The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

LED screen kaput

jlm

Workshop Member
took the camera on an outing to find the main LED screen was not functioning. it comes on, showing a partial smear, not any sort of change when pressing menu, set or play. image count/battery display works, as does the shutter. no joy from a battery pull/reset. camera was in the trunk for a five hour ride, but in its foam lined bag, normal temps. did hit a few nasty bumps on the BQE (for you NY folk).
will be sending it off to nj?

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
John,
Bummer-
Try taking the battery out for a 15 seconds or so and see if it gets better if you haven't already done so.
Then I am afraid that it does sound like a trip to the spa (or is it torture chamber) in NJ is in order.
-bob

jlm

Workshop Member
seems right, guy. when i smack it with my hand, the word "iso" pops up briefly and some of the line/smears change a bit

jlm

Workshop Member
you know, that occurred to me: no chimping, wait till later to "develop" your shots i could put a fake 7 over the 8...

I am sorry to hear about your ailing M8 lcd. Irakly makes a good and optimistic point about your M8 problem, but I don't know how well I would do without checking the histogram regularly - it is so important with the lower dynamic range of digital. At least you can spend some quality time with your Hassy CFV while the M8 is away for repair.

irakly

I am sorry to hear about your ailing M8 lcd. Irakly makes a good and optimistic point about your M8 problem, but I don't know how well I would do without checking the histogram regularly - it is so important with the lower dynamic range of digital. At least you can spend some quality time with your Hassy CFV while the M8 is away for repair.
latitude, you mean? evidently, you have not shot much slide film :) half stop over, and you are screwed...

woodyspedden

Yep, you are probably correct on both accounts. It has been many years since I shot slide film.:D:D
Well I am shooting slide film (Velvia) again with my V Camera while I await the Hassy CWD. Love the look and feel but exposure is a bit of a @all buster don't you know. Irakley speaks correctly about overexposure but then he knows what he is doing.

Woody

jlm

Workshop Member
heard a rumor that Leica NJ brought in some german experts to spiff up their service; tomorrow i'm out there.

jlm

Workshop Member
dropped it off today, was told a minimum of 4 weeks. It will definitely be fixed in NJ and no need to send cameras to germany any longer! they are now pointedly making an effort to reply within a week with an estimate to all customers. was told they have an extra technician now.

jonoslack

Hi Jim
sorry to hear about the hassle - I hope it all works out okay as fast as possible.
Just don't get involved in that slide film stuff :banghead:

jlm

Workshop Member
Lately i've been scanning 35mm slides from an old trip, about 400 of them. that will satisfy any urges to go back to film

Stuart Richardson

Sorry to hear the trouble about your LCD John. The BQE is a harsh mistress. One unavoidable tank trap on the BQE broke the right front strut on my car. I consider it the worst road in America, and sadly I am regularly reminded as to why. I was on it twice today...

As for the repair, I hope that it is done quickly and efficiently.

jlm

Workshop Member
got my camera back, all fixed and with FW 1.201; which seems like a newer one than I had?
Leica NJ kindly sped up the process...3 weeks door to door

thanks Leica.