The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

What's up with the M9s

sven

I see a spate of M9s for sale. There are 5 cameras for sale in the last 2 days in FM forums excluding 1 already sold 5 days back. I think 3 of the the same sellers have posted here too.

This number is more than any other individual canon or nikon camera for sale, which is the most surprising aspect. What is going on.:confused:

Sven

docmoore

Subscriber and Workshop Member
Situation Normal. Buy and Try, then sell. :)

Happens to every cam, sooner or later...
And when the price of entry is high enough to allow a lateral move to almost any other nonMFDB camera sooner is the norm.

Bob

glenerrolrd

Workshop Member
They can still command a premium (used) that will evaporate when you can buy new from places like B&H. So buy and try works best if you move on before the crowd of early adopters.

charlesphoto

One can buy a whole heck of a lot of Panasonic's and Ricoh's for the cost of an M9 and lens, and those are actually what many people most need and would actually be happier with but the red dot hype got to them. RF's are a commitment (to practice, practice, and practice some more). Took me years to get fully comfortable with one, and that was using film.

Scargos2

At $7,000. can be a hard ship for some, buyers remorse. $7,000 what did I do?
What was I thinking!!!!!

57guy

I'm selling my M9 because I don't like it. I've posted this elsewhere, but I ordered a X1 6 Months ago and a M9 three months ago with the intention of keeping the first one that arrived and cancel the other. They arrived at the same time.
I opened the boxes not knowing which one to keep. Everyone advised me to keep both. They said,they are the two best cameras in the world, I will love them once I get used to them etc. I'm not rich, but can still eat and pay the bills if I kept both.

I'm like a lot of people. I'm a gadget hound, who likes buying the latest equipment. I enjoy buying as much if not more, than actually using it. I bought a 35mm f/2 so that I could use the M9 and took about 50 exposures with it. Of the 50. I canceled 48 of them and should have deleted the other two.

I've had several hundred cameras in the last 40 years starting with the Argus C3. Back then I loved it. But when auto focus, auto exposure, Zoom lens, DOF preview, etc came out, I loved that also.

I have a Canon 5D MK ll with 4 lenses that I got tired of carrying around with 500 options in the menu and this is the reason I bought the Leicas. I love the X1 because it is small and has auto focus. I'm going to keep the X1 and go back to the Canon.

I think the M9 is a wonderful peace of art and a very good camera. I'm just not a good enough photographer to appreciate it and its too much money to leave in a drawer.

Glenn

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Glenn,

I think that you're an atypical case because most people last a bit longer than 50 shots with a 35 'cron to decide, but I do understand your thinking. If the X1 had not arrived at the same time as the M9 perhaps you'd have grown accustomed to the camera and got better results from it. However, if the X1 does the job that you want then it certainly makes no sense sitting on the investment.

You might want to consider rental to start with as it might be cheaper ... :toocool: