with Robert how much can that one lug handle. I know there strong but makes you wonder

FYI I use the Upstrap on my M8 and Nikons . I think Sean actually did a review on them also.
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

Post Thanks / Like

Likewise I use the upstrap (the smallest size) and attach it with the rings directly to the M8...no quick release. I always carry 2 bodies one on each shoulder hanging directly at my side. The shooting camera sometimes I wrap the strap around my arm to . The only issues I have had (1) worry about someone doing a slash and run ..because the camera is on my hip behind my arm (2) the 2nd camera will swing if you try to get down on the ground(this is a feat for me anyway) but if i drop to me knee..I have to be careful. Guy and Al and a few others put the Leica clasps on the up strap which makes a neat and clean connector to the body. The upstrap never ever slips off your shoulder.

Digital Dude

Hi Mark,
    Glad you like the 28-cron, and as your photo illustrates, itís a great lens though admittedly Iíll be filling the hole with something else. After a few more successful keepersí with my 50-lux, Iíve decided to stay with my Leica and build up a bit more slowly. Back on point, Iím considering the Y~Strap as well although this talk of failed emails and responses has me a bit concerned.
    Regards,

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by glenerrolrd View Post
    Likewise I use the upstrap (the smallest size) and attach it with the rings directly to the M8...no quick release. I always carry 2 bodies one on each shoulder hanging directly at my side. The shooting camera sometimes I wrap the strap around my arm to . The only issues I have had (1) worry about someone doing a slash and run ..because the camera is on my hip behind my arm (2) the 2nd camera will swing if you try to get down on the ground(this is a feat for me anyway) but if i drop to me knee..I have to be careful. Guy and Al and a few others put the Leica clasps on the up strap which makes a neat and clean connector to the body. The upstrap never ever slips off your shoulder.
    Actually what we did was cut the attachment rings from the Leica which i think are the best around and than installed them on the Upstrap. The Leica strap is very nice that comes with it but you have to put it on grip side . The Upstrap has grips on both sides so matter how twisted the strap maybe. It will always be on the grip side

Haya

Quote Originally Posted by Digital Dude View Post
    Hi Mark,
    Glad you like the 28-cron, and as your photo illustrates, itís a great lens though admittedly Iíll be filling the hole with something else. After a few more successful keepersí with my 50-lux, Iíve decided to stay with my Leica and build up a bit more slowly. Back on point, Iím considering the Y~Strap as well although this talk of failed emails and responses has me a bit concerned.
    Regards,
    The e-mail address in the paypal transaction was incorrect they have a diffrent address which Mark provided me with and I received a response from them right away they told me they have already shipped out my Ystrap so I should receive it in a week or so.

So I don't think you should be concerned if you want to get one

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Haya can you post the correct one for folks. thanks Guy

This is all good info. I love great info being posted on the forum

Post Thanks / Like

I have been using it with my M8 and Noctilux, and while this hardly constitutes a comprehensive test, I've had no hint of a problem. Furthermore, the Y-strap inventor has this to say on his site:

I have spoken to many camera makers and each has indicated that there is no issue carrying the weight of a camera with lens from one strap lug. I had a conversation with Leica USA and they indicated that since the M6 (20+ years ago) all strap lugs are steel with two steel screws to hold the lug straight with no lateral movement.

Now I obviously can't vouch for warranty questions, but I sincerely doubt that using this device will cause an M8 lug to break off.

Post Thanks / Like

I've had the Y-strap briefly but haven't gotten used to it yet.

How do you deal with shooting vertically? I shoot with my thumb, holding the M8 from the right side, but either the strap obscures the viewfinder or it chokes my neck....

I'd rather shoot with the thumb rather than holding the left side down and arching my right arm over the top.

Any tips and pointers would be much appreciated!

--eric

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by eric_bowles View Post
    How do you deal with shooting vertically?

--eric
    This may not help, Eric, but as I use both a grip and Thumbs-Up accessory on my M8, it is very easy and comfortable to hold the camera with my right hand (from above) when I shoot vertically. And the Y-strap, when attached to the left lug, stays completely out of the way under those conditions.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Tony C. View Post
    I have been using it with my M8 and Noctilux, and while this hardly constitutes a comprehensive test, I've had no hint of a problem. Furthermore, the Y-strap inventor has this to say on his site:

I have spoken to many camera makers and each has indicated that there is no issue carrying the weight of a camera with lens from one strap lug. I had a conversation with Leica USA and they indicated that since the M6 (20+ years ago) all strap lugs are steel with two steel screws to hold the lug straight with no lateral movement.

Now I obviously can't vouch for warranty questions, but I sincerely doubt that using this device will cause an M8 lug to break off.
    Great thanks Tony , good info to hear

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I have been using it with great success. I tend to do a fair amount of hiking in Rocky country such as Bryce or Arches and a camera swinging from the neck is a real candidate for damage, either cosmetic as it scrubs against rocks, or serious breakage. With the Y strap you are much more confident that you have control of the camera. I use it exclusively with the M bodies and have no idea how it would fare with my D3 and a big zoom. I have no doubt that the ring Stephen uses will hold up fine as it is large and strong. Don't know how the strap attachment on the D3 would do however.

Woody

Haya

The correct e-mail address is :
    [email protected]

Digital Dude

Actually what we did was cut the attachment rings from the Leica which i think are the best around and than installed them on the Upstrap. The Leica strap is very nice that comes with it but you have to put it on grip side . The Upstrap has grips on both sides so matter how twisted the strap maybe. It will always be on the grip side
    Sorry Guy, I'm having a tough time visualizing this Upstrap arrangement or how to go about it. Could you please post a photo for us?
    Regards,

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Just getting some work done from yesterday shoot and will try to shoot something a little later but basically you have to kill the Leica strap and take the attachment pieces off that and install on the upstrap. Leica is sewn in and reason why

Digital Dude

Ok Guy, am I correct in assuming the D-ring plastic fastener (slider) fits the Upstarp in the same manner as on the Leica strap?
    Regards,

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hi Woody,

Quote Originally Posted by woodyspedden View Post
    I use it exclusively with the M bodies and have no idea how it would fare with my D3 and a big zoom. I have no doubt that the ring Stephen uses will hold up fine as it is large and strong. Don't know how the strap attachment on the D3 would do however.

Woody
    I don't think the Y-strap is wide enough webbing to spread the load of a D3... Would the D3 + zoom fit in a slingshot? it's a similar concept really... but more heavy duty.

Kind Regards

Brian

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Mosley View Post
    Hi Woody,

I don't think the Y-strap is wide enough webbing to spread the load of a D3... Would the D3 + zoom fit in a slingshot? it's a similar concept really... but more heavy duty.

Kind Regards

Brian
    You are probably right about the Y strap width Brian. I don't know anything about the slingshot but will look into it.

Woody

Digital Dude

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Mosley View Post
    Hi Woody,

Kind Regards

Brian
    IMO and based on the video, attaching the D3 to the ďYĒ would be as clumsy as a car battery.
    Regards,

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I believe Stephen said on one of his videos that SLRs can be attached using the two included rings to spread the load. I guess that would mean attaching in on the right side of the DSLR where the top & bottom lugs are for a hand grip.
    Carlos Echenique | Carlos Echenique Photography |Olympus OM-D E-M1 MK II | Olympus Pen-F - M.Zuiko 17mm f/1.8, M.Zuiko 25mm f/1.8, M.Zuiko 45mm f/1.8, Rokinon 12mm f/2 NCS, M.Zuiko 75mm f/1.8, M.Zuiko 12-40mm f/2.8 PRO, M.Zuiko 40-150mm f/2.8 PRO

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Digital Dude View Post
    IMO and based on the video, attaching the D3 to the ďYĒ would be as clumsy as a car battery.
    Regards,
    LOL, classic analogy!

Woody, here's a link to the Slingshot...

http://www.amazon.com/Lowepro-SlingS.../dp/B000BAX50G

I use it for the E-3, 12-60, 50-200 SWD + 1.4x TC... with an E-400 in the top compartment and spare bits & bobs.

Kind Regards

Brian

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Well as I said I love the Y strap with the M8. But I will keep the upstrap for the DSLR.s and will use a velcro arrangement to keep it fastened to my chest without swinging when I am hiking.

Woody

Sean_Reid

Quote Originally Posted by eric_bowles View Post
    I've had the Y-strap briefly but haven't gotten used to it yet.

How do you deal with shooting vertically? I shoot with my thumb, holding the M8 from the right side, but either the strap obscures the viewfinder or it chokes my neck....

I'd rather shoot with the thumb rather than holding the left side down and arching my right arm over the top.

Any tips and pointers would be much appreciated!

--eric
    Hi Eric,

Loosen the strap so its a bit longer. That will give you the room you need for vertical shooting.

Cheers,

Sean

The Upstrap review is on the free LL site: http://www.luminous-landscape.com/re.../upstrap.shtml

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

It works well for me. To simplify things I added one of these:

http://www.rei.com/product/771121?cm...l_item*element

Cost is only $2.25. Now I can attach and release the Y-strap from the camera instantly. I got the #2 size which is rated at 10lbs but they also have a #1 size which is about 1/2 the size rated at 5lbs which should work fine for most cameras - I'm going to try it but my local REI didn't have it in stock. Here's a picture of it attached to the D40x:

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Tony and Sean.

I find when I try shooting vertically with the left side up, my fingers get in the way of the viewfinder while focusing, so I'd rather use the less obtrusive "right thumb method".

I'll try lengthening the strap. Or maybe I need to attach a Leicagoodies HOOK to increase the distance between the ring and the left lug. My concern is whether the Hook might scratch the viewfinder. (I wouldn't care if it scratched any other part of the body.)

--eric

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Eric,
    your post made me think about how I held my M8 for vertical shots while using the Y-Strap + HOOK arrangement. Stephen provides two keyrings with the Y-Strap: a larger one and a smaller one. What I did was mount the larger ring on the Y-Strap with the HOOK permanently attached there (via it's fixed end) and then mount the smaller ring on my M8's left lug. I then clip/unclip the HOOK as needed. It's not attached when I place the camera back in my bag so no fear of scratching the viewfinder. Also, I hold my M8 vertically with the right-hand side up and focus using my left index finger on the lens tab/bump and my thumb and remaining three fingers holding the M8 on the top and bottom. If I am unclear I will post a picture of how I hold it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Gosh, the web comes alive.
    Now that I am in japan, I can see the web site.
    Will wonders never cease.
    -bob

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by etrigan63 View Post
    Eric,
    your post made me think about how I held my M8 for vertical shots while using the Y-Strap + HOOK arrangement. Stephen provides two keyrings with the Y-Strap: a larger one and a smaller one. What I did was mount the larger ring on the Y-Strap with the HOOK permanently attached there (via it's fixed end) and then mount the smaller ring on my M8's left lug. I then clip/unclip the HOOK as needed. It's not attached when I place the camera back in my bag so no fear of scratching the viewfinder. Also, I hold my M8 vertically with the right-hand side up and focus using my left index finger on the lens tab/bump and my thumb and remaining three fingers holding the M8 on the top and bottom. If I am unclear I will post a picture of how I hold it.
    Question about the hook. Where do the guys at Leicagoodies suggest you hook the hook? That was what I wasn't sure of. I like the idea of the y strap better than their version because it can be adjusted. Like you I want to be able to unhook the camera. So, to me your idea of ring, hook, ring is very interesting.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I use the hook and clip it to the small key ring that attaches the A&A hand-straps to the body. Tat way, I have a hand-strap more or less permanently affixed to each of my two bodies and clip the neck strap as I please via the hook.
    Pretty convenient and I don't end up having two neck straps cluttering up my bag. In addition, when using a tripod, I loop the hand-strap over the ball head to act as a safety.
    What I am now using for a neck-strap is an upstrap modified as Guy described by replacing its ends with the Leica strap hardware. I end up using the combination pretty much as they describe in the Y-strap web site, so I will try one of theirs.
    -bob

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Sorry I have not taken a shot of this been up since 4 am completely reinstalling my whole computer system. Anyone says you can't get a virus or corrupt something on a Mac is smoking something. Living proof right here i had major system issues from whatever happened in Carmel.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Sorry I have not taken a shot of this been up since 4 am completely reinstalling my whole computer system. Anyone says you can't get a virus or corrupt something on a Mac is smoking something. Living proof right here i had major system issues from whatever happened in Carmel.
    guy

Sadly when Mac switched to Intel their problems with viruses etc went up dramatically it seems. I can tell you that my Desktop Mac Pro crashes every bit as often as did my PC. I still am not sorry I went to MAC because I hear Vista is still a nightmare but the MAC is not the robust machine it was in the days of power pc.

Woody

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by woodyspedden View Post
    You are probably right about the Y strap width Brian. I don't know anything about the slingshot but will look into it.

Woody
    I finally found the straps I was looking for for heavy DSLR's to keep them stable while hiking or climbing.

The products are made by a company called Kinesis www.kgear.com

The first product is called a torso stabilizer strap and the model number is H152 It costs $16,00.

The second product is called B107 (in my size.....yours may vary so will the model number) and is simply called a medium black belt. This is a wide belt to which the torso belt can attach as well as lens holsters, accessory bags etc. It costs $36.00

The way the system works is the torso strap has a loop which goes over the top of the lens on a mounted camera. The strap then holds the camera securely against your stomach and can be tightened so that the camera doesn't sway away from your body as you walk or climb. Very nice product at a low price. A friend of mine has a full Kinesis system (including bags, holsters and stuff) and it is exceedingly well made. Certainly on a par with Think Tank.

Hope this helps for anyone looking at how to stabilize a DSLR

Woody

rik

Quote Originally Posted by TEBnewyork View Post
    Question about the hook. Where do the guys at Leicagoodies suggest you hook the hook? That was what I wasn't sure of. I like the idea of the y strap better than their version because it can be adjusted. Like you I want to be able to unhook the camera. So, to me your idea of ring, hook, ring is very interesting.
    The guys at Leicagoodies, i.e. me, suggest you attach the Hook to the Leicagoodies Strap ring, and then to a lug on your camera. This setup enables you to freely move the camera along the Strap, while still being able to unHook the camera from the Strap when needed. Please also see the relevant sections at our Leicagoodies.com website (Strap and Hook).
    We have been selling our original Strap for many years to a lot of happy customers. Together with our Hook it is the perfect combination for carrying your camera while still having it fully ready for that one shot.
    Our Strap is available for US$ 25 including worldwide shipping, or US$ 45 for a Strap and a Hook including worldwide shipping.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by etrigan63 View Post
    What I did was mount the larger ring on the Y-Strap with the HOOK permanently attached there (via it's fixed end) and then mount the smaller ring on my M8's left lug. I then clip/unclip the HOOK as needed.
    That sounds like a good idea -- I will get a hook and try that combination. With the extra hook and smaller ring, does the camera swing much when hanging from the Y-strap? One of the benefits of the Y-strap is that the camera is snug against the hip and doesn't swing when walking.

--eric

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by rik View Post
    The guys at Leicagoodies, i.e. me, suggest you attach the Hook to the Leicagoodies Strap ring, and then to a lug on your camera. This setup enables you to freely move the camera along the Strap, while still being able to unHook the camera from the Strap when needed. Please also see the relevant sections at our Leicagoodies.com website (Strap and Hook).
    We have been selling our original Strap for many years to a lot of happy customers. Together with our Hook it is the perfect combination for carrying your camera while still having it fully ready for that one shot.
    Our Strap is available for US$ 25 including worldwide shipping, or US$ 45 for a Strap and a Hook including worldwide shipping.
    Thanks,
    I've looked at the strap a number of times and I am not sure the length would work for me. I like things that go across the body to be a bit longer so I will probably end up with a combo of both products. Have you considered an adjustable version?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by TEBnewyork View Post
    Thanks,
    I've looked at the strap a number of times and I am not sure the length would work for me. I like things that go across the body to be a bit longer so I will probably end up with a combo of both products. Have you considered an adjustable version?
    I just grabbed a removeable nylon adjustable shoulder 3/4" strap from a bag & used it today. It had alternate m/f clips on each end, so I adjusted it finally to 36" (18x2) perimeter, added [a 3/4" slip-ring & my LGoodies hook] 2 1/2". With the M8 clipped on (to a permanent 1/2" ring on the M8), the lens of the M8 rests between bottom of my rib cage, and the top of my hip bone (I'm 5'10 tall). The position between the rib cage & hip bone seemed to be the natural, unobtrusive place to carry it, with no forces applied to it while walking. I would not, however, go to an American political rally wearing a coat with this rig underneath (I saw that movie ). This is home-built & I think I'd like that soft 1" tubular nylon from a Y strap, better than the 3/4" ubiquitous black nylon for shoulder/neck pressure. Strap, connector & adjuster shown on chest side for illustrative purposes only, obviously you'd wear this at the back.

[canon g6 got the colours right but must have pre-focused when I pressed the self timer on the back wall]

robert

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thanks Robert.

Only issue is a gender difference that would make your solution particularly uncomfortable for me.