The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Size of Zeiss Biogon C 21mm f/4.5 and Biogon 21mm f/2.8?

patashnik

Hi,
I was wondering if anyone had a photo of how the two 21mm Zeiss' lenses look on a Leica M? I'm wondering if the size difference is large, and specifically the f/4.5 is interesting.

dierk

I have the C-Biogon and like it very much, but I can not compare the two.
For me the main agvantadge of the C-Biogon is no distortion:thumbup:

here are many examples (with M9)

tom in mpls

Technical Specifications

Focal length 21 mm
Aperture range f/4.5 - f/22
Dimensions (with caps) ø 53 mm, length 56 mm
Weight 210 g
From Popflash: "ZEISS DOES NOT RECOMMEND THIS LENS (f/4.5) FOR USE WITH THE LEICA M9 DUE TO COLOR SHIFT"

Focal length 21 mm
Aperture range 2.8 – 22 (1/3 steps)
Dimensions (with caps) ø 53 mm, length 75 mm
Weight 280 g

Zeiss is talking about reddish vignetting on the left side of the frame with M9. You won't like this - but you can fix it with CornerFix.

I use the f2.8, which is a fine lens. The price increase over the f4.5 was a lot less than I'd expect, & for that reason the slower lens seemed 'uninteresting.'

I use the 2.8 with external viewfinders (28 & 21mm) on both M8 & 9. If you wear glasses you can't see the framelines with M8, & you don't have 21 lines in the M9. Interference of larger lens & hood isn't a problem if you use an external finder. The CV external finders are OK – you don't have to buy the more expensive Zeiss ones.

I recommend a hood, because I got some flare, probably from M8 UVIR filter, when I tried to get by without one.

The 25/28mm hood works better on the M8 than the 21mm hood, but it vignettes a bit on M9 (or on film M).

Kirk

patashnik

Thank you all, I decided to go with the Biogon C. The issues on the M9 doesn't worry me, since I'm not interested in digital M.

vb_vmb

I have the C-Biogon and like it very much, but I can not compare the two.
For me the main agvantadge of the C-Biogon is no distortion:thumbup:

here are many examples (with M9)
hi, i have seen your link to pics with M9, pl give some details of your experience with ziess on M9 and which ver. F2.8 or f4.5 (colour sift, coding etc)