Site Sponsors

Thread: I really Like Lux 24 :)

Post Thanks / Like

I really Like Lux 24 :)

This lens is really a magic!
    took some pictures yesterday during a scuba diving trip.
    at @F1.4 this lens will show u the "magic"
    Some pics takem with F1.4

Andree
    Leica M9 | SE 18 | Lux 24 | Lux 50 | ZM 35 | Nikon D700 | 35/1.8 | 45 PC-E | 50/1.4 | 70-200 VR II | SB 800+600 |SF 58|

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: I really Like Lux 24 :)

Hi Andree,

Beautiful shots! This lens definitely produces a beatiful Boke.

I really like the way your photos frame when posted, if your willing to share, I'd love to know the settings you use to post your images!

Thanks, Gary P

Post Thanks / Like

Picture 4 is an example of why I find focusing such a problem with the M system. You had to focus the center of the frame on the child (I presume your daughter) on the right, then recompose, then shoot. If you are at f/1.4, how on earth did you keep the camera from moving forward or back when you recomposed? I would have ended up with OOF on the right side.

BTW it's a terrific shot, Adree.

Post Thanks / Like

Tom - you can crop to create the composition in post, or center compose, re-frame and then pull focus slightly forward. That last step is a bit of guess work, but after awhile it gets easier as you learn the lens. Sometimes leaning forward just slightly is enough to correct for the change in focus distance.

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Gary, thank you
    I believe I was using Aperture mode on M9, and set the aperture to F1.4 + Auto Shade WB + Exp +0.7 , nothing really special

Hi Tom, thx, glad that you like the pics as well.
    Basically I did what John said
    First I focus the face of the girl, then I just re-frame it.
    I did not have the 24mm viewfinder yet, so I have to guess a bit for the framing.
    Today my 24mm external viewfinder will be delivered.
    Leica M9 | SE 18 | Lux 24 | Lux 50 | ZM 35 | Nikon D700 | 35/1.8 | 45 PC-E | 50/1.4 | 70-200 VR II | SB 800+600 |SF 58|

Post Thanks / Like

more shots from lux 24

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tom in mpls View Post
    Picture 4 is an example of why I find focusing such a problem with the M system. You had to focus the center of the frame on the child (I presume your daughter) on the right, then recompose, then shoot. If you are at f/1.4, how on earth did you keep the camera from moving forward or back when you recomposed? I would have ended up with OOF on the right side.

Tom, IMHO this is the most serious disadvantage of all Leica rangefinders when compared to DSLRs with selective focus points. The problem is especially frustrating the wider and faster a lens is. I use the 24mm elmarit on the M9 and even at 2.8 you cannot nail focus everytime after recomposing.

I submit that the M10 needs to ...
    1) enlarge the focusing patch considerably...
    2) change to an "X" shaped focus patch extending almost to the edge of the frame with the traditional block in the center or ...
    3) evolve to a moveable focus patch that reads pupil movement to shift the patch to the spot in the viewfinder that you want to focus on.

I doubt any are possible when the next generation of digital rangefinder debuts, but I hope Leica at least has a focus patch improvement on the radar. Afterall they have been using the center focusing patch for what, fifty years?

O.C.

Post Thanks / Like

With practice, recomposing can be overcome with the subject in focus.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hacker View Post
    I have been using Leicas with wide angles for 30 years so sure, you develop a technique that works most of the time. But if one is really composing with the subject near the frame edge, razor sharp focus becomes more "iffy." And one of the reasons this is so frustrating is because of the wonderful viewfinder in the Leica. You can really push the limits on your composition but having to focus then recompose - with super thin dof in many cases - the results are not always there (even with wide angles). Again, having used Canon DSLRs with adjustable focus points, sharp focus is a "given" with the technology Canon uses; it is almost always operator error when you do not have sharp focus on the subject of choice.

I just don't know if an "x" shaped focusing patch is possible in the next generation of Leica RFs, given the complexity of rangefinder construction.

Post Thanks / Like

I have no doubt that you have developed great skill, and that with practice I can improve my own. Luck is also a good friend to have in order to successfully shoot at large aperture/thin DOF with the focus-recompose technique.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by John Black View Post
    Tom - you can ... center compose, re-frame and then pull focus slightly forward. That last step is a bit of guess work, but after awhile it gets easier as you learn the lens. Sometimes leaning forward just slightly is enough to correct for the change in focus distance.
    Yes, it is all about knowing your M lenses, isn't it? The rangefinder way...

Post Thanks / Like

No 4 is a magic shot, the 21 lux really shines there. Not other lens can do that shot.

Post Thanks / Like

"Red edge" showing on the bottom right of the picture?

Quote Originally Posted by deepdiver View Post
    more shots from lux 24

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Sorry for the snapshot-like content, but I know of no other lens that could have gotten the shot @ 2.0

JAAP
    http://www.jaapvphotography.eu
    The colours of my generation are black and white.

aprillove20

Awesome set of photos. This lens definitely produces a beautiful.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

another series with the 24 Summilux.

Starting the airplane:

and just for fun one with the Nikon 24/1.4

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I never focus re-compose and adjust focus. I've learned to keep my back arched and laterally sway left or right in parallel with the focus plane. (I learned that one from dodging punches to the face in Karate. ) Side-to-side, never back-and-forth. Try it ... with just a little practice it's easy to master. It's how I focus the 50/0.95 and 75/1.4, as well as the 21 and 24 Luxes with a pretty good keeper rate.

I use the same technique with the center (more sensitive) center point on DSLRs because it's to slow to be wheeling the focus point to-and-fro and still capture the decisive moment ... which is gone before you can get the focus point wheeled over to the right place.

-Marc

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by fotografz View Post
    I use the same technique with the center (more sensitive) center point on DSLRs because it's to slow to be wheeling the focus point to-and-fro and still capture the decisive moment ... which is gone before you can get the focus point wheeled over to the right place.

-Marc
    As you say Marc . . . if you have time to move the focus point in an SLR, then you've got the time in an M as well.
    Interesting technique - I must try it, I've nailed the focus and recompose pretty well, but like everything else it takes practice.

all the best

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like

Here is one example using the M8:

Subscriber & Workshop Member GrahamWelland's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Regardless of the 'lux or focus technique, that's a neat photo.

Post Thanks / Like

I have the lux and find it unbelievably useful photographing a project inside the bowels of old buildings, often in very low light with light streaming in. This lens holds an extreme contrast range well. Beautiful rendering, very sharp, nice OOF... magnificent and I have found myself using it about 50% of the time indoors.

This brings me to the off centre focus issue. Technically, if you focus on something pointing straight at it then swing away so it is off centre, the plane changes and so does the required focus distance, but in reality it matters less than you think inless making extreme changes with very fast lenses. it does catch me out once in a while, but so do the off centre focus patches on my EOS! With my 85 1.2L, the centre patch is more reliable, even through recomposition, where the subjects eyes end up 1/3 of the way down a vertical frame, than using the off centre patches. This was messing with my head so I tested it and what do you know? Using the centre patch and recomposing was on average more accurate despite the changed focal plane.

The other issue is that really fast lenses tend not to be pin sharp at the edge of the frame wide open so it is a good idea not to place the subject too far into the outer field wide open.

Sliding left and right is also the technique I use if the shift is dramatic. Works nicely most of the time.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GrahamWelland View Post
    Regardless of the 'lux or focus technique, that's a neat photo.
    Thanks. Here is one more, difficult with a moving subject and with extremely low light:

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with Graham: you gotta give a lot of the credit to the photogapher and the kids on the 4th one. Same with the later one of the girl reaching out of the box. We also now know that the 24 Lux is the perfect camera for photographing your wife across the table at dinner without having to move back or have the waiter do it for you. Not kidding. I've tried that with other lenses and you cannot get the whole table included like that. I'm sure there's other spots like that for the 24mm. Anyone want to comment on the added quality over the 24mm f2.8 lens that has such a great reputation? Is the difference worth the extra $ 2,000?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by larryk View Post
    I agree with Graham: you gotta give a lot of the credit to the photogapher and the kids on the 4th one. Same with the later one of the girl reaching out of the box. We also now know that the 24 Lux is the perfect camera for photographing your wife across the table at dinner without having to move back or have the waiter do it for you. Not kidding. I've tried that with other lenses and you cannot get the whole table included like that. I'm sure there's other spots like that for the 24mm. Anyone want to comment on the added quality over the 24mm f2.8 lens that has such a great reputation? Is the difference worth the extra $ 2,000?
    2 stops is a lot on it's own - with a 24mm, f1.4 opens up a whole new world of creative potential with selective focus which simply does not really exist with the f2.8.... Is it worth $2000 for the difference? C'mon - this is Leica gear and no-one knows nor cares about the answer to such an obtuse query!!

Post Thanks / Like

pic of my wife and my little boy
    This lens never failed to amaze me.... @F1.4

@F4
    Last edited by deepdiver; 28th May 2010 at 04:45.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Great images! and a pretty family!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by t_streng View Post
    Great images! and a pretty family!
    Hi T-Streng
    Thx u

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Actually the problem is even worse, especially with a wide-aperture wideangle lens - if the lens has a flat plane of focus. At an angle off-center the focus distance is actually further away from the lens than on axis. So by definition you cannot focus properly this way unless you compensate focusing distance based on trigonometry. So a 24/1.4 on a rangefinder is unfortunately not a good idea unless your subject is always dead center.

Defocus rendering of this lens is spectacular though. And it better be for that price hehe.
    Monochrome: http://mochro.com

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lars Vinberg View Post
    So a 24/1.4 on a rangefinder is unfortunately not a good idea unless your subject is always dead center....
    Or quite far away in which case the difference in actual focus difference is minimal. Shooting people who are somewhat off centre and the other side of the room allows for DOF to absorb differences even wide open in my experience. I tend to use mine at distance wide open and up close I like to stop down if possible. I am not after the OOF effects but the speed and at medium distance the whole frame tends to be reasonably sharp even with slightly offset subjects.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Wonderful photos.

You give me ideas for what to do when next I have the copious discretionary income required. ;-)

Seriously, though, I'd love an ultra-fast, short lens like that on a Leica M ... or any other camera. I have the equivalence in a Micro-FourThirds fitted with 12.5mm f/1.4 C-mount lens at present, but it's obviously not the same as a lens which fully covers the format and is of the quality shown in these photos.

nomored3

My 24 Lux - got it last Friday and it is way better than my new 24mm AFS !

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Godfrey View Post
    Wonderful photos.

You give me ideas for what to do when next I have the copious discretionary income required. ;-)
    HI Godfrey
    It's where my discretionary income runs out as well
    considerably short of the noctilux, and I'd like one of them too

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by nomored3 View Post

Care to elaborate on that?

nomored3

Care to elaborate on that?
    Light. And the focus uncertainty with D3s of the AFS defeats the purpose. But manually focusing it no problem. I'm also old fashioned - the G lens means no aperture ring but yes, it is better sealed against rain.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Light. And the focus uncertainty with D3s of the AFS defeats the purpose. But manually focusing it no problem. I'm also old fashioned - the G lens means no aperture ring but yes, it is better sealed against rain.
    Yes Nikon doesn't seem to have gotten QC geared up properly on the 24. What about image rendering?

Post Thanks / Like

Shooting from the Esplanade?

nomored3

Shooting from the Esplanade?
    Yeah .. from start of the bridge. Yesterday morning at around 8am - f5.6 i think. Can't wait for rest of skyline to fill up ... too boring for too many years

nomored3

Yes Nikon doesn't seem to have gotten QC geared up properly on the 24. What about image rendering?
    Images if focused correctly is nice / clean. It comes back to whole weight issue - with 24mm f1.4 on M9 i see no point bringing around a SLR, even a D700 class machine is bigger than M9. Final reason i hang on to D3 is to use it at F1 races when i get invited to paddock each year at the Singapore night race

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks. Here is one more, difficult with a moving subject and with extremely low light:

I LOVE this shot Hacker......Peter

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

24Lux...also one of my favorite lenses...

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

correct link...

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by t_streng View Post
    correct link...
    Terrific!

Marc