The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Flash SF-58 with M9 , how good?

deepdiver

Hi guys

While I'm waiting for M9 to be delivery this week, i want to have some advise for Leica SF-58 Flash :D

How good is this flash with M9 ??
is it as smart as SB 800 / SB 900 ? In Nikon DSLR, i never had any problem with these 2 flashes.
with direct flash or bounce flash, everything come out just nice.

Can i expect the same performace with SB 800/900 ? :)
For example : M9 + SF-59 for bounce flash = perfect result, just like in Nikon DSLR.

Thank You

Andre

Udo

Andre,

unfortunately I can't comment on exactly this combo, but on the M8.2 this flash works perfectly. Predictable and good results.This flash unit is basically a MZ58 (made by Metz) which I already used on my Nikon system (MZ58i-Nikon) and so it wasn't that new to me. Compared to a SB-800 it has the second reflector unit which is a very welcome feature. Originally I started to use my M8.2 with a MZ54 unit (predecessor of MZ58) via SCA-Adaptor just to share it with my H2, but didn't like the fact of setting aperture values on that flash unit, which pushed me towards buying this SF58. I did not regret until now. And quality wise Metz is a no brainer, at least for me. My oldest Metz flash, a CT-45, bought in 1978, is still working!!!

Regards,
Udo

deepdiver

Hi Udo, thx you for the input for M8.2 + SF 58 :)
that's really nice to hear that.

Anymore input for M9 + SF 58 ?