The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

DIYing the M8 with Griptac

J

John Campbell

Hey all, new to the forum and I just wanted to pass on my experience with replacing the covering on my M8. I got the black Griptac cover from CameraLeather.com. The whole job took about 10 minutes including peeling off the old covering. I used the "wet method" as shown on the web site's help section. Couldn't be easier! So what do I think of it? Awesome! I can't describe the difference it makes in how the camera feels. I had the Leica grip on before the change and the M8 kit came with an extra piece of covering for the grip. I haven't switched the covering on the grip yet because I'm not sure I'm going to be using it anymore. I've always had a love-hate relationship with the grip and I'm going to try doing without it for a while. Take care, jc

JWW

I just did mine with the vulcanette and it was easier than expected. I used the dry method. This covering makes the M8 look like a classic M.

Jan

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Hi John and welcome to the forum! Great first post by the way!!!

vieri

Did both my M8s as well with Griptac using the dry method - perfect, and it makes a HUGE difference in handling the cameras! Will do it on my MP too soon ;)

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Welcome to the forum . Have to say that looks nice . Do they sell the grip for the leica grip also. i may want to do this if so

D

Digital Dude

Hi John,
Wow, that is one ominous looking arrangement!
Regards,:thumbup:

J

John Campbell

Welcome to the forum . Have to say that looks nice . Do they sell the grip for the leica grip also. i may want to do this if so
The M8 kit was $44 and I did mention in my email to CameraLeather that I needed a piece for the Leica grip. What I got was the body cover, a precut piece for the Leica Grip and the small piece used as a thumb grip on the back of the camera. I'm not sure if this is the way every M8 kit comes or they threw in the extras because I asked. The kit isn't orderable thru CameraLeather's shopping cart yet, so you have to send them an email and they'll send you back a PayPal invoice.

Guy, if your asking can you buy just the piece for the grip, I can't say, but the guys at CL are easy to work with. Just send them an email and I'm sure they'll get you whatever you need. jc

vieri

Thanks John appreciate the info.
Re: grip, I didn't mention it at all (I don't even own one) but folks at Cameraleather included the grip cover as well (as a perk I suppose) which is indeed very useful for spares, to cover other areas of the M8 (right thumb area) and such. Great product, great CS: very recommended.

robsteve

Subscriber
Hmmm... I'll try again. I need some griptac for my 560's thumb lock button.
Doug:

Call or email them. I bought a M3 kit from them a few months back and I bet the piece that they cut out for the ASA dial on the M back is big enough to fit. You could also measure the diameter you need and they just might have a scrap the exact size.

Robert

doug

Doug:

Call or email them. I bought a M3 kit from them a few months back and I bet the piece that they cut out for the ASA dial on the M back is big enough to fit. You could also measure the diameter you need and they just might have a scrap the exact size.

Robert
Thanks Robert, my first e-mail was not answered. I'll give them a call.

jaapv

Subscriber Member
Doug, I have the impression they are not always organized as well as they could be - just repeat the mail. They are a good outfit and the merchandise is first class.

M

matmcdermott

I will second the quality of their kits as well as ease of application. Though perhaps the reason "they" seem to be somewhat unorganized is that "they" is really "him". I never got the impression that Morgan has much assistance and every kit for the M8 is prepared to order.

Bob Parsons

I will second the quality of their kits as well as ease of application. Though perhaps the reason "they" seem to be somewhat unorganized is that "they" is really "him". I never got the impression that Morgan has much assistance and every kit for the M8 is prepared to order.
Also I think there has been illness in the family so it's not always so easy for him. His products are first class.

Bob.

D

Digital Dude

I just heard from Morgan and he dose in fact have to travel due to family issues. He’s currently applying the Griptac to my Leica Grip. If I like it, then I’ll send in the camera.
Regards,:lecture:

Reynolds

Workshop Member
I just put on CameraLeather's Griptac. Great product and easy install using the dry method. What a difference in handling. Great grip!!! See pics.

Regards,

Reynolds

JPlomley

I'm heading down to VT in June to check out the Goat Skin Walnut; curious to see how this looks on a black M8. My feeling is a dark brown leather will nicely complement the black finish; I'll leave the grip black for contrast. I'll post the post-operative results should I pimp my Meight.