The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

I am getting along fine with the Summilux 75/1.4

J

Jose_Salcedo

It will take some time to get adjusted to, but this is a wonderful lens on the M9.

ampguy

No, but when close up at 1.4, I will focus bracket if I can. I do have a 1.25x magnifier, but don't use it. I probably should if I were planning on a long session wide open and up close.

Do you use magnifier or something to focus at wide open?
Thank you.
Hiromu

Stuart Richardson

This may get me killed, but just because it has 1.4 does not mean you need to shoot it at 1.4! It's nice to have, and it has a certain look, but much of that look is retained at smaller apertures like f/2, 2.8, f/4 etc. And these give you a much better chance at nailing the focus. Some might ask why not just get a summicron then? Because there IS a different look, particularly from f/2 to f/3.5/4. The summilux is creamier. And of course, you still have 1.4 for when you really need it.

Surprise! the bokeh is still nice at f/4:

I think this is wide open though...

The difference? The first can be printed very large. The second is too soft to print larger than 11x14. It is not really a nice soft in this case, but a muddy soft. 1.4 is a great tool, but it has to be chosen carefully. If you can, it is usually better to shoot stopped down a little bit at least. Yes, the second photo is better, but it would not have changed much if I had shot it at f/2 or f/2.8...it just would have been more printable and sharper.

ampguy

Possibly, some of the images here were taken stopped down to 2.8 or 4, and maybe could have been taken with a cron or summarit, though I wouldn't want to take the chance.

This may get me killed, but just because it has 1.4 does not mean you need to shoot it at 1.4! It's nice to have, and it has a certain look, but much of that look is retained at smaller apertures like f/2, 2.8, f/4 etc. And these give you a much better chance at nailing the focus. Some might ask why not just get a summicron then? Because there IS a different look, particularly from f/2 to f/3.5/4. The summilux is creamier. And of course, you still have 1.4 for when you really need it.

Surprise! the bokeh is still nice at f/4:

I think this is wide open though...

The difference? The first can be printed very large. The second is too soft to print larger than 11x14. It is not really a nice soft in this case, but a muddy soft. 1.4 is a great tool, but it has to be chosen carefully. If you can, it is usually better to shoot stopped down a little bit at least. Yes, the second photo is better, but it would not have changed much if I had shot it at f/2 or f/2.8...it just would have been more printable and sharper.

J

Jose_Salcedo

My 75/1.4 lens exhibited wrond focusing on the M9 and I sent it back to Solms for calibration. Should be back soon, and I am excited to use it. It is a special lens that requires somewhat special handling - the lens has a strong personality, say -, but it is an outstanding lens. Not as sharp as the 75/2.0 Asph., but equality good in a different way.

glenerrolrd

Workshop Member
I think Stuart s point (if I might add to it) is that the 75 summilux does not require shooting wide open to demonstrate excellent bokeh. The point to add is that the bokeh of the summilux is different from say the 75 summicron even if they are used at the same aperture.

ashwinrao1

Lovely portrait, Peter! I elected to sell my 75 lux. As lovely a rendering as it made, it was just too big to be part of a regular kit for me. Plus the 75 cron has lovely close focus performance

J

Jose_Salcedo

@Peter,

Great portrait!

My 75/1.4 is still in Solms to be fixed, but I just received today a 75/2, so I will be having a lot of fun in the coming few days. I will give you my impressions later.

Knorp

Hi there Jose,
I'm sorry for your bad fortune with your copy, hope you'll have it back tip-top any day soon.
Still love my 75'cron, but I prefer my 75'lux nowadays.

Kind regards.

Last edited:
J

Jose_Salcedo

@Knorp

Very nice images, Knorp! I am enjoying the 75/2.0 asph very much, but I have much curiosity to test the 75/1.4 when it arrives.