The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Giotto AEGIS Glass Screen Protectors

H

Haya

I have this on my M8 LCD it's great ! Doesn't come close to any of the buttons its made to fit the lcd perfectly.

Just be careful when installing it to line it up properly, you only get one shot to stick it on.. because once its on you can't get it off....

I would recommend having the lcd on with an image when you stick it on to make sure the frame doesn't cover the text on screen.

Will from Photovillage gave me a tip if I ever do need to remove it to put it under a hairdryer for a min and it will loosen up!

glenerrolrd

Workshop Member
I use them on 2 of my m8s . The big advantage IMHO is that you can beat them up when cleaning them. My Luigi cases have no LCD protection so they are exposed ..not a problem so far. Only negatives have been that if they aren t perfectly square ..you can break an edge(means you should replace it.) and they are reported to be hard to get off(hair dryer required to loosen the glue). I have been using then for 6 months ( about 8000 images).

robsteve

Subscriber
There was at least one post where a user tried removing it using a hair drier and the M8 cover glass came with it.

robertwright

on the other thread a lot of people seemed to like the Zagg product so I ordered one and will try it. I am hoping the wet mount procedure makes it adhere tightly which might hide the marks I have now.

the marks are from friction in the bag while I am walking. nylon is tough stuff.

Peter Klein

The Giotto protector I got from PopFlash is a little bigger than the M8 screen, so the glass juts out a little bit. I wondered why my glasses were getting scratched (fortunately not where I look through). Then I put some black plastic tape over the upper left corner of the protector where it juts out, and all was well again.

It does do a good job of protecting the LCD from shirt buttons, jacket zippers and such.

I have read several reports of the M8's own glass coming off when you use a hair dryer to remove the Giotto. So be very careful. If I were tyring to remove mine, I'd used many short applicatios of the hot air directly from above. The idea would be to heat the Giotto just enough for removal without excessively warming the Leica cover below it. Maybe use a flat wooden toothpick to get the protector off without exerting upward force on the Leica glass. But best leave it alone unless you really, really need to remove it.

--Peter

Stuart Richardson

Yeah, I would not recommend one. I did not hear about the hairdryer technique, and I tried to take mine off the other day because the glass broke (the edge is bigger than the M8 screen, and it cracked, leaving a jagged edge). Sure enough, my M8 cover glass popped off right with it. I was LIVID. I don't blame Tony, but man, I was pissed. I stuck the M8 cover glass back on and there seems to be enough adhesive to still hold it, but that sapphire screen that I was laughing at is sounding better and better.