The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Leica Roadshow

krkbigboy

I attended the Roadshow in DC last Friday and felt it was money well spent. There was a Leica photographer on hand and a Leica sales rep. The photographers presentation covered the M9, recommendations for using it and covered set up etc. He also discussed workflow and demoed the new version of Lightroom. There were also 9 M9's that were passed around to follow with the presentation and maybe 15 lenses that could be demoed and tested.

The guest photographer who spoke for about 45 minutes is the lead photographer at the White House for NBC.

Overall I found it informative and all of my questions were answered.

iiiNelson

Just came from it and the money was well spent. I actually will be in Austin on the 13th for a wedding. I figured I'd be pushing my luck to attend in Austin with my busy schedule plus seeing family and friends too. I agree it was $99 well spent if you are considering the camera because if you buy one then you pretty much attended for free.

The best part is getting tips from other users/owners along with the advice of the company and professionals. You can also easily build other relationships as there were a few dealers present and enthusiasts from all walks of life (to include the helicopter pilot sitting next to me) and even a few Apple employees who tried to convert me to Aperture 3 from Lightroom. I was told that future M9 will start coming with LR3 once it's released so maybe I will hold off a bit longer and take up the Apple guys on Aperture 3. All around it was a great experience and I'm looking forward to doing some workshops when work (and life) permits.

iiiNelson

As for the bad part... You will want every lens they make as they bring EVERYTHING that's currently in production. I personally think I'll start my kit with some variation of 21/35/75 and then eventually replace my CV 28/2 and 50/1.5 with Leica variants... Eventually.

iiiNelson

Oh and to start rumors apparently Leica is looking closely (possibly in house) at the development of backlit sensors so the M9 could effectively be the last of the CCD based Digital M-System camera. The advantage would be that the electronics are behind the chip hence the possibility of a slightly thinner M with improved IQ.