The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Y-strap - I like it

After reading Sean's review of the Y-strap, I decided to give it a try. The beautiful weather in Boston yesterday gave me a chance to shoot with it. I still need a little more time to adjust to it, but I definitely like it. The biggest benefit for me is that it stays snug against my body when walking. While using a neck strap, I always need to keep one hand on the camera so it doesn't bang around on my torso -- I walk fast. With the Y-strap, it stays pretty snug on my hip.

Here's a fun shot from my outing on and around Boston Common yesterday with the 28 cron asph (thanks Daniel!).

H

Haya

I placed an order for one about 10 days ago... I haven't got any response from the ystrap site, I tried to email them to ask about my order but the email bounced back! :/

Anyone has a contact e-mail address ?

S

Sean_Reid

Wierd...just call them.

It is a cool strap.

Cheers,

Sean

H

Haya

Thanks Sean Mark just gave me the correct e-mail address as I'd like to avoid international calls!

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
Their web site is not viewable from China.
Maybe something about the word "revolution" in the URL?
Maybe it is yet to be officially reviewed.
-bob

Tony C.

I've had mine for a couple of weeks, and much prefer it to a normal strap. It's comfortable, and so easy to quickly bring the camera to the eye.

I know it's a cliche´, but the simplest solutions are often the most elegant.

etrigan63

I have to chime in here and say I got one too based on Sean's review. I also added a hook from leicagoodies.com to make it easy to attach/detach from my M8 for packing into my camera bag.

Brian Mosley

I'd like to add my thanks to Sean Reid for bringing our attention to this excellent accessory - I'm using it with the Olympus E-420, with any size lens it works fantastically well!

I'm particularly impressed by how fast and smooth you can bring the camera up to the shooting position, and then drop it back down out of sight under your jacket.

Tony is so right, I love simple yet powerful ideas like this... and the materials used for the Y-strap are strong enough to trust.

Highly Recommended!

Kind Regards

Brian

KurtKamka

Subscriber Member
Here's a quick question, do you have full motion of the arm of the side of the body that the camera sits on? It appears that your arm might bump up against the lens or camera body ... which could get annoying.

Kurt

Brian Mosley

Hi Kurt,

you can swing the camera all the way back out of the way of your arm, or swing it forward onto your lap if you're driving. When you consider the alternative it's a big improvement.

Kind Regards

Brian

robsteve

Subscriber
I wouldn't be hanging my $5,000 M8 plus $5,000 Noctilux off just one strap lug. It might work with the lighter cameras, but there is just too much mass to Leica cameras and lenses to trust doubling the load on the strap lug.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Looks pretty cool . Not sure i would use it other than a small sensor camera or M8 though. I do agree with Robert how much can that one lug handle. I know there strong but makes you wonder

Guy Mancuso

Looks pretty cool . Not sure i would use it other than a small sensor camera or M8 though. I do agree with Robert how much can that one lug handle. I know there strong but makes you wonder

FYI I use the Upstrap on my M8 and Nikons . I think Sean actually did a review on them also.

glenerrolrd

Workshop Member
Likewise I use the upstrap (the smallest size) and attach it with the rings directly to the M8...no quick release. I always carry 2 bodies one on each shoulder hanging directly at my side. The shooting camera sometimes I wrap the strap around my arm to . The only issues I have had (1) worry about someone doing a slash and run ..because the camera is on my hip behind my arm (2) the 2nd camera will swing if you try to get down on the ground(this is a feat for me anyway) but if i drop to me knee..I have to be careful. Guy and Al and a few others put the Leica clasps on the up strap which makes a neat and clean connector to the body. The upstrap never ever slips off your shoulder.:thumbup:

D

Digital Dude

Hi Mark,
Glad you like the 28-cron, and as your photo illustrates, it’s a great lens though admittedly I’ll be filling the hole with something else. After a few more successful keepers’ with my 50-lux, I’ve decided to stay with my Leica and build up a bit more slowly. Back on point, I’m considering the Y~Strap as well although this talk of failed emails and responses has me a bit concerned.
Regards,:rolleyes:

Guy Mancuso

Likewise I use the upstrap (the smallest size) and attach it with the rings directly to the M8...no quick release. I always carry 2 bodies one on each shoulder hanging directly at my side. The shooting camera sometimes I wrap the strap around my arm to . The only issues I have had (1) worry about someone doing a slash and run ..because the camera is on my hip behind my arm (2) the 2nd camera will swing if you try to get down on the ground(this is a feat for me anyway) but if i drop to me knee..I have to be careful. Guy and Al and a few others put the Leica clasps on the up strap which makes a neat and clean connector to the body. The upstrap never ever slips off your shoulder.:thumbup:
Actually what we did was cut the attachment rings from the Leica which i think are the best around and than installed them on the Upstrap. The Leica strap is very nice that comes with it but you have to put it on grip side . The Upstrap has grips on both sides so matter how twisted the strap maybe. It will always be on the grip side

H

Haya

Hi Mark,
Glad you like the 28-cron, and as your photo illustrates, it’s a great lens though admittedly I’ll be filling the hole with something else. After a few more successful keepers’ with my 50-lux, I’ve decided to stay with my Leica and build up a bit more slowly. Back on point, I’m considering the Y~Strap as well although this talk of failed emails and responses has me a bit concerned.
Regards,:rolleyes:
The e-mail address in the paypal transaction was incorrect they have a diffrent address which Mark provided me with and I received a response from them right away they told me they have already shipped out my Ystrap so I should receive it in a week or so.

So I don't think you should be concerned if you want to get one :)

Guy Mancuso

Haya can you post the correct one for folks. thanks Guy

This is all good info. I love great info being posted on the forum